Shadow Griefing ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A big problem of mainland I think... you would have to prove the skybox was only buildt to annoy you to make it abuse reportable... Even if your neighbours decide to build a gigantic cubistic monstrosity out of plywood and decided to call it art you're out of luck...

5 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

the neighbour perhaps doesn't have bad intentions,  doesn't have shadows enabled so doesn't know he causes it?

Easiest is send him a message i think.

Did you read the OP? She mentioned in the first post that she has contacted the neighbour and that said neighbour got upset and blocked her.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Syn Anatine said:

Did you read the OP? She mentioned in the first post that she has contacted the neighbour and that said neighbour got upset and blocked her.

nope..didn't read that, i'm deeply sorry.

Further discussion is useless than, reporting is only solution, seriously doubt it will be seen as griefing,

it didn't start intential but after the response, what is like it's written, a bit in a "direct" style... a matter who has the most patience to stay living there.

If you're on Estate land, he is likely breaking the terms of the covenant so you can complain to the estate owners. If you're on mainland there's no covenant but actually, you can AR this, it counts under Harrassment.  He's clearly positioned his skybox at 80m for the sole purpose of targeting you.

In the meantime there are some other things you can do that will help.

• Use your windlight editor to change the sun angle. This will cast the shadow elsewhere.
  • Put up a massive screen, high enough to hide his skybox,  with a pretty landscape on your side. You'll need several prims for this. His side should be transparent (I'd be tempted to paste a snapshot of his skybox on it - but that could get you AR'd).
  • Build your home in a skybox, far enough from his that you can't see it.  If he moves his skybox to a few metres above yours, then you have proof that he's deliberately harrassing you.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 2

On 21 April 2018 at 2:18 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

If a man builds a skybox at 80m and it plunges your parcel into shadow .. and he blocks you for being critical of his architectural prowess .. does that count as griefing ?

You know you can edit your own windlight so as to have a non standard sun motion direction that would make sure the shadow didn't fall across YOUR parcel, right?

Oh and no, it's not griefing, anymore than if he built an 80 m high apartment building, or a life sized replica of the statue of liberty, thats the "joy" of living in the Madlands... No Rules!

I use only Firestorm, so idk about other viewers - Firestorm allows you to "move the sun" as Rhonda and Klytyna suggested two different ways:

- you can change default windlight in the viewer and keep it as your "permanent" everywhere you go (I do that myself and I use neutral WL with almost no shadows - no shadows on faces makes everyone looks nice!)

- you can set (permanent) WL for your parcel

(And to change east position if its needed).

The parcel setting will be visible for your visitors as well (if they will allow it in their viewers).

(And in the future it will be probably easier, LL already annouced more user friendly changes about EEP.) 

---------------------

Anyways my computer is not "potato" and "shadows on" make me very laggy on mainland, I turn it on only for taking pictures when my camera position doens't move. And I though most users do same to avoid lags, so I would never think your neighbor rezzed skybox to create "shadow-griefing".

6 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Oh and no, it's not griefing, anymore than if he built an 80 m high apartment building, or a life sized replica of the statue of liberty, thats the "joy" of living in the Madlands... No Rules!

There are rules... they're called Community Guidelines. They apply on Mainland too.

Building your skybox at 80m almost directly above your home, and blocking you when you ask them to move it... yeah, that's griefing. If he wasn't griefing he wouldn't have blocked the OP, he'd have apologised for his oversight and moved it.  Had it been an 80m tall skyscraper or a castle or the Statue of Liberty or some other such thing, I wouldn't have said so. But the OP specified that this is a skybox. It has no legitimate reason to be at an altitude of 80m; it's only there to harrass and intimidate the OP.  And that does make it AR-able.

• Like 2

My friend has a mainland plot. There is vast amount of low level skyboxes and other objects floating 30 to 100m in the air, it looks absolutely awful, and some of its been there for at least 10 of SL's 15 years by the look of it ! A derender fest and Bree's draw distance tip made it all look pretty again. Thankyou firestorm for quick prefs :D

On 22-4-2018 at 9:13 PM, Lewis Luminos said:

Building your skybox at 80m almost directly above your home, and blocking you when you ask them to move it... yeah, that's griefing.

On 21-4-2018 at 3:18 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

he blocks you for being critical of his architectural prowess

crux might be in this last... doesn't sound very tactical. Flies are catched with honey, not vinegar. Perhaps a two sided issue.

Curious what the outcome will be.

On 23/04/2018 at 5:13 AM, Lewis Luminos said:

If he wasn't griefing he wouldn't have blocked the OP, he'd have apologised for his oversight and moved it.

Although we know Coffee is sweet; in general a part of many problems can come down to how someone approaches their neighbor. There are foreseeable cases where a block might be warranted. Let me make up a 100% fictional example that in NO WAY represents Coffee, so I can make this point and help other people in similar situations:

Hello?
Second Life: User not online - message will be stored and delivered later.
Are you there?
Look, I want you to move your skybox, it's casting a shadow on my home
Why haven't you move your skybox yet, it's been an hour
I am so <redacted> angry, my home is pitch back and I can't see my furniture, I am going to AR you
I've banned you from my land and done an AR too, I asked you to move your <redacted> skybox 61 minutes ago you <redacted> <redacted>

I am really sure Coffee is 100% in the clear and this exchange didn't happen in this case... but it always pays to be professional and polite to your annoying neighbors.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Hello?
Are you there?
Look, I want you to move your skybox, it's casting a shadow on my home
Why haven't you move your skybox yet, it's been an hour
I am so <redacted> angry, my home is pitch back and I can't see my furniture, I am going to AR you
I've banned you from my land and done an AR too, I asked you to move your <redacted> skybox 61 minutes ago you <redacted> <redacted>

And this is part of why I won't live on the Madlands next to Madlanders...

That whole "Your fruit tree casts a shadow on the ivy on my garden fence, I will now buy a trebuchet and lob 200lb balls of burning sulpher  at your house because I'm ENTITLED to restitution for you griefing my fence ivy..." thing Madlanders have going on. ;) 

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.