Oculus Quest?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Nope.  It's a dead idea, for SL anyway.  Sansar was the Lab's venture into VR stuff, and it was a bust, so don't expect it in SL. 

There were, at one point in the distance past, a few test sims for VR in SL, were there not? Didn't Jo Yardley experiment with this a bit?

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

at one point in the distance past

Quite distant, yes. LL toyed with VR for a while and, in fact, had a project viewer for it.  That was, what, 2015 maybe?  Anyway, it was a short-lived experiment that has joined the dustbin with other "interesting" ideas.

• Thanks 1

It's a shame because although I probably lag cutting edge IT stuff by at least ten years, the idea of headsetting round a perfect world is very alluring as a concept.

Oculus Quest sounds like a user name btw.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

I haven't seen anyone doing anything with VR related to SL in 4+ years. 

The viewers used for the experiments are still around and the VR source code is out there. But, the viewer versions used are way obsolete now. I suspect it would be quite a task to get one running. Plus they never had a decent UI. People were expecting the Lab to develop the UI for VR. That work stopped and VR basically became a stalled project in SL... and it seems in most of the world except for specialized applications.

The current viewers can do a couple of types 3D, shutter glasses and red/blue lenses. It has been awhile since I looked for a viewer with those mods.

4 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I haven't seen anyone doing anything with VR related to SL in 4+ years. 

The viewers used for the experiments are still around and the VR source code is out there. But, the viewer versions used are way obsolete now. I suspect it would be quite a task to get one running. Plus they never had a decent UI. People were expecting the Lab to develop the UI for VR. That work stopped and VR basically became a stalled project in SL... and it seems in most of the world except for specialized applications.

The current viewers can do a couple of types 3D, shutter glasses and red/blue lenses. It has been awhile since I looked for a viewer with those mods.

Here are a couple of links for source and information on current VR viewer mods:

https://github.com/humbletim/firestorm-gha/releases

https://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/atate/2020/06/04/firestorm-vr-mod-6-3-9/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We won't see VR in Second Life, but Sansar was created with VR in mind...and despite LL selling it off, it appears to be still alive.  At least one sizable SL merchant just today sent out a notice she's closing up her SL business and moving it to Sansar (Ellie Monk of Elinique and Shoenique)

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

We won't see VR in Second Life, but Sansar was created with VR in mind...and despite LL selling it off, it appears to be still alive.  At least one sizable SL merchant just today sent out a notice she's closing up her SL business and moving it to Sansar (Ellie Monk of Elinique and Shoenique)

Never heard of them. Their listings look like rebrands of full-perm clothes. Since Sansar has so few people maybe they can get some recognition, but hopefully not with stuff that is not supposed to be exported to other grids. 😉

I just tried it! And.....it works!!! But what an ordeal it was to get it set up. 

First I downloaded the Firestorm P373R VR mod here: https://github.com/humbletim/firestorm-gha/releases/tag/v6.4.5-vr-alpha-1

With a few helpful notes from the developer here: https://gsgrid.de/firestorm-vr-mod/

And a few more helpful notes from this chap: http://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/atate/2020/06/04/firestorm-vr-mod-6-3-9/

I have an Oculus Quest (which I bought at a huge discount on cyber Monday last year) and the first problem was that it needed an update. The instructions for updating it are as follows..."just turn your device and let it sit on a table for a while, yeah, it'll update". After an hour I realized this wasn't working so I had to a factory reset and reinstall my fake F*book account. During the new setup it updated!

The next step was to run the Oculus software I had installed on my PC a while ago. This is the software for Oculus Rift owners with a VR ready PC. I have the lowest level VR ready PC.

To use the Quest on the PC I needed a link cable which Oculus sells for $79! Fortunately, I found an alternative USB cable that costs less.

Within the Oculus PC software, I set it to connect a Quest device and then plugged the cable between the PC and Quest. Inside the Quest, I went into options and enabled the LINK. The PC software detects the Quest and inside the Quest, the view changes from the Quest home to the Oculus PC home.

Then, I installed Steam VR from the Steam website. With the Oculus PC software running, I launched the Steam VR software and inside the Quest, the view changes from the Oculus PC home to the Steam VR home.

Finally, I launched Firestorm VR and it comes up as it normally does on the PC monitor. Inside the Quest, the view changes to just a window that says Firestorm VR. Pressing 'ctrl-tab' enables the VR driver and then pressing 'tab' launches the viewer into the Quest. I could finally see Second Life in VR but it was a split screen and it looked horrible! There is a setting in Firestorm VR called 'texture shift' which can be used to push the screens together and that finally got SL to look like a proper VR environment.

Another thing I learned is you need to keep your mouse pointer at the center of the screen! Firestorm VR offsets the view to the corners or sides of the screen if you have your pointer out of the center. The adjustment menu in Firestorm VR is brought up with F5 and you press F5 to scroll through the settings. Pressing F6 and F7 are the up and down adjustments for the menu. It's kind of like how the menus on my monitor work.

And that's it! I kind of wrote this as a reminder to myself. The SL graphics in the Quest are blurry and crappy at a distance but crisp and wonderfully three dimensional up-close! Welcome to the myopia simulator! This is actually how other games look in VR though. I didn't get any dizzyness either because SL isn't really filled with the type of motion that causes me problems. So does SL work in VR? I'd say definitely yes. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2020 at 8:53 PM, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Is there other VRs besides the Oculus? Some are now avoiding that brand due to FB requiring a FB account for it now. I won't touch FB with a 10 metre pole, even when wearing a face mask!

There are many headsets beside the oculus. Pimax,Vive,Index,Oddesy to name a few

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I use a vive cosmos.. I launched steam vr, then opened up Firestorm VR and followed onscreen instructions and hot Cntrl +Tab key. Had to do that a couple of times. The interface finally got to that split screen thing. Mine was like 2 screens in one. Or on top of each other.. For the life of me.. I couldnt find "There is a setting in Firestorm VR called 'texture shift'" Not under Avatar preferences and any of those tabs esp graphics.. One other thing, my screen was minimized to a smaller big screen within my paly area, and I couldnt walk.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.