Entitled people think instructions are unfair

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Explains what we often see in this forum:

http://spsp.org/news-center/press-releases/entitled-people-instructions-unfair

“Recent research found people with a greater sense of entitlement are less likely to follow instructions than less entitled people are, because they view the instructions as an unfair imposition on them. The results appear in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science.

Scientists already know entitled people - technically, individuals with a higher sense of entitlement - are more likely to believe they deserve preferences and resources that others don’t “

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Ah yes, the special snowflakes. We've a whole damned generation of them coming into adulthood right now.

The "best" part of your link though Pamella

“A challenge for managers, professors, and anyone else who needs to get people with a sense of entitlement to follow instructions is to think about how to frame the instructions to make them seem fairer or more legitimate,”

in other words : keep coddling them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Ah yes, the special snowflakes. We've a whole damned generation of them coming into adulthood right now.

No clue how to make instructions sound “fairer” anyway. Seems some perceive multiplication facts unfair.

“The fact that there are a lot of complaints these days about having to deal with entitled students and entitled employees,” says Zitek, “suggests the need for a solution.”

I have a viable solution.  Use the study's research questions to weed out the entitled and hire well qualified people for less money. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From the article "“We thought that everyone would follow instructions when we told people that they would definitely get punished for not doing so...".

This would be a non-starter for me. If you gave me instructions and told me I'd be punished if I didn't read them, I might reply "Do I get to punish you if I find the instructions less than excellent? If so, prepare for punishment, excellent instructions are both difficult and rare."

Would the researchers consider me entitled or arrogant?

The answer is neither. I'm oppositional and I have a childhood diagnosis to prove it and parents who deftly worked around it.

Unless the researchers mischaracterized their approach in the article, I'm pretty sure their instructions would have deserved punishment. Their approach certainly does.

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

One of the most entitled people I've ever had the eventual pleasure of working with is an MIT engineering PHd (who is 65ish by now). It took me about a year to win him over via a mix of demonstrated competence and left handed admiration. He is one of the brightest people I've ever met, but his social awkwardness was the fulcrum on which I could lever him into a position from which he could eventually admit that I'm one of the brightest people he's ever met.

Want a coddle? Give a coddle.

;-).

• Like 5

It concludes "A final set of experiments, exploring fairness, finally got to the reason: “Entitled people do not follow instructions because they would rather take a loss themselves than agree to something unfair,” wrote the authors."

Another word for that is altruism, a noble motivation. The article confuses me, where someone's sense of entitlement is to more than their fair share it is selfish, but if their sense of entitlement is to fair treatment then that is a positive and something constructive for society and employers. the articles authors have failed to distinguish between them and seem to want to keep us all in our place as subservient unthinking followers of their rules regardless of their impacts on other people than ourselves.

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

It concludes "A final set of experiments, exploring fairness, finally got to the reason: “Entitled people do not follow instructions because they would rather take a loss themselves than agree to something unfair,” wrote the authors."

Another word for that is altruism, a noble motivation. The article confuses me, where someone's sense of entitlement is to more than their fair share it is selfish, but if their sense of entitlement is to fair treatment then that is a positive and something constructive for society and employers. the articles authors have failed to distinguish between them and seem to want to keep us all in our place as subservient unthinking followers of their rules regardless of their impacts on other people than ourselves.

“Recent research found people with a greater sense of entitlement are less likely to follow instructions than less entitled people are, because they view the instructions as an unfair imposition on them.”

They think it is unfair for them to be treated the same as everyone else, since they are special and better than everyone else. 

23 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

“Recent research found people with a greater sense of entitlement are less likely to follow instructions than less entitled people are, because they view the instructions as an unfair imposition on them.”

They think it is unfair for them to be treated the same as everyone else, since they are special and better than everyone else. 

Why I find the article confusing, it starts off saying one thing looking at selfish people and then in conclusion explains the behaviour as motivated not by selfishness they were looking for but altruism. The only conclusions i can draw is they haven't done very good research or the article summarising the research is misleading.

Edited by Aethelwine

9 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Take away: be careful trying to help entitled ppl with info or instructions they might find unfair.

All jokes aside, SL is a pretty good example of this. It might be an extreme example, but I’m sure as a creator you see it all the time.

I know in a lot of product groups I see people ask a question, people try to help them and the person that needs help goes off on a rant.

My favorite goes like this:

person that needs help: I’m looking for X.

helpful person: Oh, Y sells that.

person that needs help: Great! Anyone got a landmark?

me: *does a quick search, it’s literally the first thing that comes up* Did you search it?

person that needs help: I couldn’t find it. Can someone give me the link or a LM plz?

*5-10 mins pass, someone probably gave them the LM*

person that needs help: I’m at Y, I don’t see X.

helpful person: it’s right by the landing point with the giant flashing new item sign over it.

person that needs help: Yeah, I don’t see it.

helpful person: I was just there, it’s right in the front....

person that needs help: I’m in the back of the store. Why isn’t anyone helping me?!? *5 min rant about the evils of mesh*

Me: *closes chat box*

• Like 7

In the forum people get enraged when others suggest they Google for themselves. Or check the Knowlwdge Base. Or ask the creator or product group, etc. 

ETA Oh,  and they are too busy to put posts in the right sub forum.

They prefer others do it for them, then report back. Because their own time is too valuable.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

SL is a pretty good example of this. I know in a lot of product groups I see people ask a question, people try to help them and the person that needs help goes off on a rant.

Over years of haunting the Answers forum, I've seen this numerous times. I don't think I've ever seen it so clearly in RL, unless someone's been drunk. Society excuses bad behavior from the intoxicated and can't punish the anonymous for it.

• Like 2

I never really told someone to google something unless I didn't know the answer myself..It's usually one of my last things I say to them..

You can try google,because I really don't know where else to look..

I may have jumped a little quick on my response to the thread since I had a pretty bad RL experience at work for the past week or so with someone at work that was just being down right spoiled lazy and causing soo much work for others to the point that I had to get involved..

So I may have jumped in with a little bias in my head that first round..Sorry about that..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.