Interesting. Tip of the hat to Hamlet at New world Notes.

“We’re excited to partner with Convai to bring its conversational AI into Second Life to add new and exciting engagement experiences to our community,” says Brad Oberwager, chairman of Linden Lab, in a statement.

https://venturebeat.com/games/convai-teams-up-with-unity-on-ai-npc-games/

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2024/03/ai-linden-lab-convai-npc.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

"For one thing, LLM-based NPCs will be notoriously unreliable and need quite a bit of training not to hallucinate. For another, I'm concerned that starting new users off with an NPC companion will distort their impression about Second Life culture, which is all about actual live users and live user communities."

Great.  More reasons for people to treat everyone like their personal NPC.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

"For one thing, LLM-based NPCs will be notoriously unreliable and need quite a bit of training not to hallucinate. For another, I'm concerned that starting new users off with an NPC companion will distort their impression about Second Life culture, which is all about actual live users and live user communities."

Maybe newbies could have a small animal companion instead, similar to those in Harry Potter or His Dark Matterials? 

Realistically though, most will end up as shop assistants and sex bots.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4

This is fine, I suppose, so long as AI-based NPCs are clearly labelled as such.

If I end up wasting so much as 30 seconds "interacting" with "someone" whom I subsequently discover is an LLM-based NPC, I will be beyond pissed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Maybe newbies could have a small animal companion instead, similar to those in Harry Potter or His Dark Matterials? 

Realistically though, most will end up as shop assistants and sex bots.

I'm sure they'll be programmed G rated.  At least, I hope so or yeah, sex bots.

We can assign one to Randall!  Of course, they might ignore him, too.  😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Oh boy... I honestly believe using NPC AI to learn newcomers about how to do things within Second life won't make a difference at all, it's a waste of time and money that should go somewhere else. Back when I joined in 2007 I was 13, I learned and understood the important aspect fairly quick, other things I learned over time, there were a lot of other newcomers with me, and we were eager to talk and figure out things together. However back then we didn't have complex avatars. I feel like the difficult part for most newcomers is the avatar and how to meet and socialize with people, and both those aspects have changed a lot since then. Now people will have to figure out how to replace their standard Second life avatar with replacement body parts, what clothing, skin, hair etc fits said body parts, what is bom? why is my avatar looking all funky, what is even going on?! Who can the newcomers talk to to be able to figure this out, when most people now days are either at their skybox/platform, in a club full of other silent lurkers, shopping events, or in general hiding somewhere or spread sparsely through the big world of Second life (honestly the world should get smaller, we are less people), even if people are somewhere social or easily available to newcomers, they don't bother to be social or welcoming to people, unless it is their own friend group or friends.

At least this is from my own experience, I try to go to popular destinations, I try to find places where one can be social, but it has all been bad luck, so I can't imagine how it is for newcomers, how demotivating it is to keep "playing" Second life as it is now. 

What they should invest their time on doing, is to figure out how to bring the community back together again so we aren't so spread out. But also figure out a way to easily explain and introduce third-party body parts, clothing, etc. Most people don't intend to stick with what they start out with.

And please, give the poor newcomers an ao that doesn't make them look like a stiff penguin.

Edited by PixelBerry
  • Like 3

Mentor bots for newbies can be a great addition for instance.
But if they pop up in everyday SL without being easily recognizable as NPC's, no thanks.

• Like 4

I'm not chatting with AI for free.

Also...who???

"Convai has joined forces with industry giants such as Frost Giant Studios, Linden Lab, and Carbonated to integrate AI NPCs into their games."

I had to Google. Former Blizzard and EA devs and RTS guys and mobile devs.

Interesting. Hope that works out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Some people WANT to be treated like furniture!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ugh..current login screen message encourages you to go somewhere to experience "bots"!

image.png.c8bb024423ddaf748825f7da4dd77aea.png

Enigmatic...difficult to interpret or understand.   Sounds awesome!  😶

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ugh..current login screen message encourages you to go somewhere to experience "bots"!

image.png.c8bb024423ddaf748825f7da4dd77aea.png

I was all excited, and was hoping to have some conversation with the bots, but they all ignored me.. even the fisher bot 😢

Snapshot_919.thumb.jpg.67a6eec19a28f9bc062fce9aa9a65653.jpg

I think this is an newer build because there was a houseboat that must have drifted from Bellisseria 

Snapshot_920.thumb.jpg.77ed52a2de27549b7e1e0451a19ad491.jpg

I think it would be kind of interesting if LL provided bots as a service, and created a few routines for them, including a image to text to describe the scene around them so they could interact with it.  They could even have them randomly sit around on furniture, wander around, or just spawn for users when they so desired.  It would be pretty cool to have a virtual fishing friend to chat with when the mood struck, no obligations, no commitments, just mindless chitchat with no strings attached.

When I am exploring SL, there are often lots of people sitting alone on their property, I wonder how popular it would be, or how many people would be upset that others used the service at all.

I could see it now though, premium members get one NPC, premium plus two, it would be pretty fun - at least for me.  I do look forward to it in games at any rate, it is getting there regardless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Istelathis said:

I think it would be kind of interesting if LL provided bots as a service, and created a few routines for them, including a image to text to describe the scene around them so they could interact with it. 

I can see it now.

AI: "You are a pretty dog!"

Me: "I IZ LION, LIKE NEKO, NOT DOGGO!!"

AI: "Can you say woof-woof?"

Me: "I IZ LION AND WILL EAT YOU NAO!"

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is fine, I suppose, so long as AI-based NPCs are clearly labelled as such.

If I end up wasting so much as 30 seconds "interacting" with "someone" whom I subsequently discover is an LLM-based NPC, I will be beyond pissed.

I just took a look at the SL section of that video, btw. I didn't see any actual indicator that they were bots, except for the one named "Greeter Bot." The others he spawned in had random-looking names like "fineartdruid" and "thisisnitehawk," so I guess you could go by that? 👀 They weren't all lower-case, though. One had proper capitalization.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

When they start asking to be added to my friend list, I'm outta here.

Apparently, they can teleport you to places like clubs, introduce you to the club host, and hang around and dance. 

Problem is, I had no idea whether or not the other people in the club were real or NPCs, which really creeped me out to be honest.

Wait, just rewatched - all the other people he's dancing with are NPCs, too. Same names as seen in the Welcome Hub earlier in the video. 😳

• Like 2
  • Sad 2