I heard last names were coming back. When?

DjWhiteBoi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

I just wanted to add to this discussion by saying that I have compiled all the current information I could find about the upcoming last names feature in Second Life, here:

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/03/22/more-details-on-the-upcoming-ability-to-change-your-user-name-in-second-life/

Interestingly, this is one of my most popular blogposts on my blog, getting around ten views per day. A lot of people are looking for information on how to get last names! I have a feeling that this service is going to be VERY popular, since we have over seven years of pent-up demand for last names.

Vanity - You might want to add a link to Dakota's Reddit post as there is some additional info there, specifically that you will need to be Premium in order to get a last name:  
https://www.reddit.com/r/secondlife/comments/8owkku/dakota_linden_clarifying_how_last_names_will_work/?sort=new

ETA - Her comment actually links to a post she made in a thread here on the forums:
https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/423219-the-latest-on-last-names/?page=6&tab=comments#comment-1757717

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Vanity - You might want to add a link to Dakota's Reddit post as there is some additional info there, specifically that you will need to be Premium in order to get a last name:  
https://www.reddit.com/r/secondlife/comments/8owkku/dakota_linden_clarifying_how_last_names_will_work/?sort=new

ETA - Her comment actually links to a post she made in a thread here on the forums:
https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/423219-the-latest-on-last-names/?page=6&tab=comments#comment-1757717

Thank you LittleMe! I have updated my blogpost and given you a shout-out ?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Trinity Fullstop said:

I wonder will older residents get a chance to change our name... I quite like mine but I have seen some that probably seemed clever at the time but maybe not so wonderful now. 

From all that we have heard, anyone that is Premium will be able to change their name, for a fee - though we don't yet know if they'll limit "how often" it can be done.

• 11 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 6:08 AM, DjWhiteBoi said:

Received an email 6 months ago from LL saying Last Names would be returning.  Haven't heard anything since.  Did a google search and not finding anything on it either.

Anyone have any more info?

The correct answer is always 'soon'.  Do I get a lollipop now? :D

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

Sure, they said it but can't seem to make it happen. Looks like the strategy now is to silently walk it back and hope you forget.

They gave an update at the Meet the Lindens talk.  Oz said that basically they have found out that almost every single piece of LL code has to be touched for this.  Back in the day, none of the developers envisioned that the name would ever change and thus in many places they used the name as the key to things rather than your UUID.  Add to that all of the caches that hold that name as a key.  So tons and tons of code changes required, and that means more testing than I sure want to think about.

However, Oz did also say that they are still working on it and slowly gaining ground on the monster.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They gave an update at the Meet the Lindens talk.  Oz said that basically they have found out that almost every single piece of LL code has to be touched for this.  Back in the day, none of the developers envisioned that the name would ever change and thus in many places they used the name as the key to things rather than your UUID.  Add to that all of the caches that hold that name as a key.  So tons and tons of code changes required, and that means more testing than I sure want to think about.

However, Oz did also say that they are still working on it and slowly gaining ground on the monster.

Yeah, I was there and I heard that too. I also heard end of 2018 which came and went, about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and men landing on the moon. So, please forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical.

2 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

At this point, I simply consider the whole thing cancelt. If it ever comes, its simply going to be a pleasant, unexpected suprise and if it doesn't I haven't wasted my energy on hope.

I agree. I was excited by it at first because I never really liked my last name, but since the announcement was made (2 years ago?) I've realised that it was an appropriate choice after all. 

But having read about the issues with it, it's clear that it is never going to happen regardless of what Linden Lab are saying.  So I am comfortable with that now. 

My sympathies are with those who have a Resident last name.  It seems unfair to conrinue this hope for them when truth is, it's not going to happen. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

But having read about the issues with it, it's clear that it is never going to happen regardless of what Linden Lab are saying.

I get it, why you lose the faith. I kindly disagree. It will happen, eventually. It may even take far longer than even I could anticipate (I'm thinking at least another year,) but I have no doubt it *will* happen. Bringing back last names has be a rallying cry ever since they switched to "Resident" - and switching that back would be a drop in the bucket. But then doing that would just anger all of those stuck with a Resident last name (because they'd have to create a new account to get a different last name).

So the only real option (logically-speaking) is to make the changing of the last name a reality. I believe OZ and Ebbe realize how important this is to long-time "residents" and though it may not be harped on or complained about vocally or loudly, it really is a sore spot with a lot of people (being stuck with Resident as a last name).

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

I get it, why you lose the faith. I kindly disagree. It will happen, eventually. It may even take far longer than even I could anticipate (I'm thinking at least another year,) but I have no doubt it *will* happen. Bringing back last names has be a rallying cry ever since they switched to "Resident" - and switching that back would be a drop in the bucket. But then doing that would just anger all of those stuck with a Resident last name (because they'd have to create a new account to get a different last name).

So the only real option (logically-speaking) is to make the changing of the last name a reality. I believe OZ and Ebbe realize how important this is to long-time "residents" and though it may not be harped on or complained about vocally or loudly, it really is a sore spot with a lot of people (being stuck with Resident as a last name).

I wish I could share your optimism, I really do. But I don't think it will happen before Second Life ceases to exist at all.

18 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I wish I could share your optimism, I really do. But I don't think it will happen before Second Life ceases to exist at all.

Okay, let's lock pinky-fingers in a no-money, friendly bet (I think they call that "Gentleman's Bet", even though I'm no gentleman LOL) If you win I will facepalm then hang my head in shame, if I win I get to point at you and laugh. Deal? :D

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.