What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, Ren Toxx said:

Well, I’m not a native speaker so maybe I’m missing the subtleties of the term “pet peeve” but, isn’t that like something that annoys you when it rationally shouldn’t?

(Or maybe I’m confusing “pet” with “petty”?).

from https://www.etymonline.com/word/pet peeve

pet peeve (n.): "thing that provokes one most," 1919, from pet (n.1) in the adjectival sense "especially cherished" (1826), here in jocular or ironic use with peeve (n.).

It's also used in this way in "pet project", to indicate an undertaking which is given special status by someone because it's a favourite. It's not necessarily important to others though, so it does share that with petty (which comes to English from the French petit, small).

Etymologically it's about an especially cherished, personal and special status given by an individual to an annoyance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

In live concerts some avatars overdoing their applauds. Often many lines from single avatars, spamming the chat window to unreadable mess. To add the pain the applauds are very noisy ones too! Most disturbing thing is that many start their noisy applauds well before the end of the song. So you cannot actually hear and enjoy the end part of the song because of the noisy applauds.

I believe that in Firestorm (I don't know whether it also is available in other viewers) there is an option to mute Gestures, so you don't hear applause or anything.

9 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Indeed, unfortunately that laugh reaction is somewhat confusing because it can be used in a bad way, and it can be used in a good way.
There are situations when it's a bit hard to guess which one was meant with that laugh reaction by a poster.

LOL

[runs, half-expecting Love Zhaoying to pop in any minute now doing the same but with a much nicer, lion meme pic :ph34r:]

Edited by Ren Toxx

One person's peeve is another person's like.

For example I much prefer flexi hair to mesh hair.  Yes, it penetrates the body.  But the way it moves seems much more realistic to me, compared to the "I used a whole can of hairspray" way that mesh hair bends.

And I liked the derail post too.  I'd rather see things that make people happy, instead of things that make people grumpy.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Coby Foden said:

DJ shouting ever so often "TP your friends, TP your friends, TP YOUR FRIENDS..!" Even though the place is already packed with people and has plenty of lag. :S

"Bring more potential donors in and don't forget to give me money I've got tier to pay and it's hard work pressing play on a preset playlist and also give money to the greeterbot script dancing next to me she also has tier to pay and no marketable skills"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Indeed, unfortunately that laugh reaction is somewhat confusing because it can be used in a bad way, and it can be used in a good way.
There are situations when it's a bit hard to guess which one was meant with that laugh reaction by a poster.

I end up remembering the ones who do it frequently but because the information is then tucked away in the back of my mind it colours how I read everything they post. Mostly I give up trying to figure out if they're being snide in a post or if I'm reading it that way because of the sarcastic smiles and just move on. Oh well, not much more I can do.

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

@Whirly Fizzle and @BelindaN

I'm curious to know what's so funny about Candice LittleBoots' post - the one near the bottom of page 1. It reads like there's a genuine design flaw, which I wouldn't have thought was particularly funny.

Well maybe you've never been there Phil.

It's not about what might be a design flaw, it's about "there but for the grace of God go I"...........

I've dumped stuff unintentionally for exactly this reason. But I don't get uptight about it. Where I come from, such minor "peeves" are laughed off.

Does that explain my reaction? :)

2 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

Another Firestorm one, although this may be alterable. If so I don't know how to do it ..

When you buy something and it says "You paid whoever L$x", and you go to press the 'OK' button.

.. then in the blink of an eye the item pops up to Accept or Discard. The discard button is right where the OK button was and you discard by mistake.

Took quite a few times of mistakes, frustrations, notecards to vendors and re-deliveries learning to pause for a few seconds while ignoring 'You just paid ..' pop up.

I got a quick grab of it, just now >

6917c5855872316f4ac354af99af19f7.png.3c02ceb9b8a2e7aa70dcb4de1fbc02a5.png

I have my options set to auto-accept all inventory offers, so I don't get the Accept/Decline box.  As to the notice that you paid someone money - there is a way to turn that off in Firestorm, because I did so - but I don't remember how off the top of my head.

The one that I feel is hanging around on the landing point, which is why I bought a bumper. Move over butt-head! :D

I use "TP on Teleport" (combined with Fly Override) to avoid the Landing Zone bunch-up. I then quickly fly away a bit before landing. I hate forced landing points at large events for this reason.

2 hours ago, Linda Reddevil said:

Bling jewelry

There is still bling jewelry out there?  Wow.  I almost always have particles off or set super low, so that is why I likely don't see such.

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

@Whirly Fizzle and @BelindaN

I'm curious to know what's so funny about Candice LittleBoots' post - the one near the bottom of page 1. It reads like there's a genuine design flaw, which I wouldn't have thought was particularly funny.

My guess is the laugh was specifically for her last paragraph:

The one that I feel is hanging around on the landing point, which is why I bought a bumper. Move over butt-head! :D

I debated on laughing about that part, but then didn't because I didn't want to laugh at the first part.  This is often a quandary for me when someone's post contains funny and not funny stuff.

38 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I have a pet peeve concerning this forum, and it's even cropped up in this thread lol.

It's using the laugh reaction in a scornful way. It started with just one or two people doing it, but it's been spreading.

They don't give us enough reaction icons.  Truth is, we can laugh with people and we can laugh at them.  If we only have one laugh option, then it gets double usage.

35 minutes ago, norajulian said:

4)  Lastly, My inventory not organizing itself. Idk what else it’s doing while I’m in RL all day. Get yourself together, 90k items. 

^^ This, totally this!!!

Pet Peeve, to me, means minor to major annoyances, but seldom does it mean things that I get super upset over.  My mostly minor irritations: 

Unreadable fonts and titles like 'master/mistress/domme' - I'll probably just ignore the person and not bother addressing them at all.

Teleport offers to events from DJs and Host/Hostesses that are mass-offering them to everyone on their friends list or in the group. Put a message and link in the group notices or group chat - that is sufficient. Ditto for chat conferences that are opened just for advertising.

Using mass gesture crud in chat.

Forced TP routing, especially at a large store or a large shopping area/event - and even more so when combined with the 'No Fly' setting. I detest having to walk through mobs of avatars to get somewhere or having to walk around a huge store to get to a specific area.

• Like 1

Regarding the derail into the - often murky - meaning behind the different reaction buttons: It is a limitation of this forum and little more aside.

Being frank I would think that the intended use of certain reactions would be obvious enough when one considers it in context of the response being reacted to: If no joke was being made - be it intentional or not - the meaning is more likely to be negative, be it scornful laughter or some other meaning.

It is a use of what is available, most especially when one has nothing in depth to say/respond with. For some it is the same as responding simply with I Disagree or Bless Your Heart.

• Like 1

Getting back on topic........

Hair-bases with upstyles? Guilty as charged. I've tried the hair-base on my Genus, but I can't get the colour as I want it, and on some hairs it looks ridiculous, so I find it much better without.

Crowded and noisy sims? Well, I avoid such places in RL. It's probably my top pet peeve. If its that popular its probably not for me.

So when I tp into some crowded laggyfest, I rarely stay...................

That's how I manage my peeves.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I have a pet peeve concerning this forum, and it's even cropped up in this thread lol.

It's using the laugh reaction in a scornful way. It started with just one or two people doing it, but it's been spreading.

It's the natural result of LL giving us a range of reacts, yet none of which take the place of a "dislike" option; so some people made their own.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have my options set to auto-accept all inventory offers, so I don't get the Accept/Decline box.  As to the notice that you paid someone money - there is a way to turn that off in Firestorm, because I did so - but I don't remember how off the top of my head.

Here it is:

Firestorm_Notifications.jpg.a9058cf095d09ed1c6da85b4a8c3c682.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is often a quandary for me when someone's post contains funny and not funny stuff.

Note.  You can laugh at mine because I am normally taking the P out of myself.  I rarely if ever use the laugh in a "mean" way.  If i laugh at a post its because it made me laugh. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

As someone who can't walk so well in RL,  I always find it strange people don't like having to walk from a landing point to another part of the region/store.   However following a slurl from the MP to a non existent store does irritate me. 

It's more that if I make a landmark to a specific point in the region/sim/store, and a landing point overrides that and pulls me to the landing point, that's just petty and annoying. There's rarely ever a need for this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

And a few days you were saying:

THIS! again I understand that I did a really poor job in stating my point on this topic but Syo pretty much nailed what I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to say that "Oh if your extremely outdated you shouldn't even bother with me" or anything like that, I was simply saying customization, avatars and otherwise, is a BIG part of SL. You can customize pictures, Land, buildings, if you want to you can create your own homes completely from scratch, SL is built ENTIRELY by its users, that's one of the main attractions of second life. in SL you can be who you want to be without really any limits as long as it follows the ToS. I know there are people in SL who don't care about how you look and while this is okay, I'm not saying it isn't, you can't deny that how you look plays a significant role on this platform.

Apparently you were saying that if someone is extremely outdated they shouldn't even bother with you. Might as well own it...

Uhm no, if you had read that I was saying that I WASN'T saying that "Oh if your extremely outdated you shouldn't even bother with me" or anything like that, the key word being WASN'T

Edited by IvyLarae
Found a typo
  • Like 2

Oh, here's a new one:

No copy/no mod/no trans boxes for copy items.

Why is this a thing? There is no reason to make the box no perm when every one of the contents is copy. It's raw inconvenience with no upsides at all. People need to stop doing this.

Edit: Bonus points if they make the vendor ad no copy yet still no trans, thus making the box no copy.

Edited by AyelaNewLife
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

That's true, and there are some posts where nothing at all is actually humorous, and yet the odd person (in more ways the one ;) ) laughs - scornfully.

Edited by Phil Deakins

7 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

You could be right about Whirly, but not about Belinda. She's posted the reason, which I have to say, I don't exactly understand.

Maybe it's just down to different senses of humour Phil.

You can't assume it's scornful by the way.

Edited by BelindaN
final comment
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.