new starter avis,yay!

Windywinters

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

think this is the page that popped up a while ago but disappeared again? ... looks nice! ..
(the page!)

Didn't check the avatars yet, but what i see is not really my thing, but guess it's just meant as starters.
Not sure it's worth the work of making new starters every time, go back to ruth, 99.9 of the new stayers will ditch the starter within a day. ( not only because it are vey basic avatars, not suitable for a catwalk, but also for the total lack of fitting clothes, skins and all other things to make it more attractive)

• Like 1

They look like system avatars. Then they can use any mesh clothes for system avatars. Also change skin and other parts. Looks like ok skins. Unless they have painted on underwear, hehe.

(Of course all I said over here is wrong, if they are no mod mesh avatars, like the previous disasters.)

I really like the bottom avatar. Nice jeans.

This post got me thinking to look in the viewer.  Our avatars there under "Choose Avatar" don't match what was posted here, but I found a really lovely skin for a RL friend of mine.  Also a good place to look for SHOES which are often a problem for those without mesh bodies.   

image.thumb.png.2a86a437a32a81151bf494db5b803252.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

They look like system avatars. Then they can use any mesh clothes for system avatars. Also change skin and other parts.

If the are the same avs that have recently appeared in the library they are system, alphas are included for all the outfits in each av's folder 

1 minute ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

They are system avatars.

I know, but I wasn't sure if those avatars are out yet, as someone said that page had vanished previously. Just wanted to express, that I think it would be a good thing, if LL now sticks for all upcoming starter avatars to system avatars (unless they are making animal avatars or something like that).

It is typical Linden work... let's take Gretchen... her AO is called "gretchen formal" not animation overrider and not AO,... and her dress seems to abuse bento bones to move... good luck explaining to a newbie why nothing works with the old ladie if you do not spot that. 

7 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

I know, but I wasn't sure if those avatars are out yet, as someone said that page had vanished previously. Just wanted to express, that I think it would be a good thing, if LL now sticks for all upcoming starter avatars to system avatars (unless they are making animal avatars or something like that).

All of the starter avatars have been system avatars for years now. They finally made the mesh ones disappear from the Choose an Avatar screen some time in the last year or so. There are still some of the mesh ones in the vampires/monsters category, but nobody is going to try to find clothes for those.

The page shown is the new default page at secondlife.com for signups.  All new avatars are also available (in Firestorm, at least), via the 'Choose an Avatar' option.  Additionally, they can all be found in the Library, under Clothing / Initial Outfits: 
   Males: Ashton (dude carrying a dog), Leonard (old dude), Monty (dude with guitar), Greg (dude from the 70s)
   Females:  Bitsy (lady with the hat), Gretchen (lady in the formal), Trixie (rocker chic), Monique (given the bell bottoms and platform shoes, I think she's from the 70s also). 

Nice to have a new set of things in the Library to dig through - I want that hat/hair combo. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

As usual, none of it is modifiable. 

The logic might be: by making it no mod people will buy stuff instead. LL does not want to compete with content designers.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Lhe logic might be: by making it no mod people will buy stuff instead. LL does not want to compete with content designers.

Or maybe the "so they don't break it" is a valid reason here (could be both). It's free and it's for newbies who aren't familiar with editing objects or making backups. 

7 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Or maybe the "so they don't break it" is a valid reason here (could be both). It's free and it's for newbies who aren't familiar with editing objects or making backups. 

But it is a free item you can instantly reclaim from the library - choose the avatar again and you have a second copy of each item.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Fionalein said:

It is typical Linden work... let's take Gretchen... her AO is called "gretchen formal" not animation overrider and not AO,... and her dress seems to abuse bento bones to move... good luck explaining to a newbie why nothing works with the old ladie if you do not spot that. 

The previous starter avatars have AO's. The ones with the horses has riding AOs, but that is not all. The others have basic AO's but they are not visible, because they are not attached to the screen, but to Center 2.

But for this batch, LL has "forgotten" to include AO's. Something newbies will not know.

Here is a snap of the AO from Kimberly starter avatar. I was able to pick them out. They are actually not that bad.

snap ao_001.jpg

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

But for this batch, LL has "forgotten" to include AO's. Something newbies will not know.

Which is not that bad... try hunting the invisible prim blocking your other HUDs... (Gretchen's new dress ao is attached to Bottom now) Those HUDs I can spot and detach... incisble prims wether attached to body or screen are bad - as newcomers do not see they have them on.

Edited by Fionalein

10 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The shapes are.

I didn't notice, but that makes sense because it is the one item in all of the other various starter avs that is modifiable.  

5 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Which is not that bad... try hunting the invisible prim blocking your other HUDs... (Gretchen's new dress ao is attached to Bottom now) Those HUDs I can spot and detach... incisble prims wether attached to body or screen are bad - as newcomers do not see they have them on.

They should have still included AOs and just attached them to another location.

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

I tried these on tonight. Loved the dog:

Yep, I nabbed that doggy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.