Land prices

SamathaStarr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Very funny. Only someone who hasn't been here long enough and doesn't know much would believe I have only been here for two weeks based on the fact everything I said is correct. Plus, it's longer than two weeks. Try 10 years. Don't ask. Work it out. And look it up.

funny you as two weeks old noob lecture somebody who posted nearly TWO years ago
get to know SL a bit or don't use a sock puppet to post here.

Try again buddy. Is  what I said true? You haven't got a clue! That's the problem with people like you. You don't think much about things. Plus time has nothing to do with the truth. Or how long any avatar has been here.  A dumbass is a dumbass regardless of time. Think about that. While you figure out that I know more than that ***** no matter how long ago it was posted or how young my avatar is.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LaleaNeagra said:

Very funny. Only someone who hasn't been here long enough and doesn't know much would believe I have only been here for two weeks based on the fact everything I said is correct. Plus, it's longer than two weeks. Try 10 years. Don't ask. Work it out. And look it up.

Well, it's true that the avatar you're using just now is over 2 weeks old; it's 3 weeks at the moment.  We're quite clever, you know, as we realise that it's probably an alt.  Where else would you get money from, unless perhaps it's from one of the people in your hundreds of SL selfies.  Now, that's quite an acerbic reply from me to your remarks aimed at Ethan, but I've seen him post here for some time and I respect his views.  You, however, are rude.  Not a very good impression of yourself to leave if you wish to start a business.  Where were we?  Oh yes, in a Land forum discussing land prices in a resurrected topic from someone who said she was "out of here" but is inworld as I write.  Goodness, perhaps she decided land prices weren't all that bad, after all, or she's making a bundle from sex.

Anyway, I'll keep on paying the prices until the time I decide I don't wish to do so any more.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, LaleaNeagra said:

Try again buddy. Is  what I said true? You haven't got a clue! That's the problem with people like you. You don't think much about things. Plus time has nothing to do with the truth. Or how long any avatar has been here.  A dumbass is a dumbass regardless of time. Think about that. While you figure out that I know more than that ***** no matter how long ago it was posted or how young my avatar is.

I think we can guess why you are using an alt 

😂

• Like 4

15 hours ago, LaleaNeagra said:

Try again buddy. Is  what I said true? You haven't got a clue! That's the problem with people like you. You don't think much about things. Plus time has nothing to do with the truth. Or how long any avatar has been here. 

No... 

On 1/5/2019 at 2:36 AM, LaleaNeagra said:

You can fully own your own home. You need to buy land and develop (buy a house, furniture, etc and sitck on it) it and it will be yours permanently.

If you stop paying Linden Lab that house will be history.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:
On 1/5/2019 at 12:36 AM, LaleaNeagra said:

You can fully own your own home. You need to buy land and develop (buy a house, furniture, etc and sitck on it) it and it will be yours permanently.

If you stop paying Linden Lab that house will be history.

Or if SL closes down for any reason.

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...

The home page of Second life advertises "explore and make friends".

I'm eleven years in SL. When I entered SL eleven years ago  I was stunned by the fantasy of the numerous sims...dislpaying beautiful garden, balloons ... exploration tours. 

Most of these places are not existent any longer, which is no surprising when you look at the incredible land prices.

If you really only want to live out your fantasy and create a sim out of fun..only for hobby... you don't pay 100 to 300 USD a month. That is simply insane. This Linden business behaviour resulted in a world which is - as RL - mainly business-oriented. And the main thing in SL which sells is sex. But also this adult-oriented business is on a declining path. I'm sad seeing SL is current dying. Mostly I enter deserted places . The world around me is more and more on sale. 

In my opinion SL can only be saved if Linden dramatically decreases its land prices so as to again attract people who only want to live out their creativity and fantasy without  any business purpose. This would also lead away from that adult oriented main focus of SL.

Save this game..... and remember..it's only a virtual game..not more!!!! business should not be the first focus! Linden could also charge depending on a turnover  made on a sim. Otherwise, SL is much too expensive for a game... So sorry...

Please do something Linden!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Do away with the Marketplace would help a lot for a back to the old Inworld fun I think. Many content creators closed their inworld shops one that opened up, saved the rental on land and removed them from worrying or setting up an in world shop/store... I am sure the Marketplace fees and resulting abandoned land were not really worth it. But so far they enjoy making SL into a trip to  Walmart or an Amazon shopping experience, generic and boring... Sure saves time, but all the time you saved is wasted elsewhere, so keep that time in SL with actual people looking IN Second Life hunting and searching for cool things and people to buy items from or just to visit..   

• Like 1

Oh, no. I don't want the marketplace to shut down; shopping in-world has a lot of benefits and a lot of downsides. Before my PC upgrade, inworld shopping was almost impossible to navigate. Anywhere with more than two or three avatars dropped the framerate deep into single digits - I've seen 3 before, and couldn't even move my avi. Some sims have so much high-poly decor on everything that even as the only avatar it was tough for the PC to deal with. A lot of people have trouble with high-traffic / poorly optimized regions, and using the MP cuts down on how much lag they have to push through to get a new pair of shoes or a tree for their yard.

Then when you want something ve4ry specific and don't already know where to find it, the MP will get you to it faster. Inworld, the majority of clothing creators have little to nothing that I'd want to buy; some of it is very nice quality but it's not a style my avi would want to wear (nor would I RL). MP has the same offerings, more or less, in a form that's much faster to search through and easier to filter. At the cost of being less immersive and needing a separate demo if you want to look before you buy.

Newer and limited offering creators also benefit more from the MP. Even if you only have 10 items, they show up in MP searches the same as any other regular listing that meets the search criteria. Inworld means most customers won't even bother looking.

There are good reasons to have both systems running parallel and not try to funnel everyone into one or the other.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2017 at 11:45 PM, Pamela Galli said:

First of all, most people know that taxes and insurance can be paid monthly as part of the mortgage payment, or yearly, ESP if you own your home outright. Second, most places the tax is most certainly on the home and land together.

Third, we have replied in our own posts not yours.. Do you mean the thread?

Fourth, the thread does not belong to you, anyone can post in it.

Fifth, what they said. If you can't afford something, don't buy it.

Sixth, see bolded.

Thank you, Pam!!!

• Like 1

I used to buy and sell mainland, but its not worth the trouble anymore.  I see a whole lot of land out there right now at L$0.4 / square meter, which is pretty cheap.  

"Buying" land in SL is a lot like adding another channel to your cable TV subscription.  Yeah, there's a recurring fee.  

• 11 months later...

What I find disheartening, is that land tiers for private regions have gone down (in 2020) to $295 USD per month with a $100 USD set up fee, but some people are charging upwards of $1,200 USD to purchase a second hand region, stating $600 USD transfer fee and $600 USD monthly tier, which is no longer accurate. Why would I pay $1,200 USD when I can be patient, and wait for LL to reopen the private region ordering pages to purchase my new region at 1/4 the price.

42 minutes ago, studmeister said:

What I find disheartening, is that land tiers for private regions have gone down (in 2020) to $295 USD per month with a $100 USD set up fee, but some people are charging upwards of $1,200 USD to purchase a second hand region, stating $600 USD transfer fee and $600 USD monthly tier, which is no longer accurate. Why would I pay $1,200 USD when I can be patient, and wait for LL to reopen the private region ordering pages to purchase my new region at 1/4 the price.

you'll see different prices asked, because not all regions are the same. The cheaper ones have the full monthly maintenance fee ( private regions have no tier) the more expensive ones are grandfathered regions, with higher transfer costs and lower maintenance fees.
With the current shortage of available regions, prices will rise, thats a normal market thing rare gets higher prices.

3 hours ago, studmeister said:

Those are bogus prices.

Existing regions have the same maintenance fees (not tier - that's for mainland) as new ones. Private regions never had a $600 maintenance fee. Going back to 2006 or so, the maintenance price for a full region was $195/month. It was raised to $295/month sometime later, but existing regions kept their $195/month fee (they were grandfathered in). If you buy one of those regions you can keep that monthly fee for a bigger upfront transfer fee.  Anyway, more recently the full region maintenance fee went to $247 (think that's it), and to the current $229/month. 

The transfer fee isn't set by the seller. It's what Linden Lab charges to do the transfer. It's $100 for a non-grandfathered region, $300 for a grandfathered region.

The sellers should be listing the correct transfer fee. If their current maintenance billing date is later than the transfer date, they can add in a prorated amount to cover the time that you'll have the region until you'll be billed. Otherwise you don't pay the monthly maintenance fee as part of the transfer. Basically these sellers are trying to pretend that it's LL that's making the excess dollars, not the sellers. It should be more like "We want $1100 plus the transfer fee of $100."

ETA: In case there are scammers listing regions for sale: A transfer is done by the seller submitting an Initiate Region Sale and the buyer submitting an Initiate Region Purchase case to Linden Lab. If the details agree between the two, Linden Lab will withdraw the amount (in Linden dollars) from your account, keep the transfer fee, and give the rest to the seller's account. The buyer does NOT pay the seller. Any buyer who requests that is a scammer.

Edited by Parhelion Palou
more to add to wall o' text
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.