Sims that ban new people

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Lexia Moonstone said:

What do you think of sims that ban noobs? is there a good reason to do so, and if so, how old should avatars be before being let in?  

i think it's a very good thing to do, in fact for me nearly whole SL should be locked in the first week, till proven they can dress, move and rezz things.... and first 3 months no freenies or change to mesh

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i think it's a very good thing to do, in fact for me nearly whole SL should be locked in the first week, till proven they can dress, move and rezz things.... and first 3 months no freenies or change to mesh

As people seem to be less and less patient, your idea would make even more newbies vanish after a few days.
A lot of the  ones i´ve met so far, have been in a absolute hurry to turn themselfes into mesh and to get a home. After 3 weeks or so, SL has already worn off for them and i never saw them online again.
Now imagine, they would have to stick to a system avatar for 3 months, while they are surrounded by maitreya, lelutka, aeros and spanking addons... Cant imagine that woud work... :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

As people seem to be less and less patient, your idea would make even more newbies vanish after a few days.
A lot of the  ones i´ve met so far, have been in a absolute hurry to turn themselfes into mesh and to get a home. After 3 weeks or so, SL has already worn off for them and i never saw them online again.

releasing them instantly doesn't work either.
The lock down is of course sounding a lot stricter than practicly needed, but as in the real old days, we had to pass some tests before being able to go to the "real" world. Too many run into the world without any clue now.. in my opinion a little more knowledge would give more possibilities to keep them on board.

I can understand clubs doing it to deter banned griefers coming back with a new alt, or the serious RP places. Otherwise I think it's a bad idea, how are we going to encourage noobs to stick around long enough to not be noobs anymore if we stop them from enjoying most of what SL has to offer?

• Like 1

Although it took me a long time to understand mesh, I meshed my alts quickly, and its only when you explore as a newbie that you run into the age limit thing.

Yeah its annoying, but 30 days is nothing really. I was hardly moving from the spot in my first 30 days......

Rather than prevent meshing for newbies, I would prefer to see a mesh consultant who would help newbies find the right mesh bodies and heads.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Too many run into the world without any clue now.. in my opinion a little more knowledge would give more possibilities to keep them on board.

That describes me 5 years ago. A few people taking time to help me on my first day is one of the reasons I stuck it out and now I try to pay it forward.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Rather than prevent meshing for newbies, I would prefer to see a mesh consultant who would help newbies find the right mesh bodies and heads.

there is a lot of information, and nearly all meshbody shops have good support, but it's nearly impossible to get people asking there. Have a look at the avatar section here in the forum, there is a goldmine of infomation, but so spreaded around it's unusable or not too find.
Several usefull webpages are abandoned or not maintained, such loss of data is simply bad.

And not to forget some newbies, rarer now than in the past .. or older newbies, nearly demand no chew just swallow solutions, no need to know how, but want it now, links to solutions not appreciated, we must have landmarks or direct shop links.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

What do you think of sims that ban noobs?

Well, sometimes, I think: good. But sometimes, I think, that's very unwelcoming. I guess it depends on the kind of sim.

is there a good reason to do so

Maybe I'm projecting, but noobs tend to 'test the boundaries', like children. This can be quite annoying in role play sims that run smoothly if the people in it possess a minimal amount of SL experience. It's never fun to have to go out of character the whole time to explain trivial things to a constant influx of noobs, most of which decide not to stay anyway.

2 hours ago, Lexia Moonstone said:

how old should avatars be before being let in?

Two days old, if they're very smart and put a lot of work into learning things in SL. But you'd probably have to be super human for that. Maybe 3 or 4 months old?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Maybe I'm projecting, but noobs tend to 'test the boundaries', like children. This can be quite annoying in role play sims that run smoothly if the people in it possess a minimal amount of SL experience. It's never fun to have to go out of character the whole time to explain trivial things to a constant influx of noobs, most of which decide not to stay anyway.

I quite agree, and many of them also don't take kindly to having mini-lectures. I think a landing area with some story-boards to explain that it is a roleplay sim, a certain level of expertise is required, and then an application form method so that a determined newbie can have a chat in IM with a parcel admin before getting use of the TP/Access doorway is the best method.

I also think that the lengthy delays in getting SL-profiles to appear in the official viewer has resulted in a lot of people no longer reading up on a person before making an approach, and because of the delay, explaining to new persons that it's wise to read up first tends to fail. Switching back to classic profiles can't come quickly enough as far as I'm concerned.

We need to encourage new players, but not to the extent of our own enjoyment here being spoiled.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Lexia Moonstone said:

What do you think of sims that ban noobs? is there a good reason to do so, and if so, how old should avatars be before being let in?  

It's up to the sim owner.  They mostly do so because of griefers and disgruntled banned people creating account after account to get in. Some people can be very determined nuisances.

A couple weeks would probably deter most of them but you'd have to see what the patterns are on your sim.

• Like 3

Up to the sim owner really and their vision on how they want to run and protect their place.

When I had my adult sim, I had a 2 week age check. When I just started I did not have this limit, but a lot of people that got banned for breaking our rules or general misbehaving then returned with new created alts. Found out that two weeks was long enough to demotivate them, by that time they lost interest and not return.

I know this might have blocked genuine visitors, but to be honest, most people really that new to SL do not have the money yet either that was required for tipping our workers :)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Lexia Moonstone said:

The main reason is it keeps out the griefers that create alt after alt after alt after alt just to harass people. Those alts (not all alts!) are always new accounts, which is why I have FS alert me whenever an avatar less than 7 days old comes within radar range. 

• Like 2

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

You enforce mandatory tipping? :o

I no longer run the sim, but yes, we required mandatory tipping.

It was AFK sex, so you know exactly the service you will get (non responsive doll sex with the doll of your choice) and if you wanted to use that service, a tip was mandatory. Sim rent does not pay itself :)

If people do not like to tip, they could go to places of generally lower quality models and sexfurniture, that required no mandatory tips.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

f people do not like to tip, they could go to places of generally lower quality models and sexfurniture, that required no mandatory tips.

And presumably non-AFK models who could pass derisive comments on the client's technique and tackle?

"Tip me good or I'll post pictures of your puny p-p-p-person"

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

I no longer run the sim, but yes, we required mandatory tipping.

It was AFK sex, so you know exactly the service you will get (non responsive doll sex with the doll of your choice) and if you wanted to use that service, a tip was mandatory. Sim rent does not pay itself :)

If people do not like to tip, they could go to places of generally lower quality models and sexfurniture, that required no mandatory tips.

Well... other than I don't do pixel sex, that's another reason not to go to places like that.  I do understand the reasoning behind it and that it is necessary for that type of venue. I just won't ever be a customer at any place that has mandatory tipping or charges you just to enter the parcel when it's a freaking store not a bar!

Other than that I just don't like being nickle and dimed to death. :D

5 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

"Tip me good or I'll post pictures of your puny p-p-p-person"

So you mean there are actual people with puny p's in SL?? I thought they where just a myth and everyone had a P the size of a 3rd leg...

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Lexia Moonstone said:

I think a person who owns a sim gets to make whatever choices they want to promote the environment they are trying to create.  On a personal level, I prefer dealing with avatars at least 6 or 8 years old.  I just find a very different flavor in the older age brackets.  This is my choice and there's no "fault" that attaches to it.  If I was making a sim and I wanted to promote that feel then I'd limit age accordingly in that sim.  Again, a perfectly reasonable action and totally within my rights.

I have no particular feeling about sims that don't allow noobs.  I'm more interested in what it does allow and what sort of feel that makes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Damian Mills said:

I think a person who owns a sim gets to make whatever choices they want to promote the environment they are trying to create.  On a personal level, I prefer dealing with avatars at least 6 or 8 years old.  I just find a very different flavor in the older age brackets.  This is my choice and there's no "fault" that attaches to it.  If I was making a sim and I wanted to promote that feel then I'd limit age accordingly in that sim.  Again, a perfectly reasonable action and totally within my rights.

I have no particular feeling about sims that don't allow noobs.  I'm more interested in what it does allow and what sort of feel that makes.

6 to 8 years old? They are some of the biggest arses on grid

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.