The Linden Homes Photo Thread

Patch Linden

6 hours ago, Elyeah said:

The log homes have a similar vibe to the campers. I love the peacefulness. 

Stricklands Glen1.jpg

Stricklands Glen2.jpg

Stricklands Glen6.jpg

Stricklands Glen7.jpg

You have a lovely home. 🥰

I noticed how beautiful the water looks. That can not be the default water? I am trying all sort of settings in Firestorm, but have not seen this pretty setting. It works really well with all your windlight settings too.

Can you share where you found the lovely water setting?

• Like 7

On 4/8/2020 at 8:35 PM, Marianne Little said:

You have a lovely home. 🥰

I noticed how beautiful the water looks. That can not be the default water? I am trying all sort of settings in Firestorm, but have not seen this pretty setting. It works really well with all your windlight settings too.

Can you share where you found the lovely water setting?

I never change from the default water because I find the others mostly look worse (not sure if it is my graphics on my laptop or not but I find it difficult to get the water to look good in photos). The only setting I ever change is the WL sky and though I cannot remember exactly which I had it set at for these photos , I nearly always use 'Adored realistic ambiant',  Gwen's Light or one of the Nacron ones esp Nacron's Afternoon or Day Mood (Firestorm). I share your frustration in finding water which looks good in photos. I took these when using my husband's PC and I am using a laptop now otherwise I would have scrolled through to find which setting looks like the one I used.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Elyeah said:

I never change from the default water because I find the others mostly look worse (not sure if it is my graphics on my laptop or not but I find it difficult to get the water to look good in photos). The only setting I ever change is the WL sky and though I cannot remember exactly which I had it set at for these photos , I nearly always use 'Adored realistic ambiant',  Gwen's Light or one of the Nacron ones esp Nacron's Afternoon or Day Mood (Firestorm). I share your frustration in finding water which looks good in photos. I took these when using my husband's PC and I am using a laptop now otherwise I would have scrolled through to find which setting looks like the one I used.

The second photo, in particular, was what I liked best. Maybe it is the green bottom texture. But I have not seen that mix of green and blue water in SL, and I have seen lots of ponds in Bellisseria. It is like a glacial lake, where the sediments are so light that they don't sink to the bottom, but float and reflect back blue and green color.

So I was sure it was some other than default water. I shall find those windlights. I am a bit frustrated, because Firestorm has 999 different windlights and most of them looks like utter crap. I must have missed those you mention.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

The second photo, in particular, was what I liked best. Maybe it is the green bottom texture. But I have not seen that mix of green and blue water in SL, and I have seen lots of ponds in Bellisseria. It is like a glacial lake, where the sediments are so light that they don't sink to the bottom, but float and reflect back blue and green color.

So I was sure it was some other than default water. I shall find those windlights. I am a bit frustrated, because Firestorm has 999 different windlights and most of them looks like utter crap. I must have missed those you mention.

Next time I get on the husband's PC  I will try and recreate that one and see which it was. Have to agree that most are crap. There is one, not sure which but it just turns my screen white and I cannot even see anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People rarely ask how mermaids get from the open ocean to inland lakes. That's a good thing, because we would have to lie about it. Except for those few places where I have shown you how to leap up waterfalls, the safest answer is that we use magic. Mermaids can just do stuff, so don't ask.

Anyway .... I heard about a great long lake in the northern part of East Bellisseria the other day, so I decided to go exploring. There are actually quite a few lakes in that part of the world. Most of them are not connected to each other, which makes it hard for people without special mermaid talents to travel directly from one to another, but that's no excuse for avoiding the lakes. They are great places for swimming and for small pleasure boats, and water always perks up the scenery. (I'd say that even if I weren't a dedicated water-type person.)

578874434_HardlyThere4-11-2020HardlyThere_START.jpg.2c25ef9a247f9a794c0461117a5a53c8.jpg

I began my day trip at the west end of the lake, in the Hardly There region, under a clump of water lilies ( a personal favorite ). The water there is clear and shallow -- in fact, that's true almost everywhere in this lake -- and the bottom is lovely and green. Despite that, this lake has no fish. I view that as a great disappointment. I always thought fish had pioneer spirit and would travel anywhere.

1636629185_HardlyThere4-11-2020HardlyThere2.jpg.4fc4789db507ce3f7e9e3eb02d9fb429.jpg

I am pleased that there are plenty of water lilies here - all pink or yellow, none of the rarer white ones as far as I could see. There is also a great variety of other water plants --- reeds and grasses -- and there are even more fascinating plants along the banks.  Some of those seem to have been planted by new residents, but there are loads of wild plants here too, including some gigantic trees.

301531847_HardlyThere4-11-2020HardlyThere3.jpg.be1570990d6f64f4d892641658c95513.jpg

The lake shore is much steeper than I expected. There's not much incentive for mermaids to leave the water, but I do like to explore beaches and little inlets where land-dwellers like to play. Here, the land rises rather quickly away from the lake, making for stunning spots for building houses but leaving less waterfront.

2067549145_HardlyThere4-11-2020HardlyThere4.jpg.349c06a7924237ae7314fd4e86fad4fb.jpg

Just look at how beautiful some of the flowers in this area are!  This is one great advantage that land-dwellers have over those of us who live in the ocean. With the striking exception of the mystical flowers in our grotto at Picard's Wharf, few plants in the Bellisserian ocean have flowers at all. Land-dwellers have flowers of all colors to admire. (And to smell. Seaweed is lovely, of course, but there's something excitingly different about the way flowers on land smell.)

1006057220_HardlyThere4-11-2020Handover1.jpg.20268de22a75be6e3dd0d8aaf4aa03af.jpg

The lake is much narrower in Handover, to the east of Hardly There. It's narrow enough at this spot, in fact, for them to have built a sturdy bridge across it  This one looks strong enough to handle heavy traffic, although I didn't see any while I was there.

1621600080_HardlyThere4-11-2020Handover2.jpg.436530148edfd1ff3b24a4e27c2f86d4.jpg

Here's another striking plant, a fern, unlike anything we have in the ocean. It is apparently unique to forested areas like this, because I have don't remember seeing it elsewhere in Bellisseria.  

841795750_HardlyThere4-11-2020AnseauxPapillions1.jpg.7fb2e17c620c344ca5d522f35783e7a8.jpg

Further to the east, in Anse aux Papillions, the lake is much deeper. This is where I might have expected fish to hang out, but I still didn't see any.

When water is at least this deep, it's fun to get up some speed and do some acrobatic moves. You don't have to worry about smashing into the bottom or coming up against a rock, and you can do a full double loop without leaping out of the water.  I remember having some hilarious games of tag  with my sister and her friends in a lake like this one, many years ago.

1648119638_HardlyThere4-11-2020AnseauxPapillions2.jpg.c89cd778fc95ca1cc0ace073a3cb8915.jpg 

By the way, the name "Anse aux Papillions" means Butterfly Cove.  I took this picture at the actual cove, where there's a nice little picnic spot and a bed of pink-orange flowers that are just swarming with butterflies.  That's something else we don't have in the ocean.

1505163887_HardlyThere4-11-2020ArborGlen1.jpg.9297dcb20046faf74c65d43842143953.jpg

But here's something we do have .. ducks. I ran into this little family in Arbor Glen, not far from the picnic spot. They were talkative, as ducks tend to be, but they were only interested in food and ducky matters so I didn't stay long. Ducks are not the brightest creatures in the pond.

843349430_HardlyThere4-11-2020ArborGlenEND.png.22410d76a97c342d684e07d1973e932c.png

And suddenly, there I was at the east end of the lake, still in Arbor Glen but having run out of water. I leapt up on a flat rock to take in the view, and to get a better look at the ferns and flowers.  I was not alone.  I could hear otters somewhere nearby, chattering away, and those ducks were just barely out of sight.  Evening was coming on, too, and there were a few bright, glowing insects hovering around - fireflies.  I managed to get one in this photo, but it was too far away to show as anything more than a glowing spot.

So, there's a brief mermaid's tour of one of East Bellisseria's lakes. This one has another couple of branches that I ought to explore too, one not far from where I started in Hardly There and another near this place where I stopped. I'll be back.

• Like 24

1 minute ago, Elena Core said:

What a magical view. I love the atmosphere you create in your homes 

Thank you so much, @Elena Core  these log homes have been the easiest for me to decorate since *Rustic North Woods* is my jam ^^  and I've gotten so many good ideas from others posting loveliness in this thread!

• Like 2

On 4/7/2020 at 5:29 PM, Siell Karu said:

Some photos of my place! I had this very houseboat since August 21st, it was my first place too that i tried for, got it and stayed, until a few days ago. The place i made was always open to the public, i just never advertised(Except for one time!), as it was more of a "If you find it, enjoy it, but i'm going to keep it secret!" hence why i'm only now sharing it. On to newer things though 😄

Snapshot_855jpg.jpg

Snapshot_857jpg.jpg

Snapshot_859jpg.jpg

Snapshot_863jpg.jpg

An astoundingly gorgeous creation! ❤️ From the whole 'Bonjour' area to upstairs, one huge interior decoration marvel! 👍

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 9

The GV mezzanine is like this, the house has my aunt's favorite theme: Biodiversity.
Build another roof over the big room to put the bathroom, and the bedroom, the office and a place to watch TV next to the opposite windows, from where you can see the river.
LOG-V1_001.thumb.jpg.96c67af89e864f899480e05961634597.jpg

LOG-V1_005-copy.thumb.jpg.797f7eb2fc1972e03b753718b91d2f8f.jpg

Edited by Nando Yip
  • Like 8