Discuss or Comments about Child, Adult, Can't Tell Thread

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ok @Blush Bravin, finally checking your first pic for "why I responded how I did".  I still do not quite understand, is it "ok" that I used all the criteria above - or was it the intent for us to "ignore everything but the body shape, skin, etc." (not clothing, hair, pose..)? 🙂

Here are the pictures in question:

Here's why I judged you as "possibly under 18":

1. Face. As several said, the eyes are drawn to the face.

Your face is very young-looking and 'flawless' in a specific way that makes me thing "young" when I look at it "out of context" with anything else in the picture. This is a little more evident in the second picture, where your face is more closeup. (I almost thought it wasn't in shadow in the second pic, but yes it is.)

2. Hairstyle - not really one way or the other. It's not exactly the "very young looking pigtails" that I brought up earlier (even if it IS pigtails), however it is a "youthful" way to "updo" hair.   Who knows, maybe my eyes saw that hair and thought, "YOUNG".  

It's not hair you'd expect to see on someone in the 1950's, or someone in their 50's.  Have you seen all the web articles / videos pointing out that people "looked older" back in the 1950's partly because we associate the hairstyles they used with "an older look"?  Your hair ain't that!

3. Makeup - You do NOT have much obvious makeup on; so to my untrained eye, that looks more "realistically young".  Whereas, on some young people they wear makeup to look older, and on some older people they wear makeup because "they are expected to" (in order to meet some "beauty standards") - because your face shines with a youthful beauty WITHOUT a lot of "makeup", that gives it the feeling of "actual youth".

4. Clothing - Whereas jeans are pretty universal, those are almost "bell bottoms", favored more by today's youth. But your "halter top" (I'll call it that) is DEFINITELY a style mostly favored by younger women.  In the 1970's, women would have worn that top whether or not they are "sagging"; you aren't sagging!

I also spent some time with "hippy friends" in the mid-90's, the women would wear similar tops. They were in their very early 20's.

5. Pose / Body stance.  Now, this isn't exactly fair, as not everyone intentionally chooses a pose to reflect something as subtle / non-subtle as age.  But I see your pose / stance as somewhat generic or ambiguous, so it doesn't really contribute to anything I would think.

6. Tattoos - Very simple small tattoos that evoke a "simpler period"; the type of tattoos I'd expect to see more on a young person.  (I almost missed this altogether, so it's not that big a deal.)

7. Pose / Gaze - You are looking directly at the camera - apparently without any specific facial animation. 

Some people, like @Scylla Rhiadra, often wear some almost "trademark" facial animation (Scylla often has a 'slight grin').  Your lack of that, combined with your other facial attributes - to me, makes your face look more "open and youthful", especially as you gaze "straight on" at the camera.

So, "under 18"? Now that I've gone through it all, I'd say.. "maybe 18-19"!

See? That was worth it! I hope you were able to get through my explanation.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Thanks,

Love

Thanks for taking the time to be so specific! I appreciate it.

1. I actually use crowsfeet wrinkles to age my eyes a bit. I've always had a full rather youthful face RL so yes, you're probably right. But again, when I was in my late 40s my husband who was a year younger than me was asked if he was my father. So, since I do use myself as a reference my face has a rounder more youthful appearance, again I get it.

2. I was born in 1953. I've worn pigtails RL most of my life. I wore them frequently through my teens and well into my 30s. :) 

3. My mother taught me if you can tell someone is wearing makeup then they are wearing too much makeup. LOL .. guess it stuck more than I realized; however, my avie is wearing eyeshadow, blusher, and lip gloss. 

4. OMG .. my generation made hip hugger bell bottoms famous. What's the saying, 'what goes around comes around'? Bell bottoms are making a come back is all. 

6. I made my tattoos .. mostly, I think I wear one or two that I purchased. I don't swap them out. Once I start wearing one it stays; I've added more and more over time and will continue to add more. Simpler yes, or maybe just that I've not finished the process. 

7. Photography is not my forte in SL. I don't use specific poses for photos. I just use whatever my AO does. Since reading a post by Strawberry saying closeups are better if you're looking into the camera I've tried to follow that advice.

I appreciate your feedback, but I don't think I'm willing to give up what in essence is really me RL. Again, thank you for your thoughtful response.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Theresa Ravenheart said:

Thanks for the feedback, and I totally get the oversized chest thing, but she's a cow so for her I like it. And thank you! ❤️ 

Very welcome! Though now that I know you're going for a cow/human mix, the chest makes perfect sense. Ignore everything I said about that (and what I said about your face, too, honestly). It all works when taken in context. Don't even ASK me how I missed the ears and the cute tag, LOL.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I've noticed that a lot of the confused reactions are on younger avatars. Not necessarily under 18 to me but just younger.  It could be a generational thing.  I have a hard time picking out under 18 nowadays but when I was that age - not that hard.

Here in NL supermarkets may on;y sell alcoholic beverages to 18+ people. But because it is so hard to tell supermarkets ask people to show their ID when someone looks under 25 years old.
Starting from 14 up it gets harder and harder to tell the exact age only by the looks. Some look younger, some older.
Now when those youngsters start to talk it is way easier. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Theresa Ravenheart said:

I'm super curious about the people that left confused replies to my post, I received mostly 18 and over replies but the 5 confused people let me confused. I would love to hear what confused you, so that I can make things more clear. In that photo I'm wearing an adult body (with adult proportions), adult head, adult skin. and I even have some wrinkles, mostly smile, nose, and crows feet (which don't show much due to my makeup and hair). In what ways do I need to make my adulthood more clear? 

For me, it was the size.and spacing on the eyes along with the mouth/expression.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Thanks for taking the time to be so specific! I appreciate it.

1. I actually use crowsfeet wrinkles to age my eyes a bit. I've always had a full rather youthful face RL so yes, you're probably right. But again, when I was in my late 40s my husband who was a year younger than me was asked if he was my father. So, since I do use myself as a reference my face has a rounder more youthful appearance, again I get it.

2. I was born in 1953. I've worn pigtails RL most of my life. I wore them frequently through my teens and well into my 30s. :) 

3. My mother taught me if you can tell someone is wearing makeup then they are wearing too much makeup. LOL .. guess it stuck more than I realized; however, my avie is wearing eyeshadow, blusher, and lip gloss. 

4. OMG .. my generation made hip hugger bell bottoms famous. What's the saying, 'what goes around comes around'? Bell bottoms are making a come back is all. 

6. I made my tattoos .. mostly, I think I wear one or two that I purchased. I don't swap them out. Once I start wearing one it stays; I've added more and more over time and will continue to add more. Simpler yes, or maybe just that I've not finished the process. 

7. Photography is not my forte in SL. I don't use specific poses for photos. I just use whatever my AO does. Since reading a post by Strawberry saying closeups are better if you're looking into the camera I've tried to follow that advice.

I appreciate your feedback, but I don't think I'm willing to give up what in essence is really me RL. Again, thank you for your thoughtful response.

You're welcome!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think and hope, that while WE may have used "confused" (for "not sure"), Gov'nance will take other things into account and as often as not, "err on the side of not a child".

I'm hoping for the same but would wish Governance would tell us what other things they would take into consideration. Hopefully that will have been expanded on during the meeting but since it was full, we'll have to wait for someone to post the chatlog of it. 

Posted (edited)

Here is a picture of a RL sporter.
Luke Littler is a professional top 10 dart player, runner up in the last world championship tournament.

2W9F5T7-scaled.jpg

How old?

Barely 17 years.
Starting at the age of 14 it is harder and harder to tell, just going by the looks.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, Theresa Ravenheart said:

I'm super curious about the people that left confused replies to my post, I received mostly 18 and over replies but the 5 confused people let me confused. I would love to hear what confused you, so that I can make things more clear. In that photo I'm wearing an adult body (with adult proportions), adult head, adult skin. and I even have some wrinkles, mostly smile, nose, and crows feet (which don't show much due to my makeup and hair). In what ways do I need to make my adulthood more clear? 

It was the size of your eyes in comparison to nose and mouth and the very close proximity of nose/mouth to the eyes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm hoping for the same but would wish Governance would tell us what other things they would take into consideration. Hopefully that will have been expanded on during the meeting but since it was full, we'll have to wait for someone to post the chatlog of it. 

Pantera's video has been posted to YouTube already, if you want to take a look at it. The meeting wasn't in voice, though, soooooo...gotta read the screen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Pantera's video has been posted to YouTube already, if you want to take a look at it. The meeting wasn't in voice, though, soooooo...gotta read the screen.

I did ask Coffee to get log the chat so hoping she has and posts it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well they already did.   They are not going to get as specific as you want them to (hips must be at least slider 40, etc)

They are being vague, yet specific  on purpose. So they have room to tie it all together and take action if needed. 

Even in the governance announcement for the meeting they said "what the modest panel MAY look like"

11 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Here is a picture of a RL sporter.
Luke Littler is a professional top 10 dart player, runner up in the last world championship tournament.

2W9F5T7-scaled.jpg

How old?

Barely 17 years.

LOL, I was going to say 35

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Do you have a link because I have no clue who Pantera is.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Theresa Ravenheart said:

Remember, "confused" does not mean confused in that thread.  It means "cannot decide".  If someone clicks that emoji, she's saying simply that she's having a hard time telling whether the av is presenting as a teen or an adult.  Any of the responses are personal judgments, reflecting factors that we may have a hard time putting into words. As you remarked, wrinkles don't show very well if you have makeup and are really hard to see unless you are pretty close to someone, so they may not even register for some evaluators. On balance, most people saw your av as an adult and nobody saw her definitely as a minor, so I don't think you have anything to fret about.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I really just wanted to know whether my girl would be A-region safe, given that she's wearing the Genesis Teen head. It seems as long as she keeps troweling on the blusher she should be fine.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

For me, it was the size.and spacing on the eyes along with the mouth/expression.

I have a hybrid avatar, she's cow and human, the eyes are that size/shape/spacing on purpose, to have an animal blank wide-eye stare, but I understand your feedback. And the mouth expression is just one of the built in LeLutka animations, it just randomly fell on that when I took the picture. Thanks for the feedback.

2 hours ago, Theresa Ravenheart said:

Thanks for the feedback, and I totally get the oversized chest thing, but she's a cow so for her I like it. And she does fall out of the just human territory so it does make it harder, I only have a few fully human avatars but they never see the light of day anymore lol.  And thank you! ❤️ 

She does look like an adult cow. 🐄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There is one posted on the reddit thread .. I'm not sure it can be posted here.  although honestly, you might as well watch the video and read all the chat

That was painful to watch and they totally ignored Coffee on her repeated questions about Maitreya.  Wish we had a definite answer to that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1