3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

When they start asking to be added to my friend list, I'm outta here.

How many noobs will be sending friend requests to these bots, I wonder? As it seems that however little new users know about SL, they quickly work out how to send random friend requests.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I was all excited, and was hoping to have some conversation with the bots, but they all ignored me.. even the fisher bot ๐Ÿ˜ข

ย  ย Well, if anything, I think we can put to rest any fears our dear fishermen might have about being replaced by AI any time soon .. Even I know you're supposed to get the line in the water!

• Haha 3

sounds like an improvement over blow up dolls from France...

Serious question, if these NPC AI helpers are owned by LL, can we trust them?ย  Do I need to watch what I ask them?

Edited by Jaylinbridges

12 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Interesting. Tip of the hat to Hamlet at New world Notes.

โ€œWeโ€™re excited to partner with Convai to bring its conversational AI into Second Life to add new and exciting engagement experiences to our community,โ€ says Brad Oberwager, chairman of Linden Lab, in a statement.

https://venturebeat.com/games/convai-teams-up-with-unity-on-ai-npc-games/

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2024/03/ai-linden-lab-convai-npc.html

ย 

What moron thought anyone would want to talk to an AI bot in second life?

I think this is a great idea for afk bots. You know the ones I'm talkingย  about. Or even newbies should be able to choose an ai companion from their inventory to help them settle in. Like an attachable pet. I come across quite many lonely people in sl who would appreciate a companion without the responsibility that comes with a real human.ย 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

sounds like an improvement over blow up dolls from France...

Serious question, if these NPC AI helpers are owned by LL, can we trust them?ย  Do I need to watch what I ask them?

Im waiting (indread) for the instaban bots, where if they hear you say something contrary to the beliefs of the hive mind, you will be banned for 24 hours.

3 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I think this is a great idea for afk bots. You know the ones I'm talkingย  about. Or even newbies should be able to choose an ai companion from their inventory to help them settle in. Like an attachable pet. I come across quite many lonely people in sl who would appreciate a companion without the responsibility that comes with a real human.ย 

And having an AI bot for a companion will make them less lonely?

Its like that movie where the guy fell in love with his OS, in the end the OS dumped him because he was too needy ๐Ÿ˜‚

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

And having an AI bot for a companion will make them less lonely?

Its like that movie where the guy fell in love with his OS, in the end the OS dumped him because he was too needy ๐Ÿ˜‚

I remember that movie! Okay let's not make the companions look or sound like Scarlett Johansson then ๐Ÿคฃ.ย 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

How many noobs will be sending friend requests to these bots, I wonder? As it seems that however little new users know about SL, they quickly work out how to send random friend requests.

There are people I hang out with regularly who I keep forgetting to friend. ๐Ÿคฃ Is anyone else like that?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is fine, I suppose, so long as AI-based NPCs are clearly labelled as such.

If I end up wasting so much as 30 seconds "interacting" with "someone" whom I subsequently discover is an LLM-based NPC, I will be beyond pissed.

I suspect it won't be long then for you to be beyond pissed as already a few years ago I ran into a chatbot were it took over 5 minutes of casual conversation before realizing I was talking with a bot. Even then it only started to dawn on me because their responses were faster then any humans could type, not because their conversation was not on topic or an appropriate answer to my questions.ย 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

What moron thought anyone would want to talk to an AI bot in second life?

Yeah - why would anyone want to listen to someone spitting out things based on information they've collected that they don't know is accurate and don't understand?

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

There are people I hang out with regularly who I keep forgetting to friend. ๐Ÿคฃ Is anyone else like that?

I use a tracker to let me know when people I like that I havenโ€™t friended yet are online. ย if i havent friended them, they wonโ€™t know iโ€™m not iming them ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

• Like 1

I can see the utility particularly at the Welcome Hub, visited yesterday and there was a steady flow of people and I can see how the mentors might become overwhelmed. Obviously a chatbot isn't going to be able to answer every question but for the easier/shorter questions and so long as the chatbot is very obviously a bot I can't see the harm.

ย 

• Like 3

the fact is, to get any enjoyment out of Sl in current times, it really is a must a new user needs:

1) Money: Sl is all about shopping and making your avi looking good, and that takes money

2) To get any amount of enjoyment out of it, a desktop computer or really, really good laptop. See #1

3) Prepare to invest a minimum 30 days of your timeย  in 'Noob Boot camp'. One does not simply download the SL viewer and have a good time. No you have to know how the engine works, how the braking system works, this is not a press the gas and go type of entertainment

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If I end up wasting so much as 30 seconds "interacting" with "someone" whom I subsequently discover is an LLM-based NPC, I will be beyond pissed.

"Hi. My name is Eliza. Tell me about your day."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I can see the utility particularly at the Welcome Hub, visited yesterday and there was a steady flow of people and I can see how the mentors might become overwhelmed. Obviously a chatbot isn't going to be able to answer every question but for the easier/shorter questions and so long as the chatbot is very obviously a bot I can't see the harm.

ย 

I agree.ย  The advancements in LLMs over the past few years is simply mind boggling, the methodology of providing information based upon questions is superior to any search engine I have found, and certainly beats google search where I have to sort through page after page, containing information I don't need, or even worse *gasps* watching super hyper people on youtube screaming into a video only to find that the video contains nothing of value to my query.ย  Even running the video at 2x, which at times is entertaining, gets to be a bit frustrating ๐Ÿคฃ

My concern would be that it might reference outdated information, which could be a problem for new users unfamiliar with LLMs.ย  In general, for myself, I treat them like I would anything else I read online, with a grain of salt because not everything on the Internet is true ๐Ÿ™ƒย  Unfortunately, I'm not sure how how much of a problem this might have on new users, especially considering how old SL's wiki is, there is a lot of information to sort through.

ย 

17 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

They are getting very convincing, and I can understand the feeling of being upset.ย  LLMs have no sentience, no awareness, and having a connection with people on an emotional level is important for conversation for a lot of people.ย  I think that is in general the point of most conversations people have with one another, we are weird like that ๐Ÿคฃ A lot of the time, it is not about the exchange of information, but built around the exchange of feelings.ย  It is one of the reason I participate on the forums, and even if *or rather when* we have transformative technology building entire mesh landscapes for us, I will spend time appreciating all of the works people have put together.ย  It is there that we found it was done with intent, and an awareness, and something to be appreciated.

I am of the opinion, that LLMs will never have the capacity to be aware, that it will never arise due to complexity, that it is more so a case of the Chinese room ย as described by Searle.

I think of LLMs mostly as a form of entertainment when it comes to just general chatting, I know there is no real intent behind the words, there is no awareness, no emotion, but much like reading a book which does not feel, or watching a movie, it is fun to suspend disbelief and let go.ย  It is kind of like reading a book a choose your own adventure book, or playing a video game.ย  I think it would be great to have in SL while also enjoying SL.ย  Much like passively watching TV while I am fishing ๐Ÿ™ƒ I do think that SL needs to make it a point to ensure others know that what they are talking with is a bot though, otherwise they may find themselves rather frustrated that they had spent the time socializing with something that is just not really capable of experiencing what socializing actually is.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

This all feels like it's missing the mark in a very big way.

Between the influx of AI in SL's fashion advertising in the shopping realm, AI "paintings" and "art" infiltrating my favorite home decor shops, and now this, I'm starting to feel like I'm living in a cruel meme.ย ๐Ÿ˜‚ย 

I'm remote self-employed and my current gig involves...training LLMs/AI (!!!). The absolute last thing I want to do is spend my off-time around it. Working at home is isolating - I want to converse with PEOPLE on the innerwebz (yes, I could drag my butt outside, but that means going to NYC to be where the fun's at, and that's expensive yo - I'm in the process of saving monies). I favor massively multiplayer games and platforms for a reason - cuz people. I want peoples. GIMME PEOPLES.

I know other freelancers and remote employees and they're generally similar in that games and social platforms are their preferred method of socialization while everything else is so expensive. There's definitely a trend whenever something new releases - the very first question asked of the developers is "Is it multiplayer/co-op?" People generally love stuff like that, so the thought of logging in to a place like SL for the very first time and being surrounded by bots...welll...I'd log right out, personally, and assume the game is suffering from a lack of users/players. Bots aren't generally seen as a good thing, and NPCs aren't exactly something I'd associate with a thriving social virtual world. They're there as filler characters in RPGs to give players an excuse to team up and raid some random village somewhere.ย ๐Ÿ˜‚

I have other concerns relating to the training, but that's a whole separate can of worms I'm not touching. Not my models, not my problem.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Between the influx of AI in SL's fashion advertising in the shopping realm, AI "paintings" and "art" infiltrating my favorite home decor shops, and now this, I'm starting to feel like I'm living in a cruel meme.ย ๐Ÿ˜‚ย 

Yes.

There is no escape.

OTOH, most people embraced the internet, and found a favorite browser, then a favorite search engine..

..many grew up with Tamagotchi's..Aibo dogs were a thing..

..then most people picked a favorite AI virtual assistant (Siri, Alexa, etc.)..

..some of us tried Replika..

..many people defend the existence of 'Bots' in Second Life, despite 'Bots' replacing many RL jobs (data scraping/software automation)..

Lookout, that slope is slippery!ย ย 

Maybe carefully-placed banana peels are the solution!

200.gif ?cid=6c09b952fjagxgz5omsu9vzythe7n5q01xptxrlnquqeokpt&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200. gif&ct=g

• Haha 3