Too many static avatar bot's in SL

Gilitwo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When you are looking around on the SL maps, you find tooooo many groups with 9 avatars, all static and bot's, i think 1/4 of all avatars are Linden Bot's.

But why ? Linden is showing a wrong image from this world. The bot's are death, no communication with it. Is this the beginning of the end.

I have tested sansar, but OMG beware, SL is 100x better.

What you mean about this situation ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gilitwo said:

i think 1/4 of all avatars are Linden Bot's.

based on?

8 minutes ago, Gilitwo said:

it. Is this the beginning of the end.

ohh finally again... the sky is falling... the sky is falling... i really missed this for a while

9 minutes ago, Gilitwo said:

great... finally agreement with most of us... SL IS better

• Haha 3

Just now, Ethan Paslong said:

ohh finally again... the sky is falling... the sky is falling... i really missed this for a while

Why does the sky always have to fall in on a Sunday when I am chilling  (only 8 avis here so we can't be bots). 

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, Gilitwo said:

When you are looking around on the SL maps, you find tooooo many groups with 9 avatars, all static and bot's, i think 1/4 of all avatars are Linden Bot's.

But why ? Linden is showing a wrong image from this world. The bot's are death, no communication with it. Is this the beginning of the end.

What you mean about this situation ?

Don't worry soon many of the "bots" will be replaced with interactive animesh avatars. You'll be able to talk with them and even be able to do adult things with them.

Will it make SL seem less barren and empty?

No.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Don't worry soon many of the "bots" will be replaced with interactive animesh avatars. You'll be able to talk with them and even be able to do adult things with them.

Will it make SL seem less barren and empty?

No.

Yes, yes. I use interactive Animesh at my place. But the BIG difference is they don't create map-dots, do anything for traffic or "concurrent population count" (as shown in the Web Search) and don't cause anywhere near the same lag that avatars bots do. So even if it doesn't make the grid feel less baren, I'll take 100 Animesh "bots" over ten avatar "bots" any time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

Chris pine

I'll take a few Chris Pine bots, thank you. 

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Don't worry soon many of the "bots" will be replaced with interactive animesh avatars.

Not likely! Look at most of those 'traffic bots" they can't be bothered to even change one little thing on a noobie avatar. They aren't going to be spending money on animesh. 

1 hour ago, Gilitwo said:

i think 1/4 of all avatars are Linden Bot's

Where in the world do you get the idea that any bots are run by Lindens? Think again!

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:
4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Yes, yes. I use interactive Animesh at my place. But the BIG difference is they don't create map-dots, do anything for traffic or "concurrent population count" (as shown in the Web Search) and don't cause anywhere near the same lag that avatars bots do. So even if it doesn't make the grid feel less baren, I'll take 100 Animesh "bots" over ten avatar "bots" any time.

Since they won't create dots on the map, and I'm pretty sure that is what a lot of those accounts are specifically created for, they won't change them over to Animesh objects even if said Animesh objects were free.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Actually, a few bots really ARE run by the Lindens.  There are the Performance Tester bots, for example.

Now that you mention it, that makes total sense. But in no ones imagination would that equal 1/4 of all the bots. 

Thanks for reminding me though. I appreciate it. :)

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Since they won't create dots on the map, and I'm pretty sure that is what a lot of those accounts are specifically created for, they won't change them over to Animesh objects even if said Animesh objects were free.

Animesh also takes up LI, bots don't - it will always remain a tradeoff between renting servertime for a bot or renting land capacity...

Edited by Fionalein

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Agreed! Is why I don't rely on map-dots to find crowds. And when I am looking for crowds (based on concurrent counts in web search) if I land in a region and my minimap says they're all above me I'll take a quick look. If I can't find them I move on to the next in line along my sim-hopping adventure.

57 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Animesh also takes up LI, bots don't - it will always remain a tradeoff between renting servertime for a bot or renting land capacity...

Oh yes, they do. And it's *expensive*. The thing I hate about it is that I don't have a clue how that LI price is derived. I have a 3LI mesh - switch on Animesh and it jumps to 25. Okay, that's fair. Then another 3LI mesh jumps to 73LI (!) WTF? LOL 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Oh yes, they do. And it's *expensive*. The thing I hate about it is that I don't have a clue how that LI price is derived. I have a 3LI mesh - switch on Animesh and it jumps to 25. Okay, that's fair. Then another 3LI mesh jumps to 73LI (!) WTF? LOL 

It is completely arbitrary... I have this orca avatar, when I turn the live size orca  animesh it will be 24 the micro orca (same mesh different size) will be over 120...

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

It is completely arbitrary... I have this orca avatar, when I turn the live size orca  animesh it will be 24 the micro orca (same mesh different size) will be over 120...

Animesh land impact is not arbitrary, but is based on charged triangles. The formula is 15 + (1.5 * charged Ktris). Charged triangles are High LOD tris plus any tri's over the 1:2, 1:4, 1:8 ratio for Med, Low and Lowest LOD's. It is explained at the bottom of this page. Your life sized orca probably has a LOD triangle schema like 10000,5000,2500,1250 or less, but your micro orca probably has LOD triangle schema like 10000,10000,10000,1 or 10000,10000,10000,10000 which will have an additional 125% or 212.5% land impact than if the creator stayed under the "optimized" ratio.

Even more fun is to come when Project ArcTan is implemented and texture memory will start adding to land impact.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.  There have always been bots.  They aren't hurting you.  If you encounter somebody who does not talk to you that doesn't mean they are a bot.  They might just be afk. They might be there and be busy scripting or something. They might be antisocial. Or they might not like the look of you. Just go somewhere else.  There are real people in SL.  Some of them might not talk to you, but some will.  It doesn't mean the sky is falling.  It doesn't mean the end of SL as we know it.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Even more fun is to come when Project ArcTan is implemented and texture memory will start adding to land impact.

Whaaaaat!?

I don't mind if LL imposes a land impact for some new functionality, like Animesh.  If they are throwing in a cloth simulation and collision system, I'll pay for that (probably not in LI, since most cloth would be worn).  But I'd be willing to pay some sort of additional cost.  But if they're going to recalculate my existing objects' LI based on their textures, Ebbe and I are gonna have Words.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Whaaaaat!?

I don't mind if LL imposes a land impact for some new functionality, like Animesh.  If they are throwing in a cloth simulation and collision system, I'll pay for that (probably not in LI, since most cloth would be worn).  But I'd be willing to pay some sort of additional cost.  But if they're going to recalculate my existing objects' LI based on their textures, Ebbe and I are gonna have Words.

Yeah it will cause trouble xD they promised to find solutions for Linden owned land ... this will be double fun for private land rentals :ph34r:

Edited by Fionalein

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Whaaaaat!?

It's been brought up in the Server and Content Creator meetings a few times. They admit it will have wide-spread land impact increases on already rezzed content. Oz Linden has stated he does not want to support a dual system, the existing one for already rezzed content and the new one for anything that will be rezzed after it is implemented. The possibility of having another wave of available prims has been suggested, but no solutions have been finalized nor has work on the project begun, but they continue to elude that it is coming.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Whaaaaat!?

I know it sounds painful, and believe me I am a prim hog for sure, so it will hurt me as well. But with texture resolution so out of control and causing major lag issues, I think it's a good thing. Maybe with it showing up in the LI creators will be more careful to not use 1024x1024 textures where a 256x256 is more appropriate.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.