Discuss or Comments about Child, Adult, Can't Tell Thread

22 minutes ago, Lexxi Gynoid said:

Yeah, and it doesn't help 'learn' how to tell people's age when they can and do have full grown adults play teenagers in films and tv shows. And occasionally mix full age adults with kid actors playing the same age in the same film/tv show. Occasionally it is not easy to tell which specific individual actor is 25 and which is 15. And they are both playing 18 year olds. 

I mean, we could probably have a thread of RL actors playing kids and ask "adult actor or kid actor" and find 'interesting results'.

Child actors are generally cast because they look younger than their chronological age; most of the time, an older kid will be able to work longer hours and be better at taking direction than a child the same age as the character. So it would be unusual for a 15 year old to be playing an 18 year old in a professional context, though certainly not impossible (say, if they were a mature-looking nepo baby).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

If it's needed for Maitreya, then it should be needed for all adult female body creators/brands. No exclusion, no buts. But then be proud of yourself that SL will turn into a virtual wasteland.

There is absolutely zero chance that standard adult mesh bodies for women OR men are going to be de-sexified because of this.

Why on earth would you think so? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Hate to tell you, but since the lifespan of a frog is anywhere between 4 and 15 years, you're going to be wearing that modesty layer 'til the day you die. 😅

LMAO. That's so true! 😂 Thankfully, some outfits come with their own built-in modesty bra!

Ya'll Better Move

6 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

The issue of modesty layers is definitely going to cause some people issues but lets not forget anyone who has to worry about those should also be concerned about visiting any adult sim or venturing onto any moderate sim without knowing exactly what they'll encounter.

This is actually the main reason why I've been paying attention to this whole thing. The moderate/adult land component makes it tricky since older teens are included in the ban and some stores I shop at are located in Adult, probably. Yes, everything I create is very adult, but how does anyone else know that when I'm almost never running around as a human? Are we seriously asking people (and Governance) to judge the age of non-human fantasy and furry avatars now?  Like, how old is this?

Fries Before Guys

This?

I don't think you're ready for this thing

No, they don't need layers, and I've never been banned from anywhere for rocking looks like that ever, but we clearly see in the photo thread that people can't tell when humans are teens or adult. Good luck with the furries who may get up to more than just standing around looking glamorous and shopping in adult regions, lol.

• Like 4

Adult skin creators should seriously consider making skins with the baked in modesty layers for people using their bodies to roleplay teens. I don't roleplay that age myself, but if I were a roleplaying a sixteen or seventeen year old, I wouldn't want to look like an 11 year old girl. If roleplayers in the 15-17 age group can't use adult bodies due to lack of TOS compliant skins, they'll have to use child avatars, which would make them appear much younger, especially considering the lack of age appropriate attire available.

2 minutes ago, Sadvhi said:

Adult skin creators should seriously consider making skins with the baked in modesty layers for people using their bodies to roleplay teens.

I would be surprised if the main brands weren't already working on it. Who wouldn't want the extra sales?

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

LMAO. That's so true! 😂 Thankfully, some outfits come with their own built-in modesty bra!

Ya'll Better Move

This is actually the main reason why I've been paying attention to this whole thing. The moderate/adult land component makes it tricky since older teens are included in the ban and some stores I shop at are located in Adult, probably. Yes, everything I create is very adult, but how does anyone else know that when I'm almost never running around as a human? Are we seriously asking people (and Governance) to judge the age of non-human fantasy and furry avatars now?  Like, how old is this?

Fries Before Guys

This?

I don't think you're ready for this thing

No, they don't need layers, and I've never been banned from anywhere for rocking looks like that ever, but we clearly see in the photo thread that people can't tell when humans are teens or adult. Good luck with the furries who may get up to more than just standing around looking glamorous and shopping in adult regions, lol.

Those all look 18+ anyway 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sadvhi said:

Adult skin creators should seriously consider making skins with the baked in modesty layers for people using their bodies to roleplay teens. I don't roleplay that age myself, but if I were a roleplaying a sixteen or seventeen year old, I wouldn't want to look like an 11 year old girl. If roleplayers in the 15-17 age group can't use adult bodies due to lack of TOS compliant skins, they'll have to use child avatars, which would make them appear much younger, especially considering the lack of age appropriate attire available.

I mentioned it way way back in one of those other threads.   Velour is one of the most used body skins AFAIK.  If they were to add a ToS compliant option to their current skin lines as a system skin (not tattoo layer), they could probably make a killing.  Making one for the 13-17 crowd, with a bit less definition overall?  If I were Velour, I'd be getting one out ASAP

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I mentioned it way way back in one of those other threads.   Velour is one of the most used body skins AFAIK.  If they were to add a ToS compliant option to their current skin lines as a system skin (not tattoo layer), they could probably make a killing.  Making one for the 13-17 crowd, with a bit less definition overall?  If I were Velour, I'd be getting one out ASAP

I think this likely will happen, but it does leave unresolved the issue of genital definition on the actual mesh of bodies like Maitreya and Reborn.

That said, LL has not that i know of yet identified this as a problem. Nor have they required that nipples be removed from mesh: they just need to be covered.

So maybe this is a non-issue, and represents a more literal and stringent application of the spirit of the rules than LL itself intends?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think this likely will happen, but it does leave unresolved the issue of genital definition on the actual mesh of bodies like Maitreya and Reborn.

Maitreya requires the use of one of the onion layers, if I remember correctly, to smooth out that area.  I wonder if a locked version of something like that would be easier for Maitreya if they choose to be concerned about it.  With Reborn, it's entirely handled by the HUD.  Although not many people would probably be using that one for an under 18 avatar, it's possible.  Again, a version with those parts permanently enabled might be easier than reworking the entire mesh.   It can break some content in those areas but not as much as having to start from scratch with a brand new ToS compliant body with NO content.

As an example...my Reborn Without the smoothing enabled...https://gyazo.com/34f8130d2e551297332154baaad047db

And With smoothing enabled...https://gyazo.com/aa726c5ad31821f36cd0500357c59d77

Would this be sufficient?  I admit, I don't know the technical side of it but if currently used bodies had the smoothing option build in, as in not able to be turned OFF and the under 18 avatar wore a compliant skin, that would seem to be acceptable.

I'd like to know if body creators could do this easily and if so, would they?  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You can bet they will.. hehehe

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Maitreya requires the use of one of the onion layers, if I remember correctly, to smooth out that area. 

Close... it's an add-on "BOM compatibility something-or-other" piece. It would be a lot easier if they'd just fuse in into the main body and allow it to be turned on and off with the HUD like most other bodies. Buuutttt they didn't.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Close... it's an add-on "BOM compatibility something-or-other" piece. It would be a lot easier if they'd just fuse in into the main body and allow it to be turned on and off with the HUD like most other bodies. Buuutttt they didn't.

That would be a nice feature for Bom clothing, while not taking up an attachment slot. :)

• Like 4

I used the darker versions of the aging layers I use from Izzie hoping that it will age my avie past being confused for a teenager. So hoping third time is a charm. But if not I think I'm past the point of trying to make sure no one is confused. 

I just came from shopping for FLF and found myself in the middle of such a wide variance of appearance I just give up.

shopping.thumb.jpg.a69eb297fd2b8caba55911bc67284e92.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

That's what I went on to say.  That layer permanently attached to the base Maitreya with the smoothing ON.  With Reborn, simply a body without the HUD option to turn it off.    No reworking the underlying mesh of either body needed.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

If it's needed for Maitreya, then it should be needed for all adult female body creators/brands. No exclusion, no buts. But then be proud of yourself that SL will turn into a virtual wasteland.

Why would it be a wasteland?  Almost everyone using any of those bodies are adult and keep on as normal.  If Maitreya or any other brand sees a reason (like profit) in making child compatible bodies, then they will.  This won't affect anyone but those wanting to make child avatars.

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Why would you fuse it and have it controlled with a hud?  I like having a separate items I can attach, have textured the way I want, and saved as part of an outfit so it can just swap out, no HUD or anything needed. So much easier to swap outfits with push of a button in outfits.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Aya Sweetheart said:

Why would you fuse it and have it controlled with a hud?  I like having a separate items I can attach, have textured the way I want, and saved as part of an outfit so it can just swap out, no HUD or anything needed. So much easier to swap outfits with push of a button in outfits.

In general, yes, I agree with you. In specifics with the Maitreya whatsit? Long story short - it just doesn't work that well with outfits. If you try to attach a body that had been set up with it without having it attached, the body will have holes that will only be repaired if you attach the whatsit and then detach it. And it even has its own mini-hud just to control the whatsit.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aya Sweetheart said:

Right now, with Reborn, I can do everything you do with Maitreya with out having to add yet more attachments.  I can tint any BOM clothing, add BoM layers, all of it.  I can also smooth the genital area from the HUD if needed.  

Why Maitreya still has all those layers is beyond silly to me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

In general, yes, I agree with you. In specifics with the Maitreya whatsit? Long story short - it just doesn't work that well with outfits. If you try to attach a body that had been set up with it without having it attached, the body will have holes that will only be repaired if you attach the whatsit and then detach it. And it even has its own mini-hud just to control the whatsit.

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Right now, with Reborn, I can do everything you do with Maitreya with out having to add yet more attachments.  I can tint any BOM clothing, add BoM layers, all of it.  I can also smooth the genital area from the HUD if needed.  

Why Maitreya still has all those layers is beyond silly to me.

Guess I don't understand the problem then... I've never ran into any issues at all and its super simple and I never have to manually adjust anything once its saved for hundreds of outfits.  Its fine though, everyone does things different ways.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Aya Sweetheart said:

Guess I don't understand the problem then... I've never ran into any issues at all and its super simple and I never have to manually adjust anything once its saved for hundreds of outfits.  Its fine though, everyone does things different ways.

One issue with using the extra layer for smoothing the groin, and other parts of the body, is that if you keep it on and wear mesh clothing it quite often pokes through the mesh. I can't keep my panties smooth and also wear some mesh clothing because the layer that is doing the smoothing contains the skin and any BOM system layers you are wearing. I'm pretty sure, I could be wrong, but pretty sure even alpha cuts don't work on that BOM add-on layer that does the smoothing. So in this case, a teen using that layer to smooth the camels toe would have to remove it when wearing certain mesh clothing. I've even had to remove it when wearing skirts because it poked ever so slightly, but still obvious, through the front of the skirt. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Aya Sweetheart said:

We're speaking to those who use adult bodies who want to be compliant with the new rules which won't allow a body to have any definition of genitals.  I can easily do that from the HUD so if the body had a version with that area permanently smoothed and wore a compliant skin, I could still wear all my clothing.  The body creator would be able to sell the ToS compliant body as well as the regular version.

I don't know if you've ever tried Reborn but I showed pics of the difference between BoM switched on and off from the HUD.  Maitreya doesn't do that without adding separate attachments.

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

As an example...my Reborn Without the smoothing enabled...https://gyazo.com/34f8130d2e551297332154baaad047db

And With smoothing enabled...https://gyazo.com/aa726c5ad31821f36cd0500357c59d77

27 minutes ago, Aya Sweetheart said:

Why would it be a wasteland?  Almost everyone using any of those bodies are adult and keep on as normal.  If Maitreya or any other brand sees a reason (like profit) in making child compatible bodies, then they will.  This won't affect anyone but those wanting to make child avatars.

You say it correctly: IF. But they don't have to.

If they decide not to, there's going to be a lot of 17 year olds running around looking like 11 year olds, wearing childish clothes which won't be ideal considering what the TOS is aiming to curtail.

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

With Reborn, it's entirely handled by the HUD.  Although not many people would probably be using that one for an under 18 avatar, it's possible.

I saw one yesterday. I wondered if maybe she'd got it confused with Rebirth.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sadvhi said:

If they decide not to, there's going to be a lot of 17 year olds running around looking like 11 year olds, wearing childish clothes which won't be ideal considering what the TOS is aiming to curtail.

Is that an issue for all those that are creating adult bodies and skins? If you decide to run nekkid around like a child with an adult body and a childlike skin on it in an A-rated sim, and you run into the verbal "lightbulb" (as they call it in my language for being caught red handed), that's your fault and not the creator of the adult body nor the skin creator. It's the danged sickening disease of nowadays ... shuffing your own responsibility into the necks of those that nothing have to do with it.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1