You hear a knock at your door.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

51 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

There is zero context to the OP's question.

So I say YES!!! NAO!!! Because the video guarantees me posh living at no charge and having anything and everything I can dream of for the rest of my life and the rest of the lives of my children, grand children, great grand children and so on into perpetuity.

Edit to add: OMG!!! I read back through the thread and except for one (that is neutral) every other comment is a negative and mine is the one and only (as of this writing) POSITIVE LOL

All you people have issues Bahahaha! [Edit again to add]: (Except @Beth Macbain below me (Yay for positive thinking!)) Hahaha!

I don't think it's necessarily negative to cut it short and be abrupt because there are people who if you give them an inch, they will take a mile.  Being too kind-hearted or naive can lead them to wanting to come in and sit down and it could take an hour or more before they get to what they really want and that is usually money.  

I don't see that as a negative.  I see that as being selective.  The "you won't regret it" does sound like a sales pitch.  I think sales people use that term a lot.   

Edit:  Though I know you are joking of course.  

Yeah and if you buy the product Alyona they will tell you are guaranteed to make an income to $50,000 dollars your first month because they have "leads" all set up for you.  

With certain sell it yourself products, it is a bit like a cult but I'd call them more like "oddities".  The product, however, is their religion.   

I don't know if it's necessarily a negative...though I can say for myself...I could be a bit "jaded" about things like what the OP is describing.  

Edited by FairreLilette

23 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't think it's necessarily negative to cut it short and be abrupt because there are people who if you give them an inch, they will take a mile.  Being too kind-hearted or naive can lead them to wanting to come in and sit down and it could take an hour or more before they get to what they really want and that is usually money.  

I don't see that as a negative.  I see that as being selective.  The "you won't regret it" does sound like a sales pitch.  I think sales people use that term a lot.   

Edit:  Though I know you are joking of course.  

Yeah and if you buy the product Alyona they will tell you are guaranteed to make an income to $50,000 dollars your first month because they have "leads" all set up for you.  

With certain sell it yourself products, it is a bit like a cult but I'd call them more like "oddities".  The product, however, is their religion.   

I reiterate: there is ZERO context in the OP. So were are meant to project and create the entire scenario. Since that entire scenario can be anything we can think of, what is the first thing people are thinking of? A negative scenario. I rest my case. :P  And, yes - thank you for recognizing my intent at humor. I usually have epic fail in that regard! Hahaha

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I reiterate: there is ZERO context in the OP. So were are meant to project and create the entire scenario. Since that entire scenario can be anything we can think of, what is the first thing people are thinking of? A negative scenario. I rest my case. :P  And, yes - thank you for recognizing my intent at humor. I usually have epic fail in that regard! Hahaha

I added into my post above...I think I am a bit "jaded".  The "you won't regret it" part probably sent signals to my subconscious.   A red flag went up.  So did the "twinsy outfits"....and the watching me...which sounds like it would be a used as a sales pitch...I'm just so amazing...$50k guaranteed my first month (it's the they're going to use the flattery angle)!  There are red flags in the OP...to me there are, anyhow.  

Edited by FairreLilette

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

I added into my post above...I think I am a bit "jaded".  The "you won't regret it" part probably sent signals to my subconscious.

I agree and it applies to everyone, including myself. As hard as I try to always maintain a positive attitude toward things, it's not always possible. I will admit I was thinking like everyone else as I was reading the OP, until I realized that it stopped before the scenario context was created. LOL So I thought "Well, if it can be anything, then why not something wonderful?" :)

I am happy that you've seen enough of my gibberish in these forums to know that I always try to laugh when I can and, hopefully, get others to laugh. As for "You all have issues" - I am first to point to myself (points to forum title). :D

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I agree and it applies to everyone, including myself. As hard as I try to always maintain a positive attitude toward things, it's not always possible. I will admit I was thinking like everyone else as I was reading the OP, until I realized that it stopped before the scenario context was created. LOL So I thought "Well, if it can be anything, then why not something wonderful?" :)

I am happy that you've seen enough of my gibberish in these forums to know that I always try to laugh when I can and, hopefully, get others to laugh. As for "You all have issues" - I am first to point to myself (points to forum title). :D

Yes, to be honest...I thought about perhaps it could be something wonderful...but I am jaded because of other experiences in that they never were something wonderful though the sales pitch can make it sound wonderful...it just isn't.  

Sometimes being in on the ground floor of the beginning of a product can be wonderful and you can make a lot of money...but once it's too diluted, it's very difficult to make money.  Ebay was like that when I started nearly 20 years ago.  Ebay is way diluted now.   I'm glad I didn't turn Ebay down though.  That is one thing I will never regret being in on the beginning like that.  

All of the experiences I've had similar to what the OP is describing is either about a religion or a product that is like a religion that people become fanatical about.  

I am a-religious.   This does not mean I am anti-spiritual though.  

But I know what you are saying.  Should I give all a chance then?  Hmmmmmmmmm...something to think about.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

You open it to find a man and woman in simple blue uniforms, smiling in an odd way at you. You ask what they need. They say, "We have been observing you. We would like you to join us." They offer you a mysterious video disc, and then they say, "Please watch the video. You will not regret it. Tomorrow we will come back and find out if you wish to join us or not."

What do you do?

I'd first ask for some ID.  Assuming they actually stick around and give me some, then I'd take pictures of the ID and them, accept the video as possible evidence, and then promptly call the police to report them - at the very least they have admitted to stalking me,

Yes, I'm extremely skeptical of it being anything good.  I'm basically a cynic at heart.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'd first ask for some ID.  Assuming they actually stick around and give me some, then I'd take pictures of the ID and them, accept the video as possible evidence, and then promptly call the police to report them - at the very least they have admitted to stalking me

Mostly this, especially considering I live in a neighborhood where this type of unsolicited activity is not allowed (gated community).

When I used to live in a non-gated neighborhood where this kind of activity took place, I used a number of (what I thought to be) humorous tactics to dissuade them from actually returning (at least to my door), including, as another has already suggested earlier, greeting them while fully naked. Sometimes the tactics worked, other times they backfired. Oh well... live and learn.

• Like 1

I thought about the stalking thing as well.   

But, there is also the possibility it's somehow going to turn into the flattery angle where they are trying to "butter me up" to sell me something.  Still the biggest red flag is really the stalking aspect of it.  It's just weird.

However, I got to thinking about what Alyona said about it being something positive.

Imagine it being about the internet in it's beginning, or Second Life or Ebay at their beginning and I turned it down.  But, then again, I'm sure I would have heard about those eventually.

Computers were too expensive in the beginning....but there was a lot of talk everywhere.  There was nothing to lose by turning the computer nor Second Life nor even Ebay down via just two people at my door.   

With Ebay, I needed to go to the expense of a digital camera 20 years ago and go into a complete unknown.   My main hobby was photography and the first digital cameras were not SLR's back then....and I only liked SLR's.  I believe I paid $500 hundred dollars for my Nikon Cool Pix of 20 years ago and it had 2 megapixels; however, it was a cool camera.  But, Ebay just happened to be a gamble that worked out for me.  

Still, all in all, I think I'm too jaded to give any time to what I'm already convinced is going to be some kind of "spiel"...but this one the OP is describing has a cultist aspect to it, imo.    

Edited by FairreLilette

18 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

You open it to find a man and woman in simple blue uniforms, smiling in an odd way at you. You ask what they need. They say, "We have been observing you. We would like you to join us." They offer you a mysterious video disc, and then they say, "Please watch the video. You will not regret it. Tomorrow we will come back and find out if you wish to join us or not."

What do you do?

I reach for the phone to call the police but I hang up right away because it will not really help me. After all they said they were watching me and besides if they wanted to hurt me they would have done so already. And what the hell is with those cute smiles and that blue uniform? (A little tight fitting if you ask me).

I think back to the movie the Matrix. If I don’t watch the video, I take one pill and life returns to normal. Nothing changes and they either come back or they don’t. Or I watch the video and learn something that perhaps I should or should not know, but either way this sounds like the beginning of an adventure. 

I put the disc and play it.......

Edited by Marut72
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

What do you do?

I terminate their employment. I hired them to recruit other people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

There is zero context to the OP's question.

So I say YES!!! NAO!!! Because the video guarantees me posh living at no charge and having anything and everything I can dream of for the rest of my life and the rest of the lives of my children, grand children, great grand children and so on into perpetuity.

Edit to add: OMG!!! I read back through the thread and except for one (that is neutral) every other comment is a negative and mine is the one and only (as of this writing) POSITIVE LOL

All you people have issues Bahahaha! [Edit again to add]: (Except @Beth Macbain below me (Yay for positive thinking!)) Hahaha!

7 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Of course I would take the disc and watch it, otherwise I'd be questioning it the rest of my life. turns out the odd looking couple are aliens and the disc is a travel brochure from their planet. I've won an all expenses paid vacation with first class accommodations aboard their spaceship. It's a long trip so the plush suite is nice to have. 

The planet is gorgeous and I have so much fun that sit through the alien resort's entire presentation and buy an alien time-share and decide to go back every year.

The ***** probes are kinda weird, but not at all unpleasant...

Of COURSE I thought of this scenario right off the bat.  But it's much more fun for the purposes of the thread to look at the possible catches and dark outcomes instead.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Well, if the situation was purely fictional and they could be anyone I wanted them to be, they'd be secret agents wanting to recruit me because I have supernatural powers, like the Tomorrow People or something like that. 

23 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I detect an experienced video editor!

Not an editor but I did do dubs and ingesting of taped matter to a server that ran commercial breaks. Much like here at SL the saying is "demo, demo, demo!" before purchase, I'd run video signals through a scope for black and chroma levels before sending it to the server. Too much chroma and TV sets would be abuzzing (before HD). Crush the black levels and the images would appear muddy and no real shadow. Levels were to be proper for clients as well as subpoenaed material from news for court testimony.

14 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

But it's much more fun for the purposes of the thread to look at the possible catches and dark outcomes instead.

Okay...

"You die immediately upon taking the disc when the poisonous substance on it makes contact with your skin." Bahahahaha

Huh... need to save that one for the corrupted wish thread...

Edited by Alyona Su

10 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I snap the disk in half and use the sharp edge thus created to sever their carotid artery, push them into the bushes to bleed out, close the door, and return to watching Bourne Identity.

You do realize that your bushes are gonna get trampled by the scavengers that come to clean the carcasses, don't you? And if the bushes are right next to the front sidewalk, you risk sucking bones into your snowblower.

Push the corpses into the neighbor's yard.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You do realize that your bushes are gonna get trampled by the scavengers that come to clean the carcasses, don't you? And if the bushes are right next to the front sidewalk, you risk sucking bones into your snowblower.

Push the corpses into the neighbor's yard.

I don't have a sidewalk, and the front door is far enough from the road that the feral cats in the neighborhood will have disposed of the carcasses in a timely fashion.  Plus, I can stop feeding the cats for a while.

If they've been watching me as well as they claim, they'd know not to bother me before my 3rd cup of coffee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I don't have a sidewalk, and the front door is far enough from the road that the feral cats in the neighborhood will have disposed of the carcasses in a timely fashion.

Send your cats to me. My creatures are underperforming.

At the end of August, the spine and ribcage of an adolescent deer showed up at the edge of my lawn. I mowed around it several times, wondering if everybody had lost interest in it. Last week I finally blew it off the lawn with my walk behind leaf blower. Now it'll spend the winter under a pile of leaves. Mice love to nibble bones and burrow. I wonder what I'll find come spring.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.