Oculus Quest?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi @Aluviel Nakamura to get to the texture shift option you press F5 to open the settings menu. Here's some additional screens.

1. Below is the Steam VR home screen. This isn't my home screen. I copied it from a website.

613302871_1SteamVRVirtualView.png.78f65845fa13b3cccaf22566b65fcf80.png

2. When you start Firestorm VR you will still see the Steam VR home in your headset but you will see the Firestorm VR window on your desktop. You press ctrl-tab to enable VR mode. The tricky part is pressing ctrl-tab when you can't even see the keyboard. Use the Force! Or just peek under your headset.

2121262994_1FirestormVRDesktopViewStartup.png.088855510cae1de8045b14032ac67f99.png

3. After pressing ctrl-tab you get the screen below in Firestorm VR window on your desktop. 

598019381_2FirestormVRDesktopViewPressCtrl-Tab.png.d06f2409a6d992908941a94896cbba1d.png

4. The Steam VR home will change to the screen below in your headset.

1025123059_3FirestormVRVirtualViewPressCtrl-Tab.png.2657078f0a81a86dcc275cb6cd0a7858.png

5. Pressing TAB will enter VR mode and you will see the same screen in both the Firestorm VR window and in your headset. Pressing F5 will take you to the options menu which is not a regular Firestorm menu. It appears in the middle of the screen. Every time you press F5 it will scroll through each setting and pressing F6 and F7 will adjust the value up and down. Texture shift is the setting that you need to adjust to correct the double vision. It looks like mine is at 60. The Firestorm VR window on your desktop will show as a small window (not full screen and not maximized). I think the Firestorm VR is resizing the window view to display it properly in your headset. To move, you can use the keyboard movement keys. You can also double click with your mouse pointer or double click with your VR pointer.

218450483_4FirestormVRVirtualViewPressTab.png.4d2d1aa035ccce7ac51b20da1c28a0e5.png

• Like 3

Wow Bree!! TY for such a nice detailed message with photo visuals. It makes way more sense now. I will try this tonight. My vive cosmos has little joy sticks in the hand controllers. I am hoping I can just use them like a joy pad to walk about.  other wise I will have re draw boundary lines for every single different game I play. That can be tedious.  I hope to virtually met you in game sometime^^ My current look is attached

Haunted house 2020_002.png

im so sorry Bree, these options just dont work for Vive..  even when I take my wireles keyboard into the play area. and try to hit tab, its like the keyboard is no longer communitcating. so thats issue 1.

issue 2.

I get in game  same thing i cant hit alt even when I pull up the virtual keyboard or my real one. Im pounding on the tab, then cntrl alt tab. just as you said, Im about to scream and cry at the same time. 

Hast anyone got this work for Vive????what a aste of money I paid double for vive and I feel like dying

12 hours ago, Aluviel Nakamura said:

im so sorry Bree, these options just dont work for Vive..  even when I take my wireles keyboard into the play area. and try to hit tab, its like the keyboard is no longer communitcating. so thats issue 1.

issue 2.

I get in game  same thing i cant hit alt even when I pull up the virtual keyboard or my real one. Im pounding on the tab, then cntrl alt tab. just as you said, Im about to scream and cry at the same time. 

Hast anyone got this work for Vive????what a aste of money I paid double for vive and I feel like dying

How far are you getting? I'm guessing you are able to see the Steam VR home in your Vive headset (see pic 1 above). When you start Firestorm VR you should be taking off the headset and looking at just your desktop monitor to see the screen that says 'press ctrl-tab' (see pic 2). Pressing ctrl-tab on your keyboard should still work, I hope, and you should see on your desktop monitor Firestorm will show 'initializing vr driver' (see pic 3). Then pressing tab will launch Firestorm VR into your headset. But...you can still look at your desktop monitor to look at Firestorm and press F5 to bring up the menu.

With the double-vision you might be getting in your headset, it will be easier to just lift your headset and try adjusting the settings while looking at Firestorm on the desktop monitor (see pic 5).

Also, remember that you have to put your mouse pointer at the center of the Firestorm VR window on your desktop monitor in order to get the correct view inside your headset.

The Vive is a nice VR headset! You should also try some of the VR games on Steam or go to YouTube and watch 360 videos.

Edited by Bree Giffen

• 2 months later...

Husband fell in love with his Oculus Quest 2 and ended up buying me one last week so I thought I'd give Second Life in VR a go! Thanks for the instructions on here which did help me clarify a couple of places where I went wrong. It was a fair bit of messing around! 

Anyway... I'm actually pretty impressed with the results. The controls are... meh. Mixing using the keyboard (whilst blind) with the Quest controllers isn't ideal. This severely limits what you are actually able to do. However this is just a mod project so I'm not complaining, just clarifying this is far, far from perfect before I get on to the next bit... 

I thought it was amazing. Seeing the house I've worked on for a couple of years now in VR, getting the right height perspective on things and feeling a little like I'm there was worth the effort alone. Walking around the Mainland was fun (for once) and I even saw a firework display that just seemed so much more impressive in VR than I've ever found them in the normal viewer. Finally I popped by TMD and viewing the product offerings from a first person perspective was beautiful. Loved it. 

It has a long way to go but as a proof of concept I think it has proven beyond a doubt VR CAN work with Second Life and given a bit of work I don't see why this can't become slightly more mainstream within the SL community. 

Basically... 8/10 would use again. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

a) price
b) hardware
c) facebook
d) not wanting to sit with such thing on the face
e) some more....

As I said... "slightly more mainstream" ;) 

I know it isn't for everyone, or even most, but it has potential for some. 

26 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I beg to differ, Miss Amore!  Everything in VR is sooooo much more beautiful.

Have you seen Reid Parkin's flowers in VR?  Truly amazing...

As @Rolig Loonsaid....Meh.  If I want to see beautiful life-like flowers, I have RL for that.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jae Villa said:

I know it isn't for everyone, or even most, but it has potential for some. 

Yes, loads of people love VR...I talk to them all the time in VR venues.  People on this forum, not so much -- understandable, as this is a forum for those who became accustomed to a world without VR and it's great for them.

What I find strange is that most of the people dissing VR never even tried it once!!  lol

• Like 1

VR needs to stay as far away from Second Life as possible. Yes, that is my personal opinion but as far as that goes, I am adamant on it.

The only way to make Second Life properly usable in VR includes severely restricting the current creative freedom the user base has - there is no getting around that at all.

You want VR? Go use VR Chat or something similar.

• Like 2

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, loads of people love VR...I talk to them all the time in VR venues.  People on this forum, not so much -- understandable, as this is a forum for those who became accustomed to a world without VR and it's great for them.

What I find strange is that most of the people dissing VR never even tried it once!!  lol

Tried it. Getting an Oculus Quest 2 today.

My views on Second Life and VR remain unchanged.

• Like 1

Just now, Solar Legion said:
1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Tried it. Getting an Oculus Quest 2 today.

My views on Second Life and VR remain unchanged.

Ahh, so let me get this right...you like VR but just not for Second Life?  Indeed, you can't create in it, but the touring around is fun.

How did you feel about the Facebook requirement for logging in?  I didn't like it at first, but discovered it's really no biggie. If they start with advertisements though I'm out of there and seeking another brand of headset if I can afford it.  The $299 price point of Oculus 2 was just too good to pass up however.

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Ahh, so let me get this right...you like VR but just not for Second Life?  Indeed, you can't create in it, but the touring around is fun.

How did you feel about the Facebook requirement for logging in?  I didn't like it at first, but discovered it's really no biggie. If they start with advertisements though I'm out of there and seeking another brand of headset if I can afford it.  The $299 price point of Oculus 2 was just too good to pass up however.

I do not like what VR for Second Life will require: An absolute end to the current level of creative freedom. We already have too many user that seem to think it would be a good idea for strict limits on a variety of factors. That needs to stop - last Millennium.

As far as the Facebook requirement ... Meh. Not a deal breaker for me.

• Like 1

To add to my two recent posts: VR support on Linux is still a bit tricky as well, though Valve has been making some good strides in that direction.

Until that is a fair bit further along and I - personally - have a better GPU, I'll be 'limited' to what I can put on the Quest 2 internal memory.

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

VR needs to stay as far away from Second Life as possible. Yes, that is my personal opinion but as far as that goes, I am adamant on it.

The only way to make Second Life properly usable in VR includes severely restricting the current creative freedom the user base has - there is no getting around that at all.

You want VR? Go use VR Chat or something similar.

I've not suggested making Second Life "properly" VR (i.e. changing things). I like Firestorm VR's approach of simply making VR work WITH Second Life as it exists. Current VR interactivity abilities (both technically and cost-wise) mean there's no way Second Life could "properly" shift to VR etc. 

It is, however, a really neat additional viewer and it gives unusual perspectives. I've been on Second Life since circa 2006, I've NO wish to put any obstacles in the way of both creative AND personal freedoms which are things I value highly. 

No subtraction, just addition (for the select few who'd like it). 

If I had a good chunk of a months rent to waste on toys - I would get something useful. That did not feed the zuckBorg. I guess if my husband bnought one for me after playing (with) himself for a while I am sure I could find a use for it. Tied to a brick possibly.

Oh BTW luna et al - tried every one of these things in all their incarnations since the mid 70s. And nope still as impressive as an ashtray on a bike.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.