Entitled people think instructions are unfair

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I think the difference is who you blame when disaster strikes because you faield to follow the instructions. If you take responsibility yourself, you're a stuborn individualist, if you think it's everybody else's fault, you're a spoiled brat (or "entited" if you like), if you blame Linden Lab, you're an SL user.

I prefer to blame our house gnome...he goes by the name of nobody, and sometimes his nickname, "not me". 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I think the difference is who you blame when disaster strikes because you failed to follow the instructions. If you take responsibility yourself, you're a stuborn individualist, if you think it's everybody else's fault, you're a spoiled brat (or "entited" if you like), if you blame Linden Lab, you're an SL user.

When disaster strikes, Maddy blames me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:25 PM, Dillon Levenque said:

There is one area in which a great many written instructions fail. It happens on a regular basis in technologies subject to frequent and variable change (computers, for example). Second Life technology changes these days by leaps and bounds. Standard was the standard. For years. Then virtually overnight (yes I did that on purpose) it all blew up. Mesh. Standard sized mesh. Rigged mesh. Fitmesh. Did I get those in the right order? Often, a person writing instructions only goes "back" one generation. For someone who is starting five levels back they are pretty much useless. Now a creator can just shrug and say, "Tough. If you haven't kept up then you're somebody else's problem. I've got plenty of customers who pay attention to changing times." That's fine for SL. I didn't  have that luxury in RL. My  instructions were expected to work, period. For everybody.

I settled on writing detailed instructions on how to get up to speed from the old levels, but I'd include that as a step. If it was Step 4, I would lead off by writing, "If you already know how to do/use this that and the other, skip to Step 5." That way even if they did decide they knew it all and skipped Step 4 they'd at least remember it was there in case they needed it. Worked pretty well. For SL, I think a person could probably just have a well organized list of links for Step 4: as in 'Go here to learn about such and such.'

I don't know why the Forum would not let me just EDIT this post instead of QUOTING it to create a new post, but so be it. I just found that 'list of links' I mentioned. Turns out it's just a single link and from a source I should have known would provide it. Naturally I shall call it "The Missing Link".

I am considering turning my back on the shape that has defined me for the last 8 years and switching to Mesh (trying to salvage as much of "me" as I can) but there are so many things I don't know. I see people drop these terms all the time here and all I know is that they have something to do with Mesh. I can keep my head comfortably in the sand and ignore 'em, so I do. Tonight I started poking around in earnest, and a lucky search phrase brought me to a blog post from Nalates Urriah, one of Second Life's most savvy ladies. Everything I always wanted to know about Mesh but was too embarrassed to ask. Right there. One blog post. A short read, but then good instructions always are.

The Missing Link: http://blog.nalates.net/2017/04/10/second-life-mesh-vs-classic-bodies/#comment-173439

• Like 1

I'm a 1 on 1 cognitive disability assistant across 9 colleges, all disciplines and each case is entirely different. They read nothing, no matter how much I coax. Come exam time. its all down to sign language. Raise an eyebrow half a millimeter or slightly pursed lips thats when the "reading" starts. Fascinating stuff indeed. 8^)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.