IP Address Block

tomatojones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

no

not sure why you want to do this - stopping your own behaviour ?  stopping another person in your household's behaviour ?  Either way if this a behavioural issue then you best to consult an RL clinician about the behaviour itself, what is triggering it, what remedies are available, etc

What are you actually trying to accomplish here? It's not meaningful to block a person (nor their network connection) by blocking a mere IP address -- most of the Internet gets a new IP address every time the modem powers up, and even a static IP address is trivial to VPN to a different IP address.

If you're trying to test something exotic about network routing, you'd need to be way more explicit about the details of that, and involve your ISP and a bunch of long-haul internet carriers. That sounds like a multi-month project requiring you to have serious networking staff on your end to do anything actually meaningful with that.

• Like 1

Blocking an ip address in todays times is not a wise solution,  ip addresses are recycled and if some one that uses SL get's that ip that you have used or had, they will be blocked from using the service, as mentioned block it using the windows hosts file.

Edited by bigmoe Whitfield
spelling

If your intention is to stop yourself accessing SL due to addiction, the best solution might be to install parental controls on your PC and block SL that way. If you REALLY don't trust yourself to cheat and turn the parenral controls off  you need a psychologist.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomatojones said:

For personal reasons I want LL to block my IP address so that I can't access SL in any way. Unsurprisingly, they refused.

Anyone know what I can do that is legal to get them to do this for me?

Tom

You could try putting your computer through a wood chipper - that should slow you down. Although I'm a bit surprised you're getting SL-capable internet service under a bridge anyway.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You could try putting your computer through a wood chipper - that should slow you down. Although I'm a bit surprised you're getting SL-capable internet service under a bridge anyway.

You'd be surprised how good wifi is these days. 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

step 1. Get pissed off you can never get a new LL home.

step 2. Make a Post tiled "LL you really do suck" venting your frustration with never being able to get a new Linden home.

step 3. Receive a email warning about posting rules and reply with "Go F yourselves"

That is how I scored a 30 day IP vacation, still had to pay my monthly for that month I will add...it was waiting for me as a behind payment when I could log into the site again.

I will add they banned all my alts as I tried to log in from nabors wifi and still was not able to log in.

Edited by TheDarkhand

2 hours ago, TheDarkhand said:

step 2. Make a Post tiled "LL you really do suck" venting your frustration with never being able to get a new Linden home.

step 3. Receive a email warning about posting rules and reply with "Go F yourselves"

That is how I scored a 30 day IP vacation, still had to pay my monthly for that month I will add...it was waiting for me as a behind payment when I could log into the site again.

I will add they banned all my alts as I tried to log in from nabors wifi and still was not able to log in.

That's a hardware/mac ban, not an IP. ban.

• Like 1

Moe...really?  I mean, if I am logging in my main and my alts from my home PC, they're all using the same public IP, aren't they?  So wouldn't either type of ban (IP or MAC address hardware ban) affect all of one's accounts?

Darkhand...you're lucky it was just for 30 days.  Never give the finger to the Gods, unless you want divine retribution.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Moe...really?  I mean, if I am logging in my main and my alts from my home PC, they're all using the same public IP, aren't they?  So wouldn't either type of ban (IP or MAC address hardware ban) affect all of one's accounts?

Darkhand...you're lucky it was just for 30 days.  Never give the finger to the Gods, unless you want divine retribution.

Except he tried logging in from a neighbor's who would not have the same IP. 

These were account bans, not IP or MAC address.

• Like 1

Mac address (not apple product)  and hardware ban,  both of those have a unique serial number attached to them,  LL has the ability to place bans on both.  IP banning in this day and age is never going to work, I can change mine with restarting my modem or restarting my router (bridged mode on the modem). 

On 10/13/2019 at 4:52 PM, TheDarkhand said:

That's just 30 days, the OP will have to try harder. I can think of one really good way to get the Lab to reconsider their decision not to permaban him, but I'm afraid if I post it they'll permaban me.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:18 AM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Blocking an ip address in todays times is not a wise solution,  ip addresses are recycled and if some one that uses SL get's that ip that you have used or had, they will be blocked from using the service, as mentioned block it using the windows hosts file.

That is true for home and other transient users of IP addresses. But, for a server system like SL the IP addresses are static.

I have clients that need mobile employees to be able to VPN to the home office. The home office has static IP addresses.

You'll see SL region IP's change because the regions are moved to different hardware each restart. And we will see IP's change as the SL system is moved into the cloud.  Also the servers (like my.secondlife.com) within the SL system are on subnets of the DMZ servers. With a little research you can find the block of addresses assigned to secondlife.com. That doesn't change.

Technically, the hosts file does not block an IP address. It tells the system to use 127.0.0.1 for the domain's address, which is the local computer's address, rather than the real IP address thus effectively preventing a connection.

Most websites have semi-static addresses. Co-hosting sites requires some fancy footwork with IP addresses. Blocking one of those IP addresses may block several websites.

It is also common to block whole countries. I have a NK addresses block from my blog as well as a number of African countries to keep hackers from pounding my login page and sucking out all my content, which can overload the web server.

Blocking IP addresses is neither good or bad. One just has to know why and when to block.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

If the machine itself was a laptop....  MAC ban is still on the table. 

You have a point. Another one would be account bans. Like how LL can suspend/ban people from the forum but not SL itself and vice versa. They don't do that by IP or MAC. That is done on a per account basis and if you have more than one, LL will know. If you do something that really ticks LL off they can pick and choose what accounts to ban. Usually it's either the one you (general) messed up on or all. Every now and then LL misses getting all of the accounts but usually the person gives themselves away and "poof", gone again. magic.gif.5a2fd24309d0d8f540b4ff00370cb323.gif

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.