My alt accounts are my imaginary friends/allies/acquiantances/enemies/etc.!

29 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Sid Nagy started as an alt too.
The original main account was closed together with a bunch of further never developed alts last year. No use to have a museum of unused accounts IMHO.

A very brave thing to do! I don’t think I could do it somehow :/ 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Who can even afford alts?

Seriously, I considered it once but then I thought of just how expensive it would be. Unrealistic!

It's not too bad really if you don't go too crazy with shopping for them all at the same time..

I have three premium accounts, which I pay annually for those at different times of the year.. I might get 10k in lindens on the weekends sometimes more.. then just either spend it on one or if there is something I think all three need that I find maybe in a sale, I'll spread  it around.. But I have a limit on how much lindens I'll spend each week..

Each has their own linden home, plus I have my 1/4 sim which i spend most of my time at..

I don't use all of them all the time.. Just when I feel like bouncing to one of them I do, to kind of break up the monotony of being on one account for so long..

When I made my alts, it was more or less just checking out the start areas again to see how much those have changed.. Then later just started to use them.. I never really made them  just to have another alt..

But it's not really too expensive if you don't go too crazy in getting lindens and the sales and finding deals can get you pretty far..

I do have my splurge moments though too at times.. heheh

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Seriously, I considered it once but then I thought of just how expensive it would be. Unrealistic!

The two alts I have, have totally no extra inventory other than one outfit. One is a gnome and the other a minion. :D

They both have a very specific task and are never used to participate any further in SL. They only show up on my working platform if needed.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

This is the profile on one of my female testing alts, who occasionally gets taken out for some freebies at an event:

Yes I'm an alt, and I have no shoes.

Deal with it. I have to. Or buy me shoes because my owner is too mean to.

ohhh... please may I come home with *you* instead??? I'll be good and I don't eat much, I promise!     Do you have pizza? or *lasagne*?

• Haha 9

I thought I had two alts; I logged in from a really old laptop a few months ago and realized I had a third one when its username showed up in my login screen. I eventually remembered creating the first one as a noob because I misunderstood something about land groups and thought I needed a group to rez anything on mainland, so I made a group consisting only of me and this alt. I eventually sold the group to a friend and forgot the alt was there lol.

As for the two I remembered: Both are sometimes NPCs in roleplaying. The male one I use to model men's clothes. (The female one I use less often for modeling, because my main looks better; Ms. Alt has a free body. I really only break her out for modeling if I want three people to be in the picture.) I also sometimes log in as one or the other if I want to go look at something inworld but don't want to chat. Mr. Alt also has the advantage that he gets a lot fewer come-ons.

Their wardrobes are mostly gifts plus stuff I've made.

Edited by Psyche Starling
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Not at all, especially if it's a female and you're willing to wait for a mesh head.

1. Get the LucyBody Atenea from their MM board, then pay $L 25O for the BOM applier. For a male alt, I'd suggest the DNA mesh bodies and skins for about $L 5 total. (If you're willing to pay more, get the Maitreya body when it's on sale on the Black Friday weekend. This gives you Velour body skins included.)

2. Join the Lelutka, Akeruka, LOGO, and Genus groups. Get the group gift Genus head and face skin now. Get free or $ L 1 group gift heads from the other groups later. I forget what it costs to join Akeruka, but I'll guess $L 150. I'll assume paying $L 155 for maybe 3 mesh heads then.

3. Join at least one skin store group with body skins you like that also has a bunch of group gifts. For a female alt, I'd suggest Nuve for $L 300. If you can wait until December, you can join several for free. 

4. I assume you can modify your own shape, but if not there are cheap ones on Marketplace.

5. For a female alt, get the free to newbies AO at the Body Language shop at the Welcome Hub. There are also other free male and female AOs inworld or on MP.

6. Join all the clothing and hair stores you like with free groups and group gifts. COCO and Hilly Halaan are good ones to start with for a female alt. Go to Paloma Plaza for freebies too. For a male alt, go to the free section of Gabriel.

7. Join some clothing and hair stores with low group join fees, and a bunch of group gifts, including occational store credit gifts. My suggestions for a female avatar are Blueberry, Addams, ViSion, Tachinni, and No.Match.

Following these steps, one can fully outfit an alt for under $L 1000. Join the Fabulously Free and SL Frees and Offers groups for more free stuff.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

What do you use alt accounts for?

I think it started as a way to get more prizes from lucky chairs and Midnight Mania...but then I wanted to make the alts look less noob-y, and really got into picking skins and hairs and clothes for them. And then I made up personalities for them too :) 

I actually think your idea's brilliant 👍 I'd have LOVED to be able to log in 4-5 at once and all go for scooter rides together, or hit the clubs as a little gang 💖

I wouldn't have made any of them enemies, though...but I did make one 'dark' alt that got a negative reaction from the start, and that I didn't enjoy logging in as...just felt a bit 'off':/...I eventually deleted that one...that was pretty odd...

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

-BONUS: Is what I'm doing - having alt accounts as imaginary friends/enemies/etc. - bad?

Not "bad" in my opinion no; as long as they're not talking crap about you and leaving you vulnerable and feeling worse than when you started.  As long as the "Friends" ones are lifting you and aiding you in endeavours of self-care and self-confidence.  As long as you come away feeling better than when you started.  What could be so bad about that :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Alts, for the longest time, were something I struggled with. (I've been in SL since 2013, but just joined this forum - this to say I'm not new to SL). I understand role playing and have explored it over the years here in SL. I respect it. The part about alts that presents a challenge to my thinking is when I contemplate the idea of a RL host interacting with me through different alts, but not disclosing they're the same RL host. Something about that makes me feel like the RL host is trying to be deceitful. I keep telling myself SL is essentially a masquerade party and we really don't know who is behind any avatar we encounter, alt or otherwise. There can be something very freeing in that thinking. So, I do my best to take each avatar at "face value" and not try to unravel the mystery of their RL host.

• Like 4

My alt (former main) feeds Aya money, since she's old enough to still get a weekly stipend. She's also the one with the MP store. Occasionally, I'll do more than just raid her wallet if I need a second model for a photo shoot, but that's very rare.

As to your bonus question, nope, it's not bad.

5 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I took my old main from system to mesh for very little.

Free Lel Lilly head in Evo mode. Pumec Evo skin from the MP from their old gacha collection (under 100L, includes the body skin). Lucybody + BOM relay - 299L or whatever that costs now. I make all my own shapes, so nothing there.

Joined groups with a 35L or less fee for a ton of free makeup, shoes, hair, nails, tattoos, skins, accessories, and clothing. Joined AK's group, too, for the head gifts.

Self-built AO using Oracul bento anims (uhhhh 20L-25L or so per anim?).

Ran her through every free gift event I could stand running twice - FLF-O-Ween/Birthday Bash, Shop & Hops, Lelutka events, advent events/calendars, and more with a focus on grabbing and spending gift cards/store credit. Blew up her wardrobe with that alone.

Joined groups with high fees when they made them free during Lel holiday and other events.

Weekend sales and Hello Tuesday for clothing, hair, and accessories. Also hit up some stores I know with cheap clothes. Limited the spend to nothing over 100L per item (mostly get away with 50-75L). 

I splurged twice, but only because I wanted to - took her to an old favorite tattoo shop to grab a hairbase/head tattoo combo and ran her to my favorite alternative hair store for a super cute punk hairstyle. I just can't resist shaving my avies' heads.

She now owns a lot of free heads from everywhere and tons of EvoX stuff for future makeovers because I make it a point to grab everything free on her, whether she needs it now or not.

• Like 6

On 4/6/2024 at 4:31 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

-What do you use alt accounts for?

-BONUS: Is what I'm doing - having alt accounts as imaginary friends/enemies/etc. - bad?

My alt explores the grid in quiet mode without being bothered by others who are in chat mode.

If your alts add value to your experience and it doesn't harm others I can't see anything negative about it.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 4/6/2024 at 4:31 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

I guess I never grew out of that "imaginary friend" phase.

There's Gopi the grey alien (well he is one most of the time), John the shapeshifter, a bunch of women, a bunch of men, and a whole lot of various non-humans.

Questions for you:

-What do you use alt accounts for?

I have 2 alts

the first is used for:

• Primary reason is for testing products:
    • checking I have the permissions all set right
    • making sure that it actually works for another avatar.
  • Secondary reason is for hanging out in peace.  Sometimes I just want some me time to explore or create things without being IM a lot.
  • Tertiary reason - Cheers.  IE everyone knows your name and there is no way to be really anonymous.  it's the equivalent of going to a new club and giving the rando hitting on you a fake name. I never do this with regular hangout, just places I want to check out along the way and if I decide after a visit or 2 that I might want to hang out there more regular like I'll start taking my main there instead and exclusively.

and thee second is, like some others have said, a bank alt to store my lindens and keep me honest in my spending.  they never go anywhere.

On 4/6/2024 at 6:42 PM, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I refer to my main in third person, too.

My accounts all have different personalities.  The one I choose to log in, depends on my mood.  They are not my "friends" just different parts of myself that I feel like letting out.

I also refer to my main in the third person in most cases.  She is her own being and I'm just along for the ride.  Mostly.  😛 

My testing alt does have her own personality to that's slowly grown over time of being an exploring wanderer of the digital landscape.

On 4/6/2024 at 5:32 PM, Rick Nightingale said:

I think that's one of the worst things about SL. It's the root of having to buy multiple copies of an item if you want to use them on different alts; I hate that. As far as I'm concerned, *I* bought it, I should be able to use it on any alt I want. Not that it's going to change; sellers (except the few like me) would have a total meltdown.

Yeah that bugs me to from time to time.  But it is the framework we exist in.  We don't create a primary account then create avatars under that that can be easily linked for inventory sharing.  Rather each avatar is its own unique account despite being able to share key contact and payment details.  Establishing a link between accounts that would be able to bypass no-transfer flag of products would at this point in time be highly difficult to do that wouldn't create a myriad of related bugs.  something like that probably would have had to be baked in at the very beginning so you could have 'bound to account' as a separate restriction in addition to 'bound to avatar'.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2024 at 10:31 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

What do you use alt accounts for?

Pretty much nothing. I have two, which I created to explore different characters/identities/angles of myself, and for a while they served that purpose, but not substantially. These days I occasionally use them to try out radically different looks with new heads etc or any kind of experimentation, but tbh I haven't logged in to any of them for months at the time of writing....although one of them currently sports a look that fellow sapphics might just melt/ die for, lol.

On 4/6/2024 at 10:31 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

Is what I'm doing - having alt accounts as imaginary friends/enemies/etc. - bad?

Hell no. That's the healthiest/ most wholesome thing I've ever heard of in sl!

• Like 1