Beautiful Abandons

Ellie McGregor

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i nearly never hold them for long :)  i think you also derendered the hedge for a much nicer view at the back ?

You are correct, I derendered the hedge lol. Now if I could just figure out which prim is making all the noise across the street in the front where there are some trees and hedges, it sounds like a swarm of angry bees. I keep derendering trees but that doesn't seem to do the trick. I guess I have lost my touch at locating sound files in SL. 

9 minutes ago, Beryl Greenacre said:

You are correct, I derendered the hedge lol. Now if I could just figure out which prim is making all the noise across the street in the front where there are some trees and hedges, it sounds like a swarm of angry bees. I keep derendering trees but that doesn't seem to do the trick. I guess I have lost my touch at locating sound files in SL. 

I don't believe derendering an object makes sound go away... But the mute/block button will.  Try muting them instead

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Evangeline Ling said:

I don't believe derendering an object makes sound go away... But the mute/block button will.  Try muting them instead

I tried muting objects, and I tried muting the moles who placed the objects in the area (which seems like a bad idea tbh), neither is grabbing the 'angry buzzing bees' sound file that is the irritation. I will do further research.

43 minutes ago, Beryl Greenacre said:

I tried muting objects, and I tried muting the moles who placed the objects in the area (which seems like a bad idea tbh), neither is grabbing the 'angry buzzing bees' sound file that is the irritation. I will do further research.

I found the source for you and send you Ims where and how to douse it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fay Starlight said:

I found the source for you and send you Ims where and how to douse it.

Oh, my word, thank you so much for taking the time and making the effort to help me with this! I forgot how to show transparent objects so I could derender/mute them (cntrl + alt + t), and that was exactly what I needed to find the source of the sound files. (Now I can un-block the moles lolol.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After 2 years in a beautiful boat, I have finally decided to change to a green mountain area and try if I could get some abandoned beauty. But I have used all 5 attempts and I could only see two different terrains, near the last one that it offered me twice in a row, there is an abandoned one that could be perfect for me. 

I know that it is the machine that assigns the land randomly, but it is frustrating to spend 5 attempts and see only two knowing that several more are available and even more when you see one without an owner that you love. :(

I hope to have better luck tomorrow.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, AmandaMir said:

After 2 years in a beautiful boat, I have finally decided to change to a green mountain area and try if I could get some abandoned beauty. But I have used all 5 attempts and I could only see two different terrains, near the last one that it offered me twice in a row, there is an abandoned one that could be perfect for me. 

I know that it is the machine that assigns the land randomly, but it is frustrating to spend 5 attempts and see only two knowing that several more are available and even more when you see one without an owner that you love. :(

I hope to have better luck tomorrow.

We've all been there.  I sure wish there was a way to blacklist a home you have abandoned even if the blacklisting only lasted 24 hours.

Keep trying!  There will be some good ones in the next few days or weeks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

We've all been there.  I sure wish there was a way to blacklist a home you have abandoned even if the blacklisting only lasted 24 hours.

Keep trying!  There will be some good ones in the next few days or weeks.

That should happen automatically!

For if you abandon a home you obviously don't want it back straightaway!

• Like 6

On 2/17/2022 at 7:26 AM, Leora Jacobus said:

That should happen automatically!

For if you abandon a home you obviously don't want it back straightaway!

It doesn't, never has and never was supposed to. But it should.

If you pause your search and keep checking the world map until the house you don't want is no longer showing "Linden Home" as the parcel name, then you're safe to try again. Although more likely, you'll find that the theme you want is no longer on the land page, indicating that the one you abandoned was the only one of its type available. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Karl Herber said:

If you pause your search and keep checking the world map until the house you don't want is no longer showing "Linden Home" as the parcel name, then you're safe to try again. Although more likely, you'll find that the theme you want is no longer on the land page, indicating that the one you abandoned was the only one of its type available. 

In Firestorm, at least, you can also right-click that parcel in your Teleport history, and it will show its current name, either Linden Home or something new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Karl Herber said:

I was under the impression that at least two homes should be available from one theme to appear on the website. Or is that an urban myth I picked up somewhere?

2 minutes ago, Mari Bumblefoot said:

I was under the impression that at least two homes should be available from one theme to appear on the website. Or is that an urban myth I picked up somewhere?

Urban myth. For some reason it persists, especially regarding Victorians. Not at all borne out by my playing GoH with an alt over the last 2 weeks.

Edited by Frigga Freidman

4 minutes ago, Frigga Freidman said:

Urban myth. For some reason it persists, especially regarding Victorians. Not at all borne out by my playing GoH with an alt over the last 2 weeks.

Oh man, I've totally based my GoH tactics on this myth. I've been hunting Traditionals these last few weeks and it always seemed true. It's time to let go of it then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mari Bumblefoot said:

Well coughs it never did not work for me :) tried with every single home type, just a couple of thousand times for almost 3 years

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mari Bumblefoot said:

Well, call me Mythological Sue, because I believe it too.  It is easiest to see this when you are trying to swap a home between two avatars during a time when there are no other homes of that theme being abandoned.  If, however, there are other homes already in the queue, it's really hard to tell what's happening.

I'll go further out on this limb, by saying that if the queue for that theme of home is empty, it seems to me that the most recently released home appears first on the land page.  This may be what is happening when you abandon a home and it immediately shows up on the page.

Of course, once one of the homes is claimed, there is only one remaining available.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

Well, call me Mythological Sue, because I believe it too.  It is easiest to see this when you are trying to swap a home between two avatars during a time when there are no other homes of that theme being abandoned.  If, however, there are other homes already in the queue, it's really hard to tell what's happening.

I'll go further out on this limb, by saying that if the queue for that theme of home is empty, it seems to me that the most recently released home appears first on the land page.  This may be what is happening when you abandon a home and it immediately shows up on the page.

Of course, once one of the homes is claimed, there is only one remaining available.

Well, one day last week I'd snagged and then almost immediately abandoned 4 different Vics (not one after the other but over a period of several hours). In one of those cases, I got the one that was mentioned by someone in Belli Cit a minute earlier. When I got each Vic, that disappeared as an option from the LP (watched from another log-in). When I abandoned each one, I looked to see when that option re-appeared on the LP. In 3 out of 4 cases, it was within a minute. I then watched for a name change from Linden Home via my teleport history, and as soon as that happened I saw that there was no longer a Vic on offer. That tells me that there was only 1 Vic on offer at the time - the one I had just abandoned. (In the 4th case it took too long for any Vic to re-appear on the LP after I'd abandoned mine, so I stopped monitoring it.) I'd also done a variant of this experiment with Vics several weeks ago, when they were scarcer than now - only I claimed and abandoned 4 in the space of 15 minutes. All 4 tries landed the same parcel. When I was in possession, Vics were absent from the LP. 

I see no reason why doubling up rather than making a single parcel in a theme available would benefit anyone, LL or premium account holders. Seems like it would require a thoroughly unnecessary and counterproductive bit of coding. Explanations to the contrary welcome! (What I have noticed is that when a region is newly released, parcels seem to be claimed sequentially starting with the top leftmost first; this kind of coding makes sense to me. Though... in the recent release of Bass Cove, there was no upper left, and the first parcels claimed were the two at the bottom left of the region, below the lake that occupied the entire space above. I know, I know, I have too much time on my hands.)

I've also monitored a trad that I'd abandoned over a period of an hour, and watched as it was successively claimed/abandoned at a time when trads were rarely seen on the LP. Strangely, there was an exact correspondence between its being abandoned and then that option appearing on the LP, and then disappearing from the LP when that parcel was named. Four times in less than 30 minutes (the same person got the parcel twice in a row). Then it stayed on the LP for another 20 minutes of refreshing. The option disappeared at the same time as the parcel was renamed. That's enough to convince me that there was only a single trad in the pool during that hour.

Edited by Frigga Freidman
lots of added thoughts
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Flower Caerndow said:

Maybe it is just the way the system is set up?  It does make it more difficult to move a house from one account to another.

Coding isn't mystical like "the will of the gods" - you don't introduce complications to a system unnecessarily. And I don't think LL is particularly concerned with people attempting to coordinate abandons/claims; the 5 claims per day limit is there to prevent overtaxing of the system, not to frustrate GoH players. So, I repeat, WHY would this be desirable or necessary?

9 minutes ago, Frigga Freidman said:

So, I repeat, WHY would this be desirable or necessary?

Obviously, none of us can answer that question, but I will join others in saying that it has always proven true in my experience that if there is just one of a particular theme in the queue, nothing will drop until another home in that same theme joins the queue. That is why many very experienced GOH players will try to have reserve "burner" homes ready to go when they are trying to accomplish a move of a house among themselves. If you drop the house in and it doesn't appear on the LP, then dropping another house in will get things moving. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Frigga Freidman said:

Coding isn't mystical like "the will of the gods" - you don't introduce complications to a system unnecessarily. And I don't think LL is particularly concerned with people attempting to coordinate abandons/claims; the 5 claims per day limit is there to prevent overtaxing of the system, not to frustrate GoH players. So, I repeat, WHY would this be desirable or necessary?

Let me say I’m not a coder, but merely making an uneducated guess.

No one can answer WHY two homes available is necessary for it to display in the land page, but it is a fact observed time and time again. This is why sometimes people observe homes seemingly stuck in maintenance, because only one of its kind is available. 

My uneducated guess is that the devs made it so if homes available < 2, don’t show on land page. WHY? Probably to reduce frustrations when two people are on the land page at the same time and one of them getting a sold out error because they were slower in typing out their house name. 

Coding is just math. Even when two homes are available and a third person tries, they’ll still get sold out even if they saw the home on the land page. 

Sometimes when you abandon a house and it immediately comes up on land page, when there was no choice displayed before? Like everyone else already said.. hidden house in maintenance. I don’t have to be a dev to guess how this is coded.

• Like 2