I heard last names were coming back. When?

DjWhiteBoi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Okay, let's lock pinky-fingers in a no-money, friendly bet (I think they call that "Gentleman's Bet", even though I'm no gentleman LOL) If you win I will facepalm then hang my head in shame, if I win I get to point at you and laugh. Deal? :D

You got a deal ! 

*links pinkies with you*

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do you think Last Names will be here after EEP, or before? It’s already after BoM, Bellisseria, and other improvements.

I am willing to bet real legal tender cash that they will be here before the promised official Linen Lab open-source simulator software that was promised so you could run your own officially Linden Lab-sanctioned estate of regions from your own computer and share your SL world with the rest of the SL community by plugging into the SL grid.

Oh, wait, they debunked that idea like a week after announcing open-sourcing the viewer, didn't they? 

//nevermind

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I bet they design last names so you gotta pick from a list again.

That was already announce as a definitive YES.

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It was offensive on purpose, at least. Mel Brooks usually is.

Yes it was. On the DVD Mel Brooks intro (and warning) says that movie cannot be made today and that it's purpose was to take all the racism out from the hush-hush under the table and drop it into everyones lap in the open. I have read numerous times that it is that movie that started the open discussion, and be effect, the largest societal change of attitudes about the subject. So, in short, it did its job. And that's a good thing, because sometimes truth hurts.

And one thing I appreciated: He tried to offend *everyone* - by race, religion, culture, all of it. If you can sit through that entire movie without feeling a slap in the face at least once, something is wrong with you.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It was offensive on purpose, at least. Mel Brooks usually is.

Mel Brooks didn't have anything to do with the movie that came from. The movie starred Humphrey Bogart. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, 1948.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Interesting, according to Google it’s also a quote in “Blazing Saddles”.

Mel borrowed it. 

And I still love Blazing Saddles. Even after all these years and changes, it's still funny to me because I know what Mel was attempting to do with it. It was never just a comedy. It was aimed at the hearts of those who are prejudiced. Mel didn't know, at the time, that most of those hearts were made of stone. Even to this day many of my nonwhite friends find it hilarious because they understand the message behind it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

I don't know why SL got rid of them in the first place.

Apparently it was a plan to "integrate" somehow with Facebook. Most of the population was always against getting rid of last names. LL didn't listen. And here we are many years later with pretty much all viable "normal" names taken LOL.   I even saw someone with "damnallthenamesarealreadytaken"  as their designation :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 9/13/2019 at 1:16 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Apparently it was a plan to "integrate" somehow with Facebook. Most of the population was always against getting rid of last names. LL didn't listen. And here we are many years later with pretty much all viable "normal" names taken LOL.   I even saw someone with "damnallthenamesarealreadytaken"  as their designation :D

Ewww FB.

Maybe in 2034 we'll get the last names back.

• Haha 2

On 9/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, Minx Kurosawa said:

Resident and display names came along right after LL laid off a third of their staff in one day. It's only halfway tongue in cheek that I think last names fell victim to cost cutting. If the only name you have is resident, you don't have to pay anyone to make up new ones. If last names were such a big deal, LL could have brought them back any time in the last nine years.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, Minx Kurosawa said:

SL got rid of last names by misinterpreting user behavior data.  People with existing avatars would start the create-avatar process looking for an new last name for their alt, and exit the process if they didn't find a last name they liked.  The problem was that LL was too restrictive with last names, and last names were so popular that people would try the new account creation process frequently to see if a new cool last name had become available.  However, LL wrongly interpreted this behavior to mean that people were dropping out of the account creation process because last names were too complicated. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The day I believe the "soon" crap, and all of the explanations surrounding last name removal, is the day I have full vision.... 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

In other words...it ain't happening.

LL bit their own selves in the buttocks ("oh yes sir, just jumped right up and bit me") on name removal-there wasn't a valid reason for it, ever. They made fixing things as close to impossible as LL can get. It's not actually impossible-it's doable, just impossible for *them, it seems (though frankly I don't understand why,  the explanations are as discombobulated as they can possibly make them, simply to confuse the living bejeebus out of people, and it worked, lol., but I digress...)

I'm not a fan of popping others' balloons, so, if y'all wanna hold on to that last shred of hope as tightly as you can between your...whatever appendages, you go for it,  you hold on tight for the rest of us. :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

LL bit their own selves in the buttocks

Totally agree and up until March 21, 2018 it simply was what it was. I still feel that had they not come out and touted "The return of Last Names" as one of the "FIFTEEN REASONS TO CELEBRATE" this would not have become as popular an issue as it is today.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.