Facelights, to wear or not to wear?

Maccaulay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SugarPutty Magic wrote:

99% of facelight users dont understand how bad they make the world look for others. If you have a high end pc and can run shadows Facelights show up like a mini sun making everyone around the wear'er washed out. People that tend to wash everyone out around them with their face lights, soon find themselves derenderd to a large portion of SL never to be seen again. So if your intent is to make it so others can see how beautiful you are and how you stand out from all the rest. You failed horribly. becouse you just got derended.

Exactly this! It's so rude and it happens so dang often that I am in a skin store and can't even preview the demo skins there because there's tons of people with nuclear intensity face light on that it washes the skin out so much at times I am completely white.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wear a bright light, you may go places where others will holler at you for tossing a spotlight all about.  As others have said, one can shut down the ability to 'see' facelight effects.  However, you have more power if you learn to use various WL settings to improve your view of YOUR SL world.

I use a gentle facelight for some photography only.  I used to wear a facelight all the time when I had a computer that was not intended for heavy graphics use.  I could not even see the effect of it but a builder friend called me 'spotlight'.

Anyway, do what you want.

You can yourself plaster with facelights until you and your environment are only a white blob. (that often happens if you have enhanced lighting on)

I have no problems, because I don't see it! (everyones facelights can easily be switched off in every viewer) I don't even need to mute you. (switches facelights off aswell) :D

Of course that means that this whole thread is absolutely obsolete. :D

Facelights are fine, as long as they are done correctly. They can be used to great effect to add a tint of color to an avatar. The issue with most facelights is that they have 2, 3, 5, 10 light sources and they are all set to be way to darn bright. Make yourself a prim, attach it to your chin, and play with the light settings. 

I agree though with most people. use windlight to get a good lighting effect and leave the FL at home.

Ren Toxx wrote:

/me grabs some popcorn and comfortably sits, waiting for the extremists in both camps to come and start snarling at each other

ETA: I'm on the facelight camp.

/me munches some popcorn while ducking the first incoming stone

Facelight3000.jpg

Not throwing stones, but be ready to grab a pair of sunglasses.  :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:  :smileywink:  :smileytongue: 

If you're wearing one to improve how you look to yourself, knock yourself out. If others don't like it they can turn it, or you, off.

If you're wearing it to improve how you look to others, you can't. It's not worth the effort to try. You can't control how they see you, in any way.

You will rarely, if ever, look the same to everyone around you as you do to yourself. That's because there are a million and one, and then some, ways a system can render, based on what we tell it to do. It's not even all up to what we choose in our preferences inworld either. How people have their computer set up can, and likely will, have an effect. So what looks fabulous to you can easily look hideous to someone else.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Your Facelight 3000 is kids stuff!  If you really want to shine you need the

(sadly the Facelight 3000 is no longer available on the Market Place.  It appears that  they creator has left SL)

WOW!  :smileysurprised:  :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

/me runs and gets the Megatron as long as they still have some in stock...  :matte-motes-big-grin:  :smileyvery-happy:

Megatron.jpg

... good to have that handy if there is a power failure and general blackout ... :smileytongue:

The problem with facelights isn't the amount of brightness one has, it's the amount of space around the person that's affected by the lights radius setting. Nobody will ever get angry if someone chooses to light themselves up like the sun if the only area that the light affects is the persons immediate personal space. It's when facelights have a large radius that their light affects other people around them and they get pissed off. If people choose NOT to be selfish and keep the light radius size small, then they can have all the brightness they like and not make instant enemies of other people in the area.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

OMG. How come I just had to discover this Megatron facelight now, after 6 years of walking around in the dark! TY TY TY for the tip, it sooo enhances my 1K LS skin and hair!

megatron.png

Pretty awesome!  Just perfect for any occasion.  :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:  :matte-motes-big-grin:  :smileywink: 

I prefer to use windlight settings instead of using facelights.

Set your sun position to 6:00pm sharp, and turn off local lights in your graphics preferences. Then adjust your sky and atmosphere as you like.

I honestly hate facelights because while it might make the person wearing it look good, it makes everyone else around them look like complete crap. Especially if they still have local lights turned on in their graphics but otherwise have a nice windlight setting going on-- Facelights tend to ruin it, casting ugly shadows on everyone else's avatars.

I have local lights turned off on mine so luckily I won't see it if people are wearing them but I'm pretty sure most people keep that setting on.

actually I think there majority of people have local lights of as most people have computers that can't handle it. Even some higher end computers (aka low end gaming computers) don't handle it so well. I know my computer doesn't like local lights (or sl's water) andso I keep it off. That said I think considering those who keep it on a little bit isn't out of the question and is something we should probably all do really.

I have advanced graphics turned off on my computer for much of the time, not because my computer can't handle it, but because I end up in a room where someone has a particularly bad facelight and it ruins the whole room for me.  Such faceights usually do not look too bad with adavanced graphics on.  But there is usally a bad one in any large crowd, so good graphics is usually unusable in a club.  

I do know that not all facelights are that bad.  I got a bunch one time and tried them with/without advanced graphics on.  Some of them worked quite nicely with high end graphics, but most of them were *garish* and lit up a large area all around me, just my face.Sadly, some peope's computers do not support the advanced rendering at all, so they cant have a look for themselves.

I have attached lights turned off in my viewer, because many many people,especially those with low graphics settings  wear so called facelights that shine like a supernova. What might look  'good' on low graphics settings usually looks  horribly overlighted in higher settings.

Jeannie

Jean Horten wrote:

What might look  'good' on low graphics settings usually looks  horribly overlighted in higher settings.

Jeannie

Very true.  Also lots of local lights on builds look extremely bright when "Advanced Lighting Model" is on.  Everybody should go and check how their stuff looks with Advanced Lighting Model on in their viewer.

When the materials feature is release a growing number of people will keep Advanced Lighting Model on (as that is required to see the effects of the materials).

I love this supadupa facelight. It's very simple and not obtrusive at all. Much subtler than the Megatron and fits in every lady's purse. Not that I'm wearing it every day but for photos it's just ideal dontcha think?

FACELIGHT_001.jpg

And why turn off local lights? Can use them as facelights as well:

light.jpg

Facelights are a must have especially for ladies, you can see the difference when you wear one they really make your face so amazingly smooth and beautiful, i dont think the guys need worry though unless theyre really bothered about how smooth and flawless their face looks. But the ladies look stunning, and i'm not talking about the bright light ones, there is a facelight called a glamour facelight and that is perfect, and it doesn't seem to light up everyone else its just a gentle one. The gentle ones are the best, but the too bright ones are a no no :matte-motes-sour: there is windlight settings of course but if you want others to see your beauty you need something everyone can see, not just on your screen, not everyone has their windlight setting adjusted to make avi faces look nice.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.