Lines that annoy you most

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Perhaps the most annoying aspect of String Theory (and the multiverse stuff that springs from it) is the inability to test it. The theory proposes hidden dimensions so small (smaller than the Planck length) that we can't measure them (thank's a lot, Werner Heisenberg). Other universes mighty occupy the same three physical dimensions as us, but separated along one or more of those other hidden dimensions and therefore truly undetectable.

If every one of the potential cohabitating universes is similarly isolated (as String Theory suggests), there's no practical difference to them not existing at all.

String Theory has several competing forms.  I've never heard of anything possible smaller than a Planck Length.  I have some reading to do, I guess.  Suggest anyplace to start?

44 minutes ago, Donna Underall said:

String Theory has several competing forms.  I've never heard of anything possible smaller than a Planck Length.  I have some reading to do, I guess.  Suggest anyplace to start?

I probably should have said "Planck scale" rather than smaller, not that there's any practical difference. The Planck length is fairly beyond our direct measurement reach.

The last time I counted, there were five competing forms and an attempt to unify them (M-Theory). There are some theories that have extra dimension(s) larger than Planck length.

Brian Greene seems a good source of accessible String Theory explanations.

ETA: So long as M-Theory remains ultimately untestable, my answer to Luna's question remains "Yes!".

ETA2: Some Googling finds this... https://phys.org/news/2014-01-scientists-theory.html so maybe we can test String Theory. That said, if we end up with evidence supporting a theory that involves extra dimensions in Planck scale strings, we're still stuck "here", unable to see "there".

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Tried to coalesce a mess of nonsense into a single Planck Length bit of nonsense.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:05 AM, Luna Bliss said:

Do you believe it's possible that realities exist which cannot be measured? Or that will never be able to be measured by the human mind?

Yes!

I thought you were in the 'everything will eventually be able to be measured by humans' camp. I must have misunderstood something you said in this conversation that continues through the months..lol.

But I take it you are not yet willing to believe in Terence McKenna's "machine elves" yet?    Or Jung's entities that he met in his unconscious mind? ;0

21 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Perhaps the most annoying aspect of String Theory (and the multiverse stuff that springs from it) is the inability to test it. The theory proposes hidden dimensions so small (smaller than the Planck length) that we can't measure them (thank's a lot, Werner Heisenberg).

'Planck length' ... couldn't help but think of how long prim hair looked when an avie tipped their head to look down :P

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I thought you were in the 'everything will eventually be able to be measured by humans' camp. I must have misunderstood something you said in this conversation that continues through the months..lol.

But I take it you are not yet willing to believe in Terence McKenna's "machine elves" yet?    Or Jung's entities that he met in his unconscious mind? ;0

We'll never be able to measure everything. Parts of our universe are already beyond observation. In a few billion years, intelligent creatures in our neighborhood, absent our history, will not see evidence to support the Big Bang theory and will think that the Local Group of galaxies are all there is.

As for machine elves and Jung's entities, is there a good reason to believe they're anything other than imagined?

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

As for machine elves and Jung's entities, is there a good reason to believe they're anything other than imagined?

That would depend on how you define 'reality'. Perhaps Science is only one way to define reality yet Science proclaims it is the only way.

Not saying I know for sure machine elves or Jungian entities are real -- it's just that we actually have no valid basis to determine that yet.

48 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Followed by “I heard you can have sex on here. I’m curious about that, but I can’t find anyone willing to do it with me.....:(“

I just submit a formal proposal.

PROPOSED SCOPE OF WORK

1.  Dancing with client while emoting suggestively........................$L100 per hour  (plus expenses of tipping DJ and hostess)

2.  Taking client home.......................................................................$L100

3.  Providing client with necessary equipment ...............................$L0

4.  Teaching client how to undress and attach equipment.............$L200

5.  Showing client how to use scripted bed.....................................$L200

6.  Time on bed with client................................................................$L1000 per hour

7.  Faking orgasm..............................................................................$L1000

Note:  voice option is not included with this proposal.

Client must sign, date, and provide copy of signed proposal along with deposit of $L3000 prior to commencement of work.

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

PROPOSED SCOPE OF WORK

1.  Dancing with client while emoting suggestively........................$L100 per hour  (plus expenses of tipping DJ and hostess)

2.  Taking client home.......................................................................$L100

3.  Providing client with necessary equipment ...............................$L0

5.  Showing client how to use scripted bed.....................................$L200

6.  Time on bed with client................................................................$L1000 per hour

7.  Faking orgasm..............................................................................$L1000

Client must sign, date, and provide copy of signed proposal along with deposit of $L3000 prior to commencement of work.

*Joenewby6969 resident has disconnected*

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

PROPOSED SCOPE OF WORK

Malcom.gif.8e21042365e1a78f0fa3b0bde077762b.gif

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

PROPOSED SCOPE OF WORK

HAHAHA  You might start seeing this floating around the place as a notecard!  

15 minutes ago, BrightAutumn said:

People,who complains  in support groups about any little thing with million words

On the contrary nothing riles me more than

Person: It's not working
Helper: Have you checked A and B, done C and if that didn't help can you tell me what D says?
Person: I don't know

>:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh yeah.  Or the even more annoying Non-Responsive Helpee.  Last night:

In group chat: 

Three helpers:  What's the problem?

Crickets.

I pull up her profile and send an IM:  What's the problem?

Me:  Kicked off?  Do you mean, from a particular place, or from SL in general?

Crickets.

22 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh yeah.  Or the even more annoying Non-Responsive Helpee.  Last night:

In group chat: 

Three helpers:  What's the problem?

Crickets.

I pull up her profile and send an IM:  What's the problem?

Me:  Kicked off?  Do you mean, from a particular place, or from SL in general?

Crickets.

You belong to a group that allows crickets? How do they even type?

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.