Lines that annoy you most

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I certainly know that voice verification -- or demands for RL pics, etc. -- is a thing, and a sort of given in SL, but thinking about it, I actually don't know that I've ever been asked to voice for that reason, or send pics. (Although I was recently asked my bra size . . .)

What am I doing wrong????

Me neither, at least in the year and a half I’ve been back in SL. We should do an experiment to see if we can get someone to demand voice verification! In all seriousness, I think it’s because I don’t hop on poseballs with randos. But I can try for science! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Dunno the answer to that one. I get more of "what are you wearing now?"......

Do you ask them if your avi hasn't fully rezzed for them yet? You could send them a screenshot, or recommend one of those "What Is She Wearing?" HUDs?

13 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Very very occasionally I get asked to voice or Skype, but it got way less when I went mesh for some reason.

That's odd, but it's sort of my perception that, in general, the whole pick-up scene has changed since the introduction of mesh. The two may be unrelated, though.

4 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

Me neither, at least in the year and a half I’ve been back in SL. We should do an experiment to see if we can get someone to demand voice verification! . . . But I can try for science!

Personally, I'd rather watch my avatar be vivisected.

(Which, come to think of it, I actually have done.)

6 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

In all seriousness, I think it’s because I don’t hop on poseballs with randos.

Well, this is sort of my thinking. My conversations with men trying to pick me up rarely last longer than a couple of minutes, so it may be that I'm just never getting to that stage?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I certainly know that voice verification -- or demands for RL pics, etc. -- is a thing, and a sort of given in SL, but thinking about it, I actually don't know that I've ever been asked to voice for that reason, or send pics. (Although I was recently asked my bra size . . .)

What am I doing wrong????

Sounds like you're doing something extremely right...

I haven't had any adult interaction in SL for quite some time so I don't know how the lie of the land has changed. I do remember receiving a fair few d*** pics back in the day. A couple of them had all sorts of weird disco light filters on them. At around the third time, I got a bit tired of it so I drew some Groucho Marx glasses and moustache on it and gave it back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I haven't had any adult interaction in SL for quite some time so I don't know how the lie of the land has changed. I do remember receiving a fair few d*** pics back in the day. A couple of them had all sorts of weird disco light filters on them. At around the third time, I got a bit tired of it so I drew some Groucho Marx glasses and moustache on it and gave it back.

I think the unsolicited d*** pic has fallen out of fashion. I received quite a few in the early days. Brilliant response to one!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Whatever the reason, I'm certainly not feeling like I'm missing out.

9 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Yeah, I haven't been active that way in a good (and I actually do mean "good") way for 8 years. My perception that things have changed a bit is purely observation from a distance: a much more visible BDSM and D/s community, for instance, and things like AFK sex. Not to mention the whole "I won't do you unless you've dropped L$20000 on your avatar" thing. I don't remember men being so choosy back in the day.

One of my treasured memories from way back when was being with a group of other women friends and all of us receiving the same d*** pic simultaneously from the same guy. I'm not saying that we actually defaced it and projected it onto a prim in a fairly public place, but I'm not saying that we didn't either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't think I've ever been asked to verify my RL gender in SL. I have, however, been mistaken for a man in RL, once by my emergency back up mom who, after seeing me turning over dirt in my herb garden a day earlier, asked "Who was that young boy helping you in the garden?". I was happy to hear "young" and ignore "boy".

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

Me neither, at least in the year and a half I’ve been back in SL. We should do an experiment to see if we can get someone to demand voice verification! In all seriousness, I think it’s because I don’t hop on poseballs with randos. But I can try for science! 

I don't hop on poseballs with randos as you put it. I am an SL virgin and will always be. Yes, it does happen to those of us who are not in SL for pixel sex. >:(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

Very very occasionally I get asked to voice or Skype, but it got way less when I went mesh for some reason.

Ohh.. I may have an answer for this..

Early when I started I was chatting with someone who "warned" me about men with woman avis.   She said that mesh is a good way to tell if someone is a "genuine" woman because men don't care about their appearance, so they don't bother spending money on mesh avis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eva Knoller said:

Wouldn't matter if you did, you'd still not owe anyone any more than you were prepared to give.

I remember there was someone in one of my RP communities who would never voice, even though we would often get together as a group for an OOC voice chat. (It was a relatively small RP sim, audition only, plenty of discussion about plots and so on, and there was almost no drama there.) I can't be certain, but I always suspected that she was a trans woman and was worried that her voice would reveal it. That's obviously her prerogative and none of us ever pressured her to voice, but I do wish she had. We would have liked her just as much no matter what she sounded like or what her gender/sex alignment was. She was fabulous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paragonfanfare said:

Early when I started I was chatting with someone who "warned" me about men with woman avis.   She said that mesh is a good way to tell if someone is a "genuine" woman because men don't care about their appearance, so they don't bother spending money on mesh avis.

Sorry Paragon but that simply isn't true. There is no way to tell for certain, short of meeting face to face offline.

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Sorry Paragon but that simply isn't true.

That's funny - why would you believe they were lying to me?

Or are you trying to say that I imagined the entire conversation?

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

There is no way to tell for certain, short of meeting face to face offline.

Thank you, Captain Obvious!

9 minutes ago, paragonfanfare said:

Was the woman who told you this sporting a mesh avi?

My li'l devil avi is mesh and was given to me by... a man!

• Like 2

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

Was the woman who told you this sporting a mesh avi?

My li'l devil avi is mesh and was given to me by... a man!

Honestly, I don't remember.   At the time I thought mesh meant any avi that didn't look like one of the starter ones.

9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I don't hop on poseballs with randos as you put it. I am an SL virgin and will always be. Yes, it does happen to those of us who are not in SL for pixel sex. >:(

Oh I don’t doubt for a second that it does. I just imagine it happens more frequently to people who engage in SLex

• Like 1

Thank you, Captain Obvious!

Who said anything about lying? Who said anything about imagining anything? 

Who is insulting who when there is no call for it?

I know several guys who have mesh avatars. Including the man I have lived with in real life for the past 20 years. You going to call them liars? I want to watch when you say that to my other half.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
there is a c in the word call

Honestly, I don't remember.   At the time I thought mesh meant any avi that didn't look like one of the starter ones.

Yet you jumped on me for stating the truth when you don't even remember what actually happened. Did you even stop to consider that there may be lots of women running around with a mesh body and system head*? I suppose whoever fed you that line would have said that they are guys because they don't have a full mesh avatar. 

There's a word for that. Stereotyping.

*or maybe a mesh head and system body

1 hour ago, Eva Knoller said:

Oh I don’t doubt for a second that it does. I just imagine it happens more frequently to people who engage in SLex

I don't think it makes any difference. The person initiating has no way of knowing what you do or don't in SL without asking first. 

That's why it aggravates me. Some guys automatically assume that if you are in SL you are here for pixel sex. They also seem to believe that pixel sex leads to RL sex with the SL partner.

I originally joined SL to attend a memorial for a friend (illume, if anyone remembers her) and had no intentions of staying. Active Worlds just wasn't the same without her. Then, the day of the memorial service, the other half saw the SL graphics (2004/5) which just beat hell out of AW graphics and... well... here we are 14 years later.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I don't think it makes any difference. The person initiating has no way of knowing what you do or don't in SL without asking first. 

That's why it aggravates me. Some guys automatically assume that if you are in SL you are here for pixel sex. They also seem to believe that pixel sex leads to RL sex with the SL partner.

I originally joined SL to attend a memorial for a friend (illume, if anyone remembers her) and had no intentions of staying. Active Worlds just wasn't the same without her. Then, the day of the memorial service, the other half saw the SL graphics (2004/5) which just beat hell out of AW graphics and... well... here we are 14 years later.

I joined after seeing the US The Office episode which featured Second Life... and despite some very long absences I just can’t quit this place. 

There was actually an Office replica set where fans would hang out. Ha! The good old days.

0B10B217-380D-4201-8705-A5567A33CC90.png.872b74a7299cb587ce0f03b557029ffd.png

• Like 1

Ahem ... Male and I have spent a fair deal on several different avatar forms in varied ways. thank you very much.

Then again, I have a very distinct Femboy side that I occasionally indulge when logged in (see the link to my Snapzilla in my signature for an example) so perhaps that skews things a bit...

Or perhaps the notion that there are real indicators is ... bunk.

7 hours ago, paragonfanfare said:

I think you're taking Selene's comment the wrong way.  She did not, I believe, imply either one.  However, there are a great many people who sincerely believe things that ain't necessarily so!  Selene was just pointing out that your friend's "female detection" method is, in fact, far from accurate.  In fact, I have had many people tell me they have a "surefire way" to detect when a female avatar has a male RL operator.  None of them are, in truth, accurate indicators.  Here are a few...

A Female Avatar is a Man in Real Life If...

• She has a shape with big boobs and narrow hips
  • Her butt is too small
  • Her torso is too long
  • Her shoulders are too wide
  • Her hands are too big
  • Her breasts and hips and butt are too exaggerated
  • Her lips are too full, her eyes are too big
  • She doesn't have a Mesh body and head (your friend's method)
  • She has a female display name but a male user name
  • She dresses like a $lut
  • She dresses like a man
  • She says she's a lesbian
  • She's wearing a ton of blingy jewelry
  • She only has a basic AO
  • She won't send you RL pictures of her
  • She chats in short phrases
  • She uses a lot of l33t speak in chat
  • She uses a lot of profanity
  • She won't Voice with you
  • She will Voice with you, but uses a voice morph
  • She will Voice with you, but has a voice too deep for a woman
  • She offers to have SLex with you (that is, SHE asks YOU first)
  • She refuses to have SLex with you
  • When you do get her to have SLex with you, she wears male genitals

None of the above is a sure fire way to detect a man behind a female SL avatar.  In fact, there is NO surefire way, unless you actually meet the person in real life, as Selene points out.

Having said all that, I think there is a grain of truth in what your friend told you.  I once had a male friend who asked for my help in creating a believable female avatar and the persona to go with it.  During our discussion, I described my system for getting dressed.  It took a while, but the basic idea was "pay attention to the details!"  After I had described a lot of those details (fit, style, color coordinating clothes/jewelry/makeup/shoes/hair/nails) he said, "I could NEVER be a woman!  You guys pay attention to all that?"  This was before mesh, but your friend's observation that women tend to pay closer attention to their appearance than men do has some validity.  But it's by no means a guarantee.  Look at Parhelion's lovely avatar.  Look at Skell Dagger's avs, of either gender.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.