The Linden Homes Photo Thread

Patch Linden

8 minutes ago, deplove said:

dear Kiramanell thanks for your advice but I tried them all, I have a 4GB geo-force card, I followed your advice but nothing changes. What bothers me is that these textures I see well in other houses but not mine. I sent a ticket to the support aspect to see what they tell me. Thank you again

Che cosa?! LOL. I'm pretty sure I didn't say all those things in Italian. :) But seriously, too bad those tips didn't work.

As for your 4G cards, one of the great mysteries life still holds for me, is why both LL and FS viewer simply don't grab as much texture memory as they can get (11G, in my case of a GTX 1080 Ti; yes, I know, already obsolete, ack!). At least the Firestorm viewer gives you a max of 2G. In fact, a year ago or so, I was actually close to leaving SL, when the limit was still 1G, as I kept running out of texture memory on my sim. And with the advent of materials, texture-needs potentially tripled, so me needing more wasn't all that odd, IMHO.

As a last resort, you can try lowering your bandwidth a bit (advice a certain viewer's support team tends to give, which always feels a bit disingenuous to me, as I don't pay to 'play fair' and leave more bandwith for others), but it it helps, it helps, right? 

4 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Che cosa?! LOL. I'm pretty sure I didn't say all those things in Italian. :) But seriously, too bad those tips didn't work.

As for your 4G cards, one of the great mysteries life still holds for me, is why both LL and FS viewer simply don't grab as much texture memory as they can get (11G, in my case of a GTX 1080 Ti; yes, I know, already obsolete, ack!). At least the Firestorm viewer gives you a max of 2G. In fact, a year ago or so, I was actually close to leaving SL, when the limit was still 1G, as I kept running out of texture memory on my sim. And with the advent of materials, texture-needs potentially tripled, so me needing more wasn't all that odd, IMHO.

As a last resort, you can try lowering your bandwidth a bit (advice a certain viewer's support team tends to give, which always feels a bit disingenuous to me, as I don't pay to 'play fair' and leave more bandwith for others), but it it helps, it helps, right? 

my dear Kiramanell support LL he suggested that I do this

in many cases, your items will load properly if you clear Second Life's cache (yes, again please even if you have already done this ) using the following steps:

1. Go to Me > Preferences on the menu bar.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Click the Clear Cache button.
4. Exit Second Life.
5. Log back into Second Life to a quiet region such as Lime. 

:DAND NOW I SEE EVERYTHING CLEAR AND CLEAR, but thank you anyway for doing your best for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, deplove said:

in many cases, your items will load properly if you clear Second Life's cache (yes, again please even if you have already done this ) using the following steps:

4. Exit Second Life.

:DAND NOW I SEE EVERYTHING CLEAR AND CLEAR, but thank you anyway for doing your best for me.

Clearing cache (at least in Firestorm) is not something that usually needs to be done any more (almost never, really; I mean, when do textures really corrupt?!). But if it solved your issue, all the better for you! :)

P.S. The cynic in me can't help but wonder whether maybe the problem will re-occur when the cache fills up again; but let's stay positive. ;) If it does happen again, I'd say give the Firestorm viewer a whirl: best one out there!

3 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Clearing cache (at least in Firestorm) is not something that usually needs to be done any more (almost never, really; I mean, when do textures really corrupt?!). But if it solved your issue, all the better for you! :)

P.S. The cynic in me can't help but wonder whether maybe the problem will re-occur when the cache fills up again; but let's stay positive. ;) If it does happen again, I'd say give the Firestorm viewer a whirl: best one out there!

Do you believe that having many items in inventory can influence? yes some textures even of my objects made by me were corrupted, fortunately things like carpets or floors and not furniture or other objects that I create. Now with the same I did a test how to put the mosaic floor back in the garden and now it looks good. Good night for me now it's late, hello from Italy

1 minute ago, deplove said:

Do you believe that having many items in inventory can influence? yes some textures even of my objects made by me were corrupted, fortunately things like carpets or floors and not furniture or other objects that I create. Now with the same I did a test how to put the mosaic floor back in the garden and now it looks good. Good night for me now it's late, hello from Italy

No. The amount of items in your inventory makes no difference whatsoever! Only what's rezzed 'on the field', so to speak; and even then only what's within draw distance of your viewer's camera.

As to what would happen if you rez an object with an acual corrupted texture, frankly, I don't know. My guess is: nothing (as the texture simply won't show properly). But with LL viewer, you never know. 🤪 You can do a small test yourself, of course. First make sure no textures in your home are blurred; then rez an object with a 'corrupted' texture on it, and see if the problem starts to re-occur. Even if it does, as long as you keep the object in inventory, it will never affect anythng.

Also, before I forget, in Firestorm you can pess Ctrl-Shift-3 (iirc), and it will show you how much of your assigned texture-memory is in use. Very useful function, IMHO, as it will almost immediately tell you whether you have a problem with running out of texture-memory.

Anyway, goodnight for now! 😴

34 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

you can pess Ctrl-Shift-3 (iirc), and it will show you how much of your assigned texture-memory is in use. Very useful function, IMHO, as it will almost immediately tell you whether you have a problem with running out of texture-memory.

Good to know. I tried that and got varying result. My Linden Home area was definitely not happy ^^ but my SHOP seems to be very good. I am assuming that a tiny window with green bars is a GOOD thing though --- really have no clue.  So is this GOOD?

image.thumb.png.a10ce15ec5b5c9a66ce7c2f07f34511b.png

It also took very little time to figure this out while the LH area (looking toward other houses, not the ocean) never calmed down (well I didn't wait forever. 

This one I am assuming is not as good (yellow instead of green). Is there someplace that explains all this?  

Thanks!!!

image.thumb.png.8f9e9f4ea15b3312d1703db0982c81a1.png

14 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Good to know. I tried that and got varying result. My Linden Home area was definitely not happy ^^ but my SHOP seems to be very good. I am assuming that a tiny window with green bars is a GOOD thing though --- really have no clue.  So is this GOOD?

image.thumb.png.a10ce15ec5b5c9a66ce7c2f07f34511b.png

It also took very little time to figure this out while the LH area (looking toward other houses, not the ocean) never calmed down (well I didn't wait forever. 

This one I am assuming is not as good (yellow instead of green). Is there someplace that explains all this?  

Thanks!!!

image.thumb.png.8f9e9f4ea15b3312d1703db0982c81a1.png

I'm no Firestorm expert, but I believe the number after the / in 'Bound: ' denotes your texture memory setting -- currently only at 512MB for you, it would appear. I would definitely increase that (if your card has more than 512MB, of course; which it very likely will have, though). When 'Bias' starts to become positive, things will have started blurring. So, fortunately not the case for you yet. :)

I quicly went inworld, to look what my own stats look like (see below). As you can tell, I have 2048MB (2G) set as texture memory. Only 459MB bound, I see; but that's because this is my 'City of Glass' skybox, with currently nothing else present (at least not within dd). But on a sim like Bellessaria, things can get up crazy high, crazy fast. :) 

mine.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I have a feeling that the next batch will go fast also, as there is so much more attention being paid to them now.  

Yep, and from my rough count that new batch looks to be somewhere between 625-675 houseboats.  I think Chic actually counted how many are currently there -- 600 something - so pretty close to the same number in both batches.  If my memory serves, from my own bouncing around picking a houseboat late evening the day they were released, for the most part they were pretty much all taken within 12 hours of release.  There were the occasional abandons after that and quite a few after the Security change, but I'd still guess they will all be snapped up within 1/2 day, give or take a bit.

ETA:  I found the other post - Chic counted 695 houseboats out currently, so the new batch is probably pretty close to 700 houseboats also.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Also, before I forget, in Firestorm you can pess Ctrl-Shift-3 (iirc), and it will show you how much of your assigned texture-memory is in use. Very useful function, IMHO, as it will almost immediately tell you whether you have a problem with running out of texture-memory.

Do NOT make a habit of leaving this open, it has a non trivial impact on the texture decode pipeline. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Um ... SSPE164 ? Are you ok?

eBlwspL.png0UPf3dU.png

I actually ended up there as well. Something screwy is going on. I tried to go on multiple drives from my home, got to a certain point, ended up sitting in the air, and when I stood up... SSPE164. Each time from the same spot. Went on drives in other areas just fine, though. 

Edited by stlshayne
  • Like 1

Alright, I'm convinced, I'll show mine off a bit.

I had to black out some of my wall hanging images and doctor up my desktop, though. Should be fine, nothing naughty's showing.

Now if I could only get over my social anxiety and say hello to my neighbors...

Snapshot_001.jpg

Snapshot_002.jpg

Snapshot_003.jpg

Snapshot_004.jpg

Snapshot_005.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Leti Melody said:

That Star Trek sign made me 🤣

In case the subtext is too small, it reads:

"There are reasons why you shouldn't look at some things online while at the office."

But yeah, that's my attempt at the whole warning for the 'behind closed doors' rule.

Edited by Marth Coberts
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, kiramanell said:

4. Exit Second Life.

• Like 1

I've been missing the sunrise in Bellisseria but managed to capture it this morning from the porthole of my houseboat. It's lovely ....

sunrise_party_boat.thumb.png.d72b92fb09968ef447a644f8f1bf78f7.png

but I never saw the sun. Do we not have a sun anymore with our new fandangled EEP sky?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I've been missing the sunrise in Bellisseria but managed to capture it this morning from the porthole of my houseboat. It's lovely ....

but I never saw the sun. Do we not have a sun anymore with our new fandangled EEP sky?

FS per-parcel windlights should still work, right?!