Halloween Candy Nutrition

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh look, my favorite topic!

Unlike Maddy, I do like M&Ms, or at least I have a love/hate relationship with them.  I especially like the dark chocolate mint ones.  But, if one is going to pig out on dark chocolate mints, there are better choices, such as Andes.

In regular over-the-counter, buy them anywhere candies, I'll go with Bree's choice of peanut butter cups and KitKats.  I also love Mounds bars, and Snickers (especially if you chill them).  Hershey's Kisses are always nice, but like "fun size" candies they take too much work to unwrap and the pile of wrappings that sits there accusing you after a binge is just awful.

When I really want to indulge, I'll go looking for truffles.  Especially dark chocolate ones, especially mint ones.  And so we come full circle.

• Like 3

Hersey's with almonds is my favorite candy bar.  I mostly buy Hersey's because they do not change the recipe to add other in fad ingredients at least as on my last inspection.  Be very careful of any sweets OR even drinks that say 100% all natural because they could have HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP in them.  High fructose corn syrup is like super high octane sugar and puts weight on a human faster than anything.  Do not ingest anything with high fructose corn syrup in it.  High fructose corn syrup is the leading cause of obesity and diabetes is at pandemic proportions now in America.  Thankfully, I stopped drinking soda or using most stuff with chemicals, additives or preservatives when I was 17.  Though once in a very great while I will have a rootbeer drink.

I love Hersey's kisses, too!  

I live in an adult's only apartment complex and we do not give out candy here.

My sister gives out pretzels on Halloween.  

As far as M & M's, I like the peanut ones only.

p.s.  Be careful of any sweets, I mean.  Read the ingredients and make sure they do not have high fructose corn syrup in them.  Check your breads and baked goods too.  It's a horrible ingredient.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

Okay, mint + chocolate = WRONG!

Do not be soiling my delicious chocolate with some nasty mint! I'm not trying to freshen my breath, I'm trying to numb the pain of... whatever it is that's bothering me!

If I'm forced to eat M&Ms, give me a couple pounds of those peanut butter ones. I can work with that. 

I've never really seen the point of candy that isn't chocolate. Same with desserts in general, unless it's cheesecake. 

And while we're at it, white "chocolate" is wax and should be banished from Earth forever. The Goreans on their counter-Earth can have it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hershey's Kisses plain. Good for sore throats when trying to go to sleep. I can fall asleep with it in my mouth and not have to worry about choking because they melt fast.

Hershey's Kisses with Almonds.

M&Ms with Almonds. A little darker chocolate than Hersey's.

Oh and I probably should mention I love chocolate covered almonds. And ants. Chocolate covered ants are good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't much care for most chocolate candy (from any nation) and never really have. I do really like pressed sugar ones like (US) smarties, nerds, tart n tinies, what they call Canadian mints here (pink pressed sugar pucks, wintergreen flavored) and lifesaver mints, preferably wintergreen flavored (but I love nearly all mint flavored things). I also like gummy candies, mostly gummy bears and worms, but I'm picky about gummy stuff.

My absolute favorite candy is actually root beer barrels, always has been, always will be. It's because my grandpa (mom's dad) used to give them to me ALL the time, the safety concerns notwithstanding, lmao. He was a volunteer firefighter in our village (yes, village, our whole fire department was volunteer) and they used to have a jar sitting on the counter just inside the overhead door. Grandpa used to take me there ALL the time, mostly because I was a troublemaker and mom would have to call grandpa to come get me before I frustrated her too much (biting through my sister's ear, tormenting her, cutting my own below-the-butt hair to barely-should-length hair, using sharpie she still doesn't know where I got to write my name everywhere in, around and on our apartment...you know, midget sized shenanigans). The firefighters liked feeding me candy, pretty sure I was their mascot from birth until 5, and the hard candies they had in the jar didn't really melt, so they always had some around. It's entirely possible I just ate them too fast for them to melt, lol. Grandpa passed away when I was almost 5, but the village still keeps that same jar-now engraved with his name, info, and the words "Monster Jar", it's always full of hard candies, mostly root beer barrels. To get a piece of candy though...you have to ring "bella" (it's a bell I named when I was really little, a smaller version of what is used to signify the last call for a firefighter, in essence) :)

That's also why root beer is my favorite pop (it's not soda, it's pop :P ) 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Darcy Kingmaker said:

Ritter Sport Marzipan is a huge favorite of mine

Yesssss.

My grandmother used to use marzipan in baking, and she would be give me chunks of it as a special treat, so I actually learned to prefer it without chocolate. But on the rare occasions that I treat myself to it (usually around Christmas), Ritter's is good, despite the chocolate. At some delis, though, you can get these sort of half-logs of marzipan with a very thin chocolate coating. THAT is the best.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I was with you up to and including the "almonds" part . . .

Almonds are an excellent source of magnesium which helps me control my acid reflux. A few almonds at night before going to bed can make all the difference in the world. The chocolate is just an added benefit. 

I don't eat them raw. They must be roasted. Same with peanuts. Except I like my peanuts roasted in the shell, NO salt.

And you can thank my dad for the chocolate covered ants. I didn't think they would be good but they are. You don't taste the ants, they just add a bit of crunch to the chocolate. Like a Nestle's Crunch  or a $100,000 bar, only 1000 times better.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 3

No unsalted unshelled peanuts for me, thanks.  Peanut M&Ms though, are good.  The only problem is that you can't stop eating them.  You keep going, one after another, looking for that perfect combination of JUST enough chocolate, JUST enough peanut.  They are always too much or too little of one or the other, but I keep trying.

• Like 5

I don't like chocolate with mint either because I can actually go dark chocolate over milk first.  I want to taste my chocolate.  White chocolate is horrible, so I agree with Beth on the mint and the white chocolate.  

Have any of you tried the dark chocolate milky way bar?  Oh my gahhhhhhhh is about all I have to say on that one.  I never liked Milky Way much before but the dark chocolate one is great!  They are actually called Milky Way Midnight Dark...I'd call them Heaven.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

There's a scene from Monty Python's Meaning of Life I'd like to post here. But it's a little graphic, so let's not. Instead, I'll just attach a picture of whatever the unfortunate Mr. Creosote had.

One of my all-time favorite MP skits.

"Good afternoon, sir. How're you doing?"

"Better."

"Better?"

"Better fetch a bucket..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The ones with caramel are good, but then almost any chocolate with caramel is wonderful IMO.

Oh, chocolate caramels, yes!

The milky way midnight dark is almost always sold out so I've only had it twice.

But, they are so good you could tape them on top of Christmas presents if you can find them.

I just looked where to find and Amazon has a case!  lol   That is a little too many for me...I'd have to sell some where I live!  I didn't know Amazon had candy bars.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

And ants. Chocolate covered ants are good.

Ants!  My father was French.  He has since passed on.  But when I was a kid and we asked what was for dinner, my Dad would say "chocolate covered ants or grasshoppers."  

Sound would fill the house with one roaring DADDDDDDDDDDDDD-DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

The French have strange food, you see.  It was, however, a joke.

On another subject, if any of you like Hersey's Kisses, you have to make the Peanut Blossom Cookies with a Hersey Kiss pressed in the middle.  I always let them age a bit...tastes better if you let them age a week or two...they get real soft in cold storage in the closet and melt in your mouth.  Best cookie I've ever had!  Well, definitely one of them.  Oh yeah, store them with wax paper, too.  It makes these cookies just melt in your mouth if you store them a while and let them "age".  

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/classic-peanut-butter-blossom-cookies/a3563f6e-96b0-443f-ae0a-53cef4be6db6

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I've been eating Kit Kats kept cold in the fridge. They are crispy and delicious. Peanut butter cups are a close second.

I've been loving the Kit Kats covered in "Ruby Cocoa" pink chocolate lately and also love peanut butter cups and their seasonal shapes more the peanut butter inside than the choc on the outside

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm going to admit that, on the whole, I don't much like American chocolate. Hershey's, for instance, always tastes waxy to me.

The absolute masters of candy are the Brits. They make the most glorious everything -- Barratt's Sherbet Fountains, and Quality Street, and Rowntree Pastilles, and EVERYTHING. Even their potato chips (aka crisps) are better: I can only get Oxtail Soup chips when I go specialty candy stores!

British Cadbury chocolate is also very waxy and nasty in taste since the brand got taken over by Kraft/Mondelez whatever it's called now, much prefer Galaxy or Ritter chocolate. Must admit i've never seen Oxtail soup flavour crisps anywhere. They don't exist anymore but i used to like Hedgehog flavour crisps

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.