Linden promoting primfeed

11 minutes ago, Honey Puddles said:

Given the historical problems with SL users getting banned from facebook for pseudonyms, it would seem to be a non-starter to make use of any Meta property. Not to mention the whole "technically a competitor' thing.

That reminds me (tangentially)… both (Meta's) Threads and Mastodon are at least minimally ActivityPub / Fediverse compatible. That's all currently disappointing, but still I idly wonder if Primfeed has any such compatibility at all.

I mean, I can't be bothered with any of it. Twitter was fun back in the day. After the melon bought and de𝕏troyed it, I created a Mastodon account somewhere at some point and found it useless and no longer remember what identity I used for the experiment. I kinda enjoyed Post.news but knew it was doomed from the start. At this point, although I hate social networks substantially less than I despise Discord, still: no thanks. Y'all have your fun there but until it's full of indispensable content, I'll sit this one out.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Platform growth is not achieved by being insular.

15 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Maybe the problem is nobody has anything better to share than politics because nobody actually does anything interesting themselves.

• Confused 1

Oh did try PF but as I have 'do not save login details on anything ever' sort of didn't bother going back. Watched how it was doing for a while over at Hamlet but meh.
Now I like Mastodon but Coffee there is right. The only reason I went there was because a place I used to be engaged in * went to substack that I do not trust (because - reasons) that started a Mastodon server. It is a place that 'needs thinking' but then I get to read and interact with interesting people. OK its a few coders, some fab game asset makers and - cooking. And also people I used to talk with. Also SL has a presence.
Finding owt there is a thing that needs engaging brain - so not for SM users.

Mind you 'Fediverse' has to be the worst name ever.

*obligatory thing here

I may have come late to this

Mastodon? Seriously?

No.

Frankly things need to be less reliant/connected to so called Social Media.

Now if someone could kindly come up with a replacement for Snapzilla ... Maybe this is it, who knows. May give it a whirl.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Frankly things need to be less reliant/connected to so called Social Media.

I get it, the early internet was better.

We had Usenet and ICQ and everything neat and in it's place, search engines were king and actually good.

The modern internet IS social media. They won. They own it all. Participation is unavoidable.

You , personally, can chose to opt out. That's fine, there are only minimal real world consequences at this point (unless you're seeking employment, in which case no social media can mean no interview).

Linden and Second Life as a platform can not. Social media is the only engine for platform growth we have and we're failing miserably to play the game correctly and to our strengths.

So .. if we must. Lets do so in a way that plays to our strengths, puts us in a place with others who would appreciate what SL offers and isn't hiding under a rock watching Alf reruns.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

So .. if we must. Lets do so in a way that plays to our strengths, puts us in a place with others who would appreciate what SL offers and isn't hiding under a rock watching Alf reruns.

So..support your local SPAM advertiser on PrimFeed because it helps Second Life.

I am convinced suddenly, and will give PrimFeed another try.  No, but seriously, someone (Scylla?) reminded me that I don't HAVE to see all the spam, that was just from using a feed that wasn't who I "follow". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps Linden was just happy to see that second life is still alive.  If all those people posting pics have to be online to get their log in code SL it shows how vibrant SL is.   The fact that so many people signed up so fast in the middle of summer holidays also shows SL is quite lively and people are very sick of Flickr's bossiness.  Flickr has become such a low-quality photo place with photos of basic people now since Primfeed opened up.  So many groups are closed its almost unusable.  Seriously considering giving up my Flickr PRO Account.  However, i am worried about what happens when Primfeed runs out of server space to store photos, someone has to pay for all that photo storage.  (Just like Flickr turned into a**holes once they had everyone hooked.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So..support your local SPAM advertiser on PrimFeed because it helps Second Life.

I am convinced suddenly, and will give PrimFeed another try.  No, but seriously, someone (Scylla?) reminded me that I don't HAVE to see all the spam, that was just from using a feed that wasn't who I "follow". 

Is it a bit of a walled garden? Yeah…but it’s a pretty garden I don’t mind hanging out in for a long time. 
Primfeed makes it really easy to get your ‘dose’ of SL, but I think it could be really sucky if you didn’t follow some rules. For what it’s worth, this is how I use mine & why:

1. I don’t do ‘follow for follow’ - I follow the people and brands I actually wanna see on a daily basis (otherwise it’s just endless ads over and over).

2. I turned ‘adult’ and ‘adult +’ off in my general settings. I still see my fair share of adult images, but it isn’t constant p0rn all the time when I look at the Gallery and Discovery feeds. 

3. When I look at the Gallery, I turn off ‘commercial’ - Cause I’m just there for the pretty pictures. (But it’s cool that you can toggle ON commercial if you want to look at stuff to buy!) 

4. The Discovery Feed has a ‘text only’ option, which has been fun finding other people that want to use it as a chatty type of SM. 

5. I report posts that use the Gallery incorrectly - like promoting an event or not tagging their images correctly. I hope other people do, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Some valid concerns have been raised here. As far as exposure to the world population, that's a persistent problem for LL Marketing. As far as privacy goes, I'm truly not concerned so far. If my privacy gets violated, I'll be one of the first to come here and complain and go to LL. I've had fun posting my own silly pics so far, for other residents. So far a good experience. Not for everyone but enough fun for me. YMMV. Ciao !

Steph

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Flickr has become such a low-quality photo place with photos of basic people now

Not sure about that. It really depends on who you follow obviously. There’s hundreds of high quality creatives + creators still going great on Flickr with high engagement which has been great. 

• Like 4

Primfeed was intended to be a platform for bloggers picture posters and advertisers, to drive sales. And it appears to have grown substantially over the past months, to a point that even Linden Lab took notice.

If it grows and if it boosts sales, then it wouldn't be stupid and self-defeating, I would say.

So, Coffee, where do you get your data that it's not growing and not boosting sales?

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Primfeed was intended to be a platform for bloggers picture posters and advertisers, to drive sales. And it appears to have grown substantially over the past months, to a point that even Linden Lab took notice.

If it grows and if it boosts sales, then it wouldn't be stupid and self-defeating, I would say.

So, Coffee, where do you get your data that it's not growing and not boosting sales?

It has definitely grown, and Luke has published figures to back that up (which, of course, are unverifiable, but it should be clear to anyone using it that it's become much more popular).

I'm obviously not positioned to speak in quantitative terms about "boosting sales," but SL merchants and creators have swarmed to it, and I've noticed in ads and in-world notices that they are frequently linking to Primfeed rather than, as they once did, Flickr. Creators seem to think it's a good thing, anyway.

None of this means its accomplishing what Coffee thinks it should be doing, but it certainly is accomplishing something that residents and merchants think worthwhile.

• Like 5

I'm still waiting  it out for a year or maybe more to give it time to get it's kinks worked out.. Then I might give it a try.

I'm really more or less trying to eliminate accounts on the internet  rather than making more of them..

• Like 4

Right now, Primfeed is my only 'social media' thing beyond reading and commenting on blogs and occasionally blogging myself. (Okay, there's also Nextdoor, but I only occasionally go there, and I'm seriously considering nuking that account because frankly I don't see the point...)

Is Primfeed perfect? No. Is it good enough for most folks? Seems so. Personally, I skip over a lot of the advertising & promotional stuff, I'm much more interested in the artistic side and finding inspiration from what others are doing & making. 🙂

A lot of the good that has come from Second Life (and yes, some of the bad too) has been the result of Residents coming together and doing their own things, not waiting for the Lab to do it. I see Luke's work here as one of the good things that has sprung from Second Life, and more power to him!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

That's an awesome question.  I always assume people don't have data and merely make up things based on their opinions.  I will eagerly check the thread for the discussion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

None of this means its accomplishing what Coffee thinks it should be doing, but it certainly is accomplishing something that residents and merchants think worthwhile.

When I saw the sheer variety of posts (even if most were noods and still many ads) yesterday upon a "re-look", and that the posts were ALL by people 1) I did not recognize and 2) who would never have posted on the Forums, I realized that it is reaching a larger audience.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

When I saw the sheer variety of posts (even if most were noods and still many ads) yesterday upon a "re-look", and that the posts were ALL by people 1) I did not recognize and 2) who would never have posted on the Forums, I realized that it is reaching a larger audience.

I like the filtering on primfeed. Seems to work for the most part. My default is to show all posts but sometimes I'll limit what I view to General and Moderate.

I hope it stays a while. I already like it more than Flickr, which is better suited to RL photography IMO.

• Like 4

Just now, JeromFranzic said:

I like the filtering on primfeed. Seems to work for the most part. My default is to show all posts but sometimes I'll limit what I view to General and Moderate.

I hope it stays a while. I already like it more than Flickr, which is better suited to RL photography IMO.

I want to play with searching for "tags" / topics, etc. as the "random general feed" is annoying after just a few pages of noods.  I was indeed surprised how many of the pictures were AI. I saw someone ask "is that allowed" because they were annoyed lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, discussionbot said:

Not sure about that. It really depends on who you follow obviously. There’s hundreds of high quality creatives + creators still going great on Flickr with high engagement which has been great. 

I was wondering who are considered "basic" people.  People who don't have a store?  People who don't blog?  People who don't photoshop?  

Mostly, the people I follow are basic.  I get a handful of friend requests from bloggers every month.  I ignore all of those.  I want to see basic people's photos and not commercial activity.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I want to play with searching for "tags" / topics, etc. as the "random general feed" is annoying after just a few pages of noods.  I was indeed surprised how many of the pictures were AI. I saw someone ask "is that allowed" because they were annoyed lol.

I saw that too. I also saw that the mods said it wasn’t allowed and the guys profile was removed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1