Taking down existing home/garden, remodel, how often do you do it?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry for the long title.

I am a bit stuck, I always enjoy to set up a new house, garden, driveway, pool and all that exterior stuff. (You can just replace the words with castle or space station, or whatever you set up on your land.)

Then I do the interior decorating. I use maybe 1/3 of things I own, and buy new things 2/3. I enjoy the freedom of it, because it is expensive and so much work to totally change a home in RL.

And then, what?

I want to do something else. But I see a pattern here: When I rebuild in the same spot, build2 is never as good as build1. I think it has to do with the fact that new land is exiting, and I look to optimize it. When I take down build1, it is just changing for the sake of changing, and so it's not turning out as good. (I am not leaving this plot that I own now.... before I always rented on some private sim)

How often do you rebuild your land totally.... and are you satisfied? Do you think "yes, this is much better" or "this is ok, but the old build was just as good or better". And I am thinking of doing drastic change, not changing a part.

Maybe I should not change before I am totally bored of the build and desperate to do something new. That may spark more creativity?

I should say this is ground building I am talking about. Something about working on the ground is more satisfying. I have no idea about why, it's just me.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

How often do you rebuild your land totally.... and are you satisfied?

Not satisfied, not at all. First there was the boring plain sea surrounding my island, then i was setting up some waves. Because i didnt like the tsunami feeling, i had to dump some heavy rocks into the water, as a wave breaker. Now i miss the unobstructed view while sunset. Next plan is to lift the whole island a few meters, without messing it up completely.

50 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

depends.... if i see a nice house i walk through, if i see the possibility in my thoughts i go for it, if i feel nothing i stick to my current build. If no plan pops up in my mind i know it will get a struggle to make it my "home".

Sometimes i change weekly... or sooner, but also change back to a previous house when it's not feeling right anymore, in general ...4 to 16 weeks...
for my homy feeling i always have my skybox, that didn't change for very long time... but dragging around furniture nearly daily  :) (not all!!...)

• Like 2

I am so unsure and that's why I shouldn't rebuild?

I have 2318 LI, but only 740 available and that's not enough for a build with surroundings in the sky. A skybox, yes. I took down a halloween build that was 600 something LI.

I have houses, but no one begs me to set it up. The latest one.... I fell in love with the kitchen area, but the more I look at the other rooms, the more I dislike them. I have a house where I adore the exterior and first floor, but it has a second floor that I don't like. I have a house I like everything with, but it is too small, and the larger builds in the store is not "me".

I have some houses that was totally a miss, I bought the houses as an impulse buy, but never tried to set them up.

I look at new houses but it is something wrong with every one. One has only a big open room. Others have too many walls and a small entry. Some does not have so nice textures as I want. Some have too big doorknobs ... but to be fair, the houses with the doorknobs also have a crude mesh over all. They are often older, before the builder refined their mesh work. But the interior layout can be just as I want it, not too open, not to locked in.

Me = picky. ?

And then the house I have up now. I like it. I like the terrain around. I just want change.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Not satisfied, not at all. First there was the boring plain sea surrounding my island, then i was setting up some waves. Because i didnt like the tsunami feeling, i had to dump some heavy rocks into the water, as a wave breaker. Now i miss the unobstructed view while sunset. Next plan is to lift the whole island a few meters, without messing it up completely.

That can be hard to do, but what you can do with shorelines is amazing. Like the sandshores and sandslides from Las Islas. Hm. Maybe that's an idea for me.

There have been more than a few instances where I didn't even finish a project before I am ready to move onto something else. That might not make sense to some, but the decorating in itself is the activity I enjoy. Right now, I have a platform set up with a few mini vignettes complete with walls, doors, floors, and windows etc. I can create a lot of very distinctive rooms and appreciate them independently of each other.

I was just walking through Redgrave Homes. Been there before. Even picked up footprints. I like them, but why don't I love them?

Maybe the Luton Manor, but that has a "summer" feeling. Or the Lakeview. It's the tight entry there that's not just what I want... and the floors aren't all that.

And the Roost houses. I have the Palm View up, and the Lake Side or New Port would work so well for the winter season. But the mesh... I can see they are from 2013/2014 and it's much more refined doors and windows in the new builds.

And the Onsu Cucumber house, it's the one I love the first floor but not the second floor.

The last house I bought was the Magick from Scarlet creative and I have the prims for it. It's the house where I love the kitchen area, but not the rest.

I don't complain! I bought so many things in SL on a impulse. It's not the creators fault. I just can't find something that inspire me.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

what you say about textures...you know most are mod, so thats not a problem. It's just sometimes a little trick with your cam to be sure you select the right parts.

I love the redgraves.. in special the San Rosa beach house, you can change all textures to your own likings and it has a nice livingspace.
For my skyhome i currently use the Flutter skybox by Dust Bunny, small..but spacy and homy feeling :)  but also love the White Loft skybox by studio Skye this one is modern but also can change alot by using dividers or drag some walls around ... but there are so many more with quite low Li and mod.

13 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

what you say about textures...you know most are mod, so thats not a problem. It's just sometimes a little trick with your cam to be sure you select the right parts.

I love the redgraves.. in special the San Rosa beach house, you can change all textures to your own likings and it has a nice livingspace.
For my skyhome i currently use the Flutter skybox by Dust Bunny, small..but spacy and homy feeling :)  but also love the White Loft skybox by studio Skye this one is modern but also can change alot by using dividers or drag some walls around ... but there are so many more with quite low Li and mod.

Some buildings has a very nice baked shading in the corners/edges. So changing the texture makes it a flat one, but that is not so easy to see because I use a lot of furniture.

Some mesh builds gives really wonky results when trying to texture them! It is the price to pay for low LI, I suppose. The walls in one room takes the texture as the other room, because it's the same face.

Yes, I like the Flutter a lot! Small rooms is so easy to decorate to give the finished look, not just furniture spread around in a gym hall.

For the bathrooms, I just put down a flat mesh prim and texture it with tiles.

Maybe I'll just set up a lot of skyboxes and teleport between them, and landscape the ground to a park. No builds, no furniture on the ground will free a lot of LI.

On average, at least up until this year when I moved to a parcel on a private region,  I've probably changed my house and landscaping every couple of months.  I usually make sure I have a good set of pictures before I start changing things around, in case I end up not liking the new setup and want to go back to what I had.  Generally, though, I'm satisfied with the new changes (until I get the itch to change things around again.)  It's one of the activities that I really enjoy.  

Yeah - time to 'fess up - here's a chronically changeable muggle + a ruthless minimalist (except when it comes to forests/gardens). The company I rent an island from will have to beat me away with a stick to ever get rid of me - so once I've finished playing gardener/decorator, I'm often ready to start all over again. 

Not in love with the whole 4-walls-and-a-roof thing so much anymore, but did manage to find something that at least fools me into believing it's not really a proper claustrophobic house (practically all glass, semi-circular walls). 

Usually spend all my time outside, so would rather spend the L$'s on good quality landscaping stuff than houses (says she who's spent squillions on houses), but sometimes a teensy kind of open-air thing that can be tucked away in a jungle/forest/vine smothered corner is all I need for a 'house',  because it will only ever really contain a tp up to a dressing room anyway and is quick and easy to remove when the urge to start over again strikes.

Never really know what I'm going to end up with once I wipe the slate clean; just kind of plonk something down first and see what follows, but haven't finished a project I didn't love by the time the transformation was complete.

Like moirakathleen said, it's the activity that's enjoyable, the creativity - seeing what you can come up with. It's all great fun and keeps me out of mischief.

• Like 1

I confess to changing mine every time Ki goes away with work or holiday for more than a couple of days.  Over time he has gone from  "Please don't change the house"  to "please don't move the land" to "Will we have a new sim when I get back"  Now he just gives me an allowance for new landscaping items and crosses his fingers ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/2/2018 at 2:52 AM, Marianne Little said:

When I'm bored, and that's way too often, the first thing I do is tear down my home parcel. It's good I have a home parcel, because I'd remodel my shop monthly, and that wouldn't be good.

Whenever i start getting tired of the home i'm currently using i start looking for a new one for convenience i will use the furniture already rezzed from the previous home getting rid of anything i can't make fit. with having extra prims to play with i have added additional decor items such as lights and shelves, clutter & furniture like a dining table and have upgraded or going to upgrade what i already have to modernise/better fit available space

On 11/2/2018 at 10:01 AM, Marianne Little said:

And the Onsu Cucumber house, it's the one I love the first floor but not the second floor.

I felt exactly the same about the Grapefruit skybox if it wasn't for at least one of the rooms on the upstairs level i'd have bought it

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:01 AM, Marianne Little said:

The last house I bought was the Magick from Scarlet creative and I have the prims for it. It's the house where I love the kitchen area, but not the rest.

I went and looked at that house several times and finally bought it even though I currently don't have the space or the LI for it, but couldn't pass up the intro price.  It reminds me partly of an old house we lived in for a couple of years when I was a little girl.  I can think of all kinds of stories about living in that house.  Of course, now that I have the house (and the kitchen) I'm starting to think perhaps I should pick up some land for it...

On 11/2/2018 at 3:52 AM, Marianne Little said:

How often do you rebuild your land totally.... and are you satisfied? Do you think "yes, this is much better" or "this is ok, but the old build was just as good or better". And I am thinking of doing drastic change, not changing a part.

I used to bulldoze everything and start anew (from terraforming on up) about every 3 months. Once I'd worked my way up to half of a full region it became more like twice a year. I switched to renting a homestead, which added the challenge of twice the space but half the prims. My first build lasted 6 months. The second one took most of a year to create. It was done only to please myself and I couldn't face doing another build afterward. Now I've got a full region -- lots of space, 30K LI -- and I can't bulldoze periodically because about 60% of it is occupied by renters who might get upset if I changed to a fantasy or undersea build. I'm thinking of buying a homestead to use for play space.

I have dozens of houses, which is silly because I've never used most of them. I'll set one out when a build needs a house to look right but usually the interior is left empty. The few times I've done the interior decoration I'm thoroughly sick of the place by the time I'm done. Any outside work takes priority because that's fun.

Most of my builds are so different from the previous that it's hard to say the old one was better or worse. They're just different.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.