SL vs RL - general thoughts

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/17/2018 at 3:51 AM, Karina Leborski said:

For me Second life is a wast social phenomenon of the new era. Some place people can be whoever they want and do almost everything they want. But still, there are some real emotions can be involved. It scared the hell out of me back in 2009 and I preferred to run from it. Now, I have some general thoughts about mixing or keeping separate SL and RL. Is it even possible? Here is a short questionnaire, you can answer some, or all questions, just interesting how different people see it.

1. Do you keep SL apart from RL? Are you open about RL with people in SL? Do you tell your RL friends about SL?

2. Do you act very differently in SL than in RL?

3. Do you spend a lot of time in SL? Do you think you can spend less time, if RL demands it? Do you think SL is addictive?

4. Do you think SL affected or changed your RL self? In a good or in a  bad way?

5. Do you think SL only relationship can be considered as an RL adultery? Can you manage both relationship without getting in trouble? 

6. What is the most important thing there is about SL for you?

7. Do you think a lot about things that happened in SL when you are offline?

Thanks for participation!

1. Don't really need to keep it apart, I tell people irl about my visit to Stepford often, it't not my thing but shows how open SL is. Nothing "Hang on, just hear me out" can't fix. Next minute the person would go from thinking SL is crazy to wanting to try it, but then I know they will probably quit because dressing up is like a rocket ship for newbies.

2. Nah I am a terrible human being at both places, I enjoy needless bragging, doubling down when someone finds me agitating, taking chances for the sake of it and talking to total strangers, and I practice wide range of sexual deviancy. I would love to go into full details but I don't think the forum rating would permit.

3. Both are fun, personally I like RL better since that's the end game.

4. Nah 

5. Nah for all I know that big chested blondie is probably uncle bob irl.

6. Money of course, sweet L$ convertible immediately to US dollars; the most accepted commodity of the world. 

7. Nah 

Edited by iamyourneighbour

• 3 years later...

Summing this topic up - The RL issue

SL helped me. I was in an abusive relationship. First SL started as harmless fun whilst I was curious, it did lead to some rl influencing which was bad. I kind of go addicted to its rl influence on me.

However... despite this i was able to earn a substantial amount in sl.

2ndly - My abuser got worse + her family. One day I decided to create a virtual person I would keep it inworld with after several awful date i just bumped into someone putting a board up. A relation had just killed themselves and i had no family support

Next thing i knew a year had gone by we met , she was the same in both worlds we had spoken almost daily on discord,

3 years in we are moving in together doing stuff in sl together and rl together no secrets, it really fixed my life - Religious or not Adultery or not I'm happier for it

28 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Is this an either/or question?  I pick SL.

For me, the differences no longer exist. I've watched SL become more and more like RL for well over 15 years. Should have been expected since SL is populated by humans. Some of us had hope it wouldn't happen. Silly us. So unless something drastic happens by the end of the year and some changes are made in SL (LOL) I might as well pick RL. At least I won't be alone all the time in RL. Just most of the time.

And of course NOW my eyes are finally adjusting to the smaller screen size of my laptop (since my main desktop died and backup is way out of date on Win10) so that maybe I can actually see what I'm doing IF my laptop  can actually run SL. I've never even installed a viewer on it. lol

Sucks to be me. xD

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 3

1. Do you keep SL apart from RL? Are you open about RL with people in SL? Do you tell your RL friends about SL?

Today, isn't it almost unremarkable if you hang out with people, play, create, learn, become, or even work in virtual worlds online? 

No, they're increasingly similar or aligned experiences. :)

3. Do you spend a lot of time in SL? Do you think you can spend less time, if RL demands it? Do you think SL is addictive?

Sometimes! It's been a function of my activities, what communities I participate in and how, and the ebb of flow of life in times of personal or global transition. I think SL is empowering, like a magic hometown you can carry around with you. 

4. Do you think SL affected or changed your RL self? In a good or in a  bad way?

I know it did, it was surprising how much because it was very much like a 'before SL' 'after SL' strata dividing live before and after I joined. I didn't sustain many of the activities I had been doing before, but that might have been a simple reflection of the changing times because it was as if the worlds that I had been connected to all but disappeared right around the same time. MU*s and IRC were being replaced with experiences like SL and UO and WoW, and so it goes.

5. Do you think SL only relationship can be considered as an RL adultery? Can you manage both relationship without getting in trouble? 

It's totally a function of that pledge you made in that relationship. There's no outside authority on that, that's specific to your relationship and what something even means in it.

There is nothing else in my life that feels as contiguous for as long as SL itself has, and so I guess SL won the race to being the most persistent life, haha. 

Often, good experiences and connections are like that.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

On 3/16/2018 at 10:51 AM, Karina Leborski said:

Answer - Mostly my real life is off limits.  I will let SL friends know if I am ill though for example.

Answer - I'm a bit sillier in SL sometimes than I am in RL.  But, that is about it.

Answer - No, I don't spend too much time in SL.  I am AFK a lot too working in other programs. 

Answer - No.  

Answer - I'm not married and I'm not here to judge others.  I'd have to leave that up to each person and their personal situation.

Answer - Creativity.  

Answer - I build mostly so I sometimes think about other's art when I am offline and I find it inspired me.  I also may think of jokes we shared or a great event.  

I'm not overly worried about sharing stuff about RL. There are a few no go zones: RL name, residence, phone number etc.
It is very seldom that I tell others about my SL hobby in RL. They tend not to understand.

That depends on what I do. Sid is pretty much just like me, but younger, slimmer and as wise as a 60+ years old. :)
Although I never have the feeling that he IS me. He is the puppet and I'm the puppeteer.

The first years in SL, I was totally addicted to the platform. Sleep,work, SL, rinse and repeat, barely anything else.
Maintenance Wednesdays were terrible, made me feel like a junkie waiting for his fix.

That is totally over now.
I had a few periods of several months that I stepped away from SL.
At the moment I'm almost every day in world, partly due to the current corona lockdowns.
I'm no longer obsessive about it. I can easily not log in or log out when RL is calling or when I want to do other fun stuff like cooking, watch TV, dusting, ironing or laundry. :)

I still haven't gone to the roof of the apartment building that I live in to take off to fly. So not much real changes, I guess.

Having a good time with fiddling around with stuff, whether it is building, decorating or avatar maintenance. Hang out with people comes in second.

Seldom willingly active, but the best building ideas and solutions pop up out of the blue, when I'm not online.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

Omg this was a necro!!!! 😵

So, that only shows the subject of the thread is good.
There are so many new posts already that it is no longer really necro.
Recycled is a better definition IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

So, that only shows the subject of the thread is good.
There are so many new posts already that it is no longer really necro.
Recycled is a better definition IMHO.

True, personally I don't mind necros but after being on this forum for a while I noticed others think it's a mortal sin, so I get embarrassed when I accidentally reply to one 🙊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

True, personally I don't mind necros but after being on this forum for a while I noticed others think it's a mortal sin, so I get embarrassed when I accidentally reply to one 🙊

I don't mind them either :) The forum's so big, it's easy to miss topics at the time. 

• Like 2

On 3/16/2018 at 1:51 PM, Karina Leborski said:

1. I try to keep my sl and rl apart to a point, at the end of the day my avatar is still a part of me from the fashion sense to her personality, she's helped me shine the better parts of myself even on my bleakest of days.

1a. I talk about SL a lot, people are either willing to listen to find out more since it's a passion of mine in a way and others kind of just humor me and listen.

1b. Everyone in my life knows I'm there and why, I feel like a misfit rl while in sl I fit in perfectly.

2. How I act in sl is how I wish I could be rl. There is an expectation for me here while on sl there isn't much of one, I'm a lot freer here than rl.

3. It can be addictive, yes. Anything can be addictive.  I take breaks from sl every few months as it does lose my attention after a time, partly why I try not to keep a friends list.

4. It might have changed me some, I'm a little more socialable now a days.

5. Depends on how you want to look at it, how disconnected are you from the two and if you are in a current rl relationship.  I, fornone am polyamorus and have an agreement with my rl partner on how we do things, course he also doesn't care as to what I do as long as it doesn't affect my rl.

6. I'd have to say it's the freedom to let myself go and the freedom it gives other people.

7. Only if I'm building a new outfit. But then it's in short bursts since I have other things that weigh on my mind that's a lot heavier.

Edited by Mortified Wanderer
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2018 at 6:51 AM, Karina Leborski said:

For me Second life is a wast social phenomenon of the new era. Some place people can be whoever they want and do almost everything they want. But still, there are some real emotions can be involved. It scared the hell out of me back in 2009 and I preferred to run from it. Now, I have some general thoughts about mixing or keeping separate SL and RL. Is it even possible? Here is a short questionnaire, you can answer some, or all questions, just interesting how different people see it.

1. I used to put RL photos in my profile until an insane stalker griefer we banned began harassing me. They're not just *****wits now, they're insane and dangerous.

2. I act the same as I do in RL in SL.

3. Yes but working in RL simultaneously and AFK Much of the time. However, lately I'm only on when my bestie comes on. Sl has got boring for me. I've done and seen all there is to do after 11 years.

4. No

5. Adultery can be in the mind too, in fact, it's the most damaging kind to a parner. I do not do sex or engage in "love" in SL. Period.

6. Physics = flying sailing horseback. NO other paltform has it.

7. Never.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.