Lines that annoy you most

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

Person: It's not working
Helper: Have you checked A and B, done C and if that didn't help can you tell me what D says?
Person: I don't know

Then you get the ones who - when asked that 'A, B, C' thing - insist (sometimes rather vehemently) "I've already DONE all that!". So you try to guide them through other things, and - after another 20 minutes of fruitless attempts at fixing the issue - they say something that makes you realise they never tried 'A' at all. So you spend five minutes crafting a sneaky request (worded differently from before) to get them to do 'A' (which they had, of course, "already DONE!") et voila! The problem is fixed... after 30 minutes of around-the-houses, when it could have been fixed within two minutes if they had just paid attention to what you were asking them to do in your very first response.

Ah, I love working in support ;) If nothing else, it has taught me near-boundless patience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Then you get the ones who - when asked that 'A, B, C' thing - insist (sometimes rather vehemently) "I've already DONE all that!". So you try to guide them through other things, and - after another 20 minutes of fruitless attempts at fixing the issue - they say something that makes you realise they never tried 'A' at all. So you spend five minutes crafting a sneaky request (worded differently from before) to get them to do 'A' (which they had, of course, "already DONE!") et voila! The problem is fixed... after 30 minutes of around-the-houses, when it could have been fixed within two minutes if they had just paid attention to what you were asking them to do in your very first response.

Ah, I love working in support ;) If nothing else, it has taught me near-boundless patience.

This is why I never ask for help. I am, I think, precisely the kind of person who would drive you nuts. It's not that I don't like driving people nuts, but I want to believe I'm doing it purposely.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This is why I never ask for help. I am, I think, precisely the kind of person who would drive you nuts. It's not that I don't like driving people nuts, but I want to believe I'm doing it purposely.

I bet if you received an automatic link to a FAQ and were asked for specific info like name of product, exactly what happened, what the error message said, what you have tried, and everything else the helper needs to know, you would not respond with: “I have a problem.” And then play 20 questions. 🙂 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

I bet if you received an automatic link to a FAQ and were asked for specific info like name of product, exactly what happened, what the error message said, what you have tried, and everything else the helper needs to know, you would not respond with: “I have a problem.” And then play 20 questions. 🙂 

No, but I'd definitely forget step "A", and I'd be pretty sure I hadn't.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

(Actually, merchants are well aware that 90% of all support in SL for any kind of problem goes first to merchants, and therefore it is our collective job to teach customers how to most efficiently ask for support. Which I assume would spill over into RL. )

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

Patience. Something I had plenty of...

...until I worked over 5 years doing FS support.

I seem to have misplaced much of my patience.

41 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You're doing a fine job! freakout.gif.bba7efff26504ac4476417ee976e7223.gif

• Thanks 1

Another one that riles me up within SL -and- RL:

Me: Hi, this isn't working. I've done, A, B and C and have googled but no dice.
Support: Please do A, B and C and if the problems persist please contact us.
Me: ..................

16 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

To be fair, sometimes A, B, and C need to be done in exactly that order. If you did B, then A, then C... well you've ticked all the boxes but it still might not work ;)

Edited by Skell Dagger

24 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

It sounds counter productive and makes no sense what so ever, but people routinely lie to support because they don't want the hassle of doing something, so support are trained to make you do the steps with them.

I can tell you as a Sim manager and also working in support for a couple SL product lines the worst thing to see right away in your IM box is

"Can I ask a stupid question?"

Annoying pickup lines and such easily handled with the mute button but, these people you HAVE to put up with and pretend to be polite to

Guess I better elaborate so people stop getting antsy. always this question is followed by something that is not stupid in any way. The part that angers me is people downplaying there concerns I wish people would be more upbeat it would make my day more enjoyable and probably theirs as well  you came into SL to have fun not call yourself stupid.

Edited by Atosuria Daviau
Elaberation becouse geesh
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Atosuria Daviau said:

That is a typical probe to test wether an individual is even worth trying to have a conversation with...  I hope your boss reads here because you just failed big time :D

Edited by Fionalein

53 minutes ago, Atosuria Daviau said:

I can tell you as a Sim manager and also working in support for a couple SL product lines the worst thing to see right away in your IM box is

Annoying pickup lines and such easily handled with the mute button but, these people you HAVE to put up with and pretend to be polite to

.....the hell? I ask that question a lot, simply because I am prone to over-complicating things and I'm all but sure that I am not seeing the obvious solution. That very question is not negative, it's quite the opposite, its someone having a problem they know might have an easy solution that they're not able to see. Yet you treat them like *****? Get off your high horse.

For a sim and product line manager you sure are a ray of sunshine. I hope you get fired for treating people the way you admit to here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

.....the hell? I ask that question a lot, simply because I am prone to over-complicating things and I'm all but sure that I am not seeing the obvious solution. That very question is not negative, it's quite the opposite, its someone having a problem they know might have an easy solution that they're not able to see. Yet you treat them like *****? Get off your high horse.

For a sim and product line manager you sure are a ray of sunshine. I hope you get fired for treating people the way you admit to here.

Thanks for the misunderstanding and the "Positive feelings" i dislike the "Stupid question" question because if you took the time to look up support contacts it is OBVIOUSLY NOT a stupid question! Its a a issue your having don't downplay it. I have never had that question followed by a stupid question. Sometimes it points out a major product bug. or a feature to consider later. or perhaps the Documentation needs rewording. I love helping people its Just more enjoyable if they are not beating themselves up.

I am polite always to people but it drives me absolutely bonkers to see people dismiss there concerns as "Stupid"

Edited by Atosuria Daviau

1 hour ago, Atosuria Daviau said:

Thanks for the misunderstanding and the "Positive feelings" i dislike the "Stupid question" question because if you took the time to look up support contacts it is OBVIOUSLY NOT a stupid question! Its a a issue your having don't downplay it. I have never had that question followed by a stupid question. Sometimes it points out a major product bug. or a feature to consider later. or perhaps the Documentation needs rewording. I love helping people its Just more enjoyable if they are not beating themselves up.

I am polite always to people but it drives me absolutely bonkers to see people dismiss there concerns as "Stupid"

If they are asking the question they are not dismissing their concerns as stupid. They are addressing their concerns that they may have overlooked something or perhaps they've had a really rough day and their brains are tired so they aren't thinking clearly. These things and others are expressed using the phrase "can I ask a stupid question".

My usual flippant response is "Do you know how?" since they are asking if they have the ability to ask a question rather than asking permission to ask a question. Then I tell them to go ahead and ask their question but I don't make any guarantees. People usually get it and we proceed from there. Some are able to laugh at themselves, some aren't. I'd rather deal with the ones who can laugh at themselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well we got something in common then. You don't seem to understand the "Can I ask a stupid question?" question for what it is but interpret something wholly negative into it that isn't even there. So you:

2 hours ago, Atosuria Daviau said:

these people you HAVE to put up with and pretend to be polite to

Judge someone by your own definition that has nothing at all to do with the general definition of the question done by anyone but you. How about you stop misunderstanding people and simply do your job instead of beeing needlessly judgy?

• Like 3

My answer to "Can I ask a stupid question?" is always: "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask." So one can answer in a very off-putting, negative way ~holds my nose and points around the room~ or in a *positive, friendly* way. I personally think it begins with being genuinely polite and not feeling a need to pretend at it.

Yes. Really.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

My answer to "Can I ask a stupid question?" is always: "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask."

Yes. Really.

That's the part I forgot to include in my post. I usually say "the only stupid questions are the ones that are never asked" after telling them no guarantees.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That's the part I forgot to include in my post. I usually say "the only stupid questions are the ones that are never asked" after telling them no guarantees.

:D This would not be the first time I get the impression we often think alike.

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So technically, a stupid question can’t be asked..?

"Chica, if you ask a question it makes you look ignorant for 5 minutes – but if you don't ask – you stay ignorant for fifty years, so always ask questions in your life." ~Unknown

"There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question."

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.