Lines that annoy you most

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

This was from a couple of days ago. First time someone ever tried griefing me in a sandbox in 14 years. And a wannabe Joker at that. Never met this person before, never spoke to him before he just showed up on the platform I was using. I was busy and didn't give a flying flip what his RL last name was. I just wanted to be left alone so I could get something accomplished. He must have thought he was being clever with his pickup line. Didn't work on me.

[11:24] Joker Wannabe: found you
[11:25] Selene Gregoire: Please leave. I'm busy.
[11:25] Joker Wannabe: cute
[11:25] Joker Wannabe: your last name
[11:25] Joker Wannabe: is basically  my name in RL
[11:25] Joker Wannabe: hmm
[11:25] Selene Gregoire: So?
[11:25] Joker Wannabe: ill spare you
[11:25] Joker Wannabe: just cause of that
[11:25] Selene Gregoire: Oh fork* off already.
[11:25] Joker Wannabe: oh...
[11:25] Joker Wannabe: lol

Apparently he thought a follower would cause me to crash. I just picked my stuff up after blocking him, TPed home to get rid of the pathetic follower then went back to a different platform and started work again.

Lame griefer is lame.

*That isn't the word I actually used. 

Makes a note never to interrupt Selene in a sandbox ..........

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

For the record,  I have 3 houseboats in my invent should I want to change my current house

I should make that my next project. But first I gotta find an up to date rezzer script so I can pack the furniture instead of trying to link it all. Linking works up to a point.  But at least this way I will know exactly how much LI will be used before rezzing since I can add that info to the object name. Hopefully whatever script I end up using (old or new) will allow me to link the rezzer box to the house/skybox so I can just unlink, rez, place and then delete the rezzer box.

A lot of work just to have quick set ups but I feel it is worth the hassle.

• Like 1

I got two slightly unusual ones last night while dancing.

The first person opened straight-out with a question: "what does cis-gendered mean"?

The second person offered his services as a house elf.

I'm not sure which of these two worries me most about the current state of humanity.

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I got two slightly unusual ones last night while dancing.

The first person opened straight-out with a question: "what does cis-gendered mean"?

The second person offered his services as a house elf.

I'm not sure which of these two worries me most about the current state of humanity.

Start worrying at cis-elf.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Heh .... As a retired chemist ( the field where the cis- / trans- notation came from ), I'll have to admit that I was amused to see how the terms started to be used in a non-chemical context a while back.  It all makes great sense, but probably not obvious to anyone outside of chemistry.

House elves, of course, are another matter.  We can thank Harry Potter for that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

As a retired chemist ( the field where the cis- / trans- notation came from ), I'll have to admit that I was amused to see how the terms started to be used in a non-chemical context a while back.  It all makes great sense, but probably not obvious to anyone outside of chemistry.

Yeah. I use the term (the gentleman in question got it from my in-world profile) mostly as a way of showing support for trans identities. But I'm also acutely aware that 1) the trans-cis dichotomy sets up exactly the kind of reductive binary that is problematic in relation to other elements of gender, sexuality, and identity, and 2) the appropriation of a term from chemistry is a rhetorical strategy designed to validate the distinction that it makes by implying that it is "objective" and, most importantly, "scientific."

By the time I'd finished explaining some of the the complexities of the term to the guy, he'd pretty much moved along.

You can tell I'm pretty good at this, right?

35 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

House elves, of course, are another matter.  We can thank Harry Potter for that.

And if I'd been in a Harry Potter RP sim when the offer was made, I'd have been unfazed by it! But at a blues club?

I mean, sexy or what????

260120572_Dobby-Blank.png.ea205d214c40c5f396cd432d0fe8c47a.png

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

the appropriation of a term from chemistry is a rhetorical strategy designed to validate the distinction that it makes by implying that it is "objective" and, most importantly, "scientific."

LOL... That can have the opposite effect sometimes.  People in the sciences sometimes use that strategy in a patronizing, look-down-your-nose way to refer to colleagues who use the right words but don't really contribute much to scientific knowledge.  As in, "Well, his work has all the trappings of science."  It's similar to the way that Southerners in the U.S. will say, "Oh, bless your heart." or the Church Lady on one of our TV shows used to say, "Well, isn't she special!" when they really mean, "She's trying hard to look smart but she has so little to work with."

27 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

LOL... That can have the opposite effect sometimes.  People in the sciences sometimes use that strategy in a patronizing, look-down-your-nose way to refer to colleagues who use the right words but don't really contribute much to scientific knowledge.  As in, "Well, his work has all the trappings of science."  It's similar to the way that Southerners in the U.S. will say, "Oh, bless your heart." or the Church Lady on one of our TV shows used to say, "Well, isn't she special!" when they really mean, "She's trying hard to look smart but she has so little to work with."

Yeah . . . it can unintentionally have the same effect in the social sciences and humanities too. The embarrassment of the so-called Sokal Affair is one example of what can happen when those fields try a little too hard to sound "scientific."

It's silly and counterproductive, because the social sciences and humanities have their own procedures and orders of knowledge, with a legitimacy derived logically and internally from their own modes of thinking, rather than imported in a mindless way from entirely different disciplines. I'm all for interdisciplinarity, and I think that the STEM fields have much to offer to the others -- and vice versa -- but interdisciplinary work should involve actually, you know, working with people in other fields, rather than merely appropriating their language.

But hey, no listens to me . . .

Thomas Kuhn is another one.  I suspect that people searching for good pickup lines fall into two groups: (1) those who have never read in the philosophy of the disciples and (2) those who have but fear sounding like eggheads.  That pretty much narrows the field to "Come here often?" and "u wanna fk?".  (OK, a little cynical, but there's a truth in there somewhere, along with the house elf.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Thomas Kuhn is another one.

Very much so. I read a really interesting paper a while ago that used Kuhn precisely in this way, to contextualize the development of the social sciences in American universities at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries. The way in which paradigms are constructed across the disciplines is fascinating. Unfortunately, too many people seem to be imprisoned within their own.

15 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I suspect that people searching for good pickup lines fall into two groups: (1) those who have never read in the philosophy of the disciples and (2) those who have but fear sounding like eggheads.  That pretty much narrows the field to "Come here often?" and "u wanna fk?".  (OK, a little cynical, but there's a truth in there somewhere, along with the house elf.)

Occasionally one runs across a third variant: someone who wants to sound like an egghead, but really shouldn't try. I was hit up by a guy (at the same blues club, coincidentally) a few months ago who, I swear, must have had a thesaurus open in front of him while he tried to chat me up. He clearly believed that the key to sounding erudite was using a five syllable word where a monosyllabic one would have sufficed. It was a painful experience enlivened only a little by his occasional misuse of words.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

Here's another one from the book of dumb:

You meet a guy, you chat a couple of times. One time you're occupied with something else: working on something in another program, making dinner, don't want to be bothered...whatever.

*Ding Ding*

Him: Hey

You: Hey

*you become occupied or go back to what you're doing*

Him: Are you busy?

You: Yeah....I'm (insert what you're doing here)

Him: Are you with another guy?

Hit.gif

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, janetosilio said:

Here's another one from the book of dumb:

You meet a guy, you chat a couple of times. One time you're occupied with something else: working on something in another program, making dinner, don't want to be bothered...whatever.

*Ding Ding*

Him: Hey

You: Hey

*you become occupied or go back to what you're doing*

Him: Are you busy?

You: Yeah....I'm (insert what you're doing here)

Him: Are you with another guy?

HAHA  Yes!  This i so classic.  So much confidence coming from these guys.  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.