new starter avis,yay!

Windywinters

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1864 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

42 minutes ago, Skyspinner Soulstar said:

What are the Names for the newest avatars? the folders do not have pics to show what they look like

On 1/29/2019 at 5:14 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

The page shown is the new default page at secondlife.com for signups.  All new avatars are also available (in Firestorm, at least), via the 'Choose an Avatar' option.  Additionally, they can all be found in the Library, under Clothing / Initial Outfits: 
   Males: Ashton (dude carrying a dog), Leonard (old dude), Monty (dude with guitar), Greg (dude from the 70s)
   Females:  Bitsy (lady with the hat), Gretchen (lady in the formal), Trixie (rocker chic), Monique (given the bell bottoms and platform shoes, I think she's from the 70s also). 

Nice to have a new set of things in the Library to dig through - I want that hat/hair combo. 

Is it just me, just the Firestorm viewer or a glitch?

I mean that it was possible to wear just 1 item from a library avatar by dragging it on you, or by clicking it and wear. In the old days, years ago.

Is the only way to access them, to choose the whole avatar? I found out that I had to add them to what I was wearing, this created a folder under clothing, then I could select the folder and "take off". I then had to change shape and eyebrows (the 2 things that I need to shape "me" under all the mesh). Then, and first then, could I wear one item like the brown shoulder jacket I tried to wear.

Isn't this unnecessary complicated?

12 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Which is not that bad... try hunting the invisible prim blocking your other HUDs... (Gretchen's new dress ao is attached to Bottom now) Those HUDs I can spot and detach... incisble prims wether attached to body or screen are bad - as newcomers do not see they have them on.

But why can't they include AO or Animation Override in the name? It is difficult enough to explain for newbies. Now it is a new thing to remember, in some starter avatars there is no AO, in some there is an invisible prim hidden in the avatar that can come off and nothing indicates that it was there and has been detached. But at least it was named Animation Override so they could be told to search for it.

I don't have time to wear all the new ones, but I tried on Bitsy, because of her jacket. And I could find no AO for her. She probably have hold poses in her tablet and bag, nothing more.

Gretchen has an AO but not the others? Even if it's not called AO, but "Gretchen female formal"? So one of the new starter avatar batch has an AO? Not the others?

I am confused. And irked. Thank you LL, for making it even harder to help new people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, animats said:

Do any of the library avis have enough permissions that you can make them into animesh?

none that I know of, ...

Btw. the Lab insists we should abuse this thread for future start avatar wishes,... *

How about some easy simple animesh attachment examples?

* how shall we learn not to abduct threads? Dear @Linden Lab have you ever heard about that "Leading by example" thingie?

Edited by Fionalein

Include an Animation Override in all avatars, since your latest batch with the riding fantasy avatars. Don't make it a "some have it, some not" thing.

Change attachment point from the "Center 2" to the screen. People have no idea why they walk different when they detach the AO by accident. With an AO on the screen, at least they can see something is gone. Plus, 99% of the helpers does not know about this special invisible AO. It was a bad idea.

Have "Animation Override" as a part of the AO names. Like, Gretchen Animation Override.

Edited by Marianne Little

It's always good to see new content for newcomers, and these are nicely done, and different.

One downside though; they all seem to have the same face shape, as if they are octouplets, with different skin tones, which is a bit creepy lol.

It is impossible of course, to make enough starter avatars to appeal to everyone who joins, however this collection seems to have gone for the more unusual types, rather than the mainstream, which is a bit of a strange idea, considering this means they will appeal to even less people than usual.

I would recommend that future collections, take account of what sells in SL. Look at the most popular things people are buying (not just for 1L), and then make a basic version of those things. That way, they might actually be worn for more than 2 mins.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

...... was possible to wear just 1 item from a library avatar by dragging it on you, or by clicking it and wear. In the old days, years ago.

Is the only way to access them, to choose the whole avatar? .....

I noticed this before too.

Short answer.   I dunno?   Is confusing!    

At First I thought it was just because the newer avatars become less than full permission when moved from library to user account.   Newer Avatars being the avatars released since the ones that are shown under Choose an Avatar / Classic.   Kimberly, Wyatt, etc.    

However now the Classic:  Kimberly, Wyatt, etc.     those can be worn piecemeal.   Dragging one object at a time onto avatar.    

So it appears that currently the last two released batches of Starter avatars.   The Ones with shoulder pets or the horses, and the ones from just the other day.   Rhiannon, Petrol Sue, Bitsy,  Gretchen are the ones requiring dragging the entire folder to the avatar (or using the floater)

Additionally The Animation Overrider - Female in some of the Library / older outfits.  Example Female Designer Outfit.   One is unable to drag and drop (transfer) only the AO on to avatar.   It becomes no copy when obtained by dragging the entire folder. 

While some of the older Library outfits, again the  Library / older outfits / Female Designer Outfit example, will become less than full perm in the avatar inventory.   The Slam Bits are goofy and if you rez it into ground and take back.  They lose their restricted permissions.    

So Long answer is still.   I dunno?  confusing!    But seems to be something permissions related.   Mostly.     If it becomes no copy, can't drag and drop, period.  

But is still weird b/c the needing to use the entire folder to wear something that becomes copy, no mod, no trans -- that only applies to the last 2 batches of Starter avatars entered.

2 hours ago, Viadetta said:

I would recommend that future collections, take account of what sells in SL. Look at the most popular things people are buying (not just for 1L), and then make a basic version of those things. That way, they might actually be worn for more than 2 mins.

That would inevitably mean Roxanne the hooker being included in the next batch, though.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

They system avatars with mesh clothes so no use for Animesh.

editable mesh clothing can be linked to an avatar... just because it is made for classic avatars does not mean it will be absolutely unusable for animesh

18 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Is it just me, just the Firestorm viewer or a glitch?

I mean that it was possible to wear just 1 item from a library avatar by dragging it on you, or by clicking it and wear. In the old days, years ago.

Is the only way to access them, to choose the whole avatar? I found out that I had to add them to what I was wearing, this created a folder under clothing, then I could select the folder and "take off". I then had to change shape and eyebrows (the 2 things that I need to shape "me" under all the mesh). Then, and first then, could I wear one item like the brown shoulder jacket I tried to wear.

Isn't this unnecessary complicated?

Best I can tell, your only options with the new ones (and some of the older ones) are 'add to outfit' or 'replace outfit' at the folder level.  Yes, way back we could always simply copy individual items from those library folders to our own folders.  Somewhere along the line, we lost the ability to do a piece-meal thing with all of them, but as mentioned some of the avatars do allow adding single items from the library.  Abigail is newer than Alicia (at least by object property dates), but I cannot directly wear individual items from Abigail, whereas I can from Alicia.  So who knows, but yes it is a total PITA.

I basically went through the library folder and for each avatar did a 'Replace outfit'.  That created the individual folders inside my Clothing folder.  When I had them all, I then did a 'replace outfit' back to one of mine.  Then I went to back to the avatar folders and moved each item that I wanted to whatever folder I typically use for said item (hair, clothes, guitar, doggy, whatever).  I deleted all the remaining items and then moved all the empty folders to a save location.  Then, down the road when they add another batch, I already know which avatars I've already picked apart.

17 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Gretchen has an AO but not the others? Even if it's not called AO, but "Gretchen female formal"?

Not only that, but as Fionolein mentioned, they made the darn thing transparent and when it attaches to 'bottom', it is actually located off screen (at least in my Firestorm viewer).  And for some crazy reason they made the item itself 'not modifiable', yet everything in it is full perm.  So what in the world could possibly be a good reason for not letting us modify the actual AO object (you know, to make it actually visible)?  In other words, there is no logic behind that.   The transparent part and living off-screen matches some of the previous AOs, but at least they were called AO.

8 hours ago, Viadetta said:

One downside though; they all seem to have the same face shape, as if they are octouplets, with different skin tones, which is a bit creepy lol.

It is impossible of course, to make enough starter avatars to appeal to everyone who joins, however this collection seems to have gone for the more unusual types, rather than the mainstream, which is a bit of a strange idea, considering this means they will appeal to even less people than usual.

On the plus side, the shape is one item that is always modifiable in all LL supplied avatars.  It is still better than the days when everyone started as male/female version of Ruth and then created their own unique look by modifying that starter shape.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

It bothers me somewhat that all the avatars are just regular humans. SL has so much more room for creativity, and a huge part of the population don't even use human avatars. Why not have a robot, a furry, a flying toaster...?

Edit: Like, the man carrying the dog is cute, but if it was the dog carrying the man it'd be a thousand times more memorable.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1864 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.