Entitled people think instructions are unfair

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've seen instructions so awful they're unfair to people who can.

In SL the product instructions I have read have been extremely clear and simple, probably because if they are not, the creator will be severely punished until they are.

Even IKEA furniture instructions can be confusing at times and they’re little crude drawings. That’s about as simple and dumbed down as you can get.

I’ve seen instructions that are terrible myself. Those are rare though and by no means an excuse NOT to read the instructions. 

Had a conversation with my son earlier today, while he was working on a model after I heard him muttering to the cat about something not fitting right.

Me-"Why aren't you reading the instructions?"

Him-"Instructions are for suckers"

Me- Staring at the fifty million pieces before him..."Kid, you're going to need those instructions if you plan on getting it together right"

Him-"Then you read them, I'm doing fine here"

Me-Picking up the instructions.."what the hell"

Him-"I told you so"

In his defense, he DOES read instructions, thoroughly, even when he doesn't need them. Though, being a teen, and a smartass, he doesn't always listen/follow directions as given, lol. However THESE instructions were in..I don't even know what language, definitely not English, Spanish, German, or French(the only languages we can actually read and/or translate, somewhat efficiently). They looked like some odd combination of mixed language sentences/phrases. But, even the pictures on them, were way off base. He also got it put together just fine on his own, after a bit of frustration. 

I'm a person that will tell folks to always at least read instructions/directions, and then get assistance if they still don't work. I can't really defend all instructions/directions in rl when there are a lot more of them off base than ones on point(or so it seems at times). I'm not sure it translates well in sl though, because I find it to be the exact opposite of rl...in that most directions/instructions are pretty clear cut in sl, and it's the fact that *people are either failing to follow/read them, or simply choosing not to out of arrogance or ignorance.

44 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

In SL the product instructions I have read have been extremely clear and simple, probably because if they are not, the creator will be severely punished until they are.

Right, the distance between creator and customer is quite small in SL, and in small RL businesses.

Big RL companies often move instruction writing away from the design team into the marketing/customer service area. The people there may not have sufficient knowledge of the product to write good instructions. This separation of design from customer service can not only result crap instructions, it can result in crap products.

• Like 4

If anyones ever heard of pokemon, the online battle community is the definition of entitle. 90% of them use external programs to cheat in their teams, and when asked why tis always along the lines of "BUT IZ SO HARD N SO TIME CUNSUMIN TO BREED TEH MONZ!?" I'm sure theres also someone who can bring up another example in another community.

There is one area in which a great many written instructions fail. It happens on a regular basis in technologies subject to frequent and variable change (computers, for example). Second Life technology changes these days by leaps and bounds. Standard was the standard. For years. Then virtually overnight (yes I did that on purpose) it all blew up. Mesh. Standard sized mesh. Rigged mesh. Fitmesh. Did I get those in the right order? Often, a person writing instructions only goes "back" one generation. For someone who is starting five levels back they are pretty much useless. Now a creator can just shrug and say, "Tough. If you haven't kept up then you're somebody else's problem. I've got plenty of customers who pay attention to changing times." That's fine for SL. I didn't  have that luxury in RL. My  instructions were expected to work, period. For everybody.

I settled on writing detailed instructions on how to get up to speed from the old levels, but I'd include that as a step. If it was Step 4, I would lead off by writing, "If you already know how to do/use this that and the other, skip to Step 5." That way even if they did decide they knew it all and skipped Step 4 they'd at least remember it was there in case they needed it. Worked pretty well. For SL, I think a person could probably just have a well organized list of links for Step 4: as in 'Go here to learn about such and such.'

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Assuredly.

The better part of the political trouble the US is in comes down to entitled bros descended from previous generations of entitled bros voting and agitating to keep the premise their entitlement is built on.

e31.jpg

• Haha 2

Note that the entitled don’t find instructions hard, but unfair. To them. Because presumably reading even the clearest takes too much of their more valuable time and effort. 

Of course their definition of “unfair“ is incorrect. As I told students many times “unfair“ does not mean “I don’t like it“. They don’t really have much sense of fairness. 

On 26.12.2017 at 5:50 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

This would be a non-starter for me. If you gave me instructions and told me I'd be punished if I didn't read them, I might reply "Do I get to punish you if I find the instructions less than excellent? If so, prepare for punishment, excellent instructions are both difficult and rare."

Would the researchers consider me entitled or arrogant?

The answer is neither. I'm oppositional and I have a childhood diagnosis to prove it and parents who deftly worked around it.

I think the difference is who you blame when disaster strikes because you failed to follow the instructions. If you take responsibility yourself, you're a stuborn individualist, if you think it's everybody else's fault, you're a spoiled brat (or "entited" if you like), if you blame Linden Lab, you're an SL user.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.