In Second Life, "Friends Don't Let Friends ________"

In Second Life, what kind of things do you "draw the line at" for friends? 

I am focused on "things that would hurt you and/or me as friends".

Here's a few examples:

- Demanding you always "help" them (which could really mean, "do stuff for them")

- Criticizing your avatar / look / style

- Say you "have to" attend their SL job function (as DJ, host, whatever) in support when you don't really want to

- Help you shop, if you don't really want to do that

- Convince you to write a script for them

- Talk you into being online when you should be asleep / working / in school

What are YOUR "no-no's" for friends?

• Like 4

I don't mind if a good friend has a suggestion for my avatar.  Simply criticizing it?  No one should do that to a friend.  The rest I'd have to agree with.  My couple (yep, down to 2 that are online anymore) friends know I'm here to do my own thing and expect nothing from me whatsoever.  I extend them the same courtesy.  Oh, and I don't know nuthin' bout no scripts.  😆

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I don't mind if a good friend has a suggestion for my avatar.  Simply criticizing it?  No one should do that to a friend.  The rest I'd have to agree with.  My couple (yep, down to 2 that are online anymore) friends know I'm here to do my own thing and expect nothing from me whatsoever.  I extend them the same courtesy.  Oh, and I don't know nuthin' bout no scripts.  😆

Aww, I hope that we can count you among our friends, even if not on your "friends list"!

• Like 2

different things bother different people...

we should let our friehnds know if something bothers us, rather than relying on a list made by different people with different feelings on the subject... after all, they are our friends, and we should also be helping our friends to stay our friends....

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Friends don't mass TP spam friends to crappy clubs.

Oooo, this one so much. I adore one of the DJs in a formal dance venue but they spam their friends list almost daily announcing their club times. That why I have group notices turned off for that place. Urgh, stop using your friends list like a subscription group.

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You just take those!

True! And if the hoomans see you taking what's rightfully yours, you can kill them in their sleep later, so all good :)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

No IMing me the second I log in before I've even rezzed.

This is the one I've heard most often from people. It doesn't especially bother me, but I have a number of friends who are quite adamant about it.

I could probably populate a lengthy list of hypotheticals on this one ("Don't try to sell me NFTs or crypto"; "Don't belong to a Neo-Nazi group"), but in practice I really haven't had to impose many limits on friendships. Don't try to get me to have sex with you is one, I suppose, but seemingly there are either very few people who want to do that with me in the first place, or they pick up on that limit very quickly and never proceed far enough that I have to ask them to back off.

One sort of "line" that I draw: if you want me to dance with you, you must explicitly ask me to dance. None of that "plunking down the dance balls and expect me to just hop on" thing. I want to hear a "Scylla, would you like to dance?" from you. It doesn't need to be scraping or obsequious; you don't need to bow or curtsey or fall to one knee, but I would like the common courtesy of being asked, rather than it merely being assumed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

One sort of "line" that I draw: if you want me to dance with you, you must explicitly ask me to dance.

"Shall we dawnse?"

Here's one: "Friends don't TP to your location unannounced. You could be busy!"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

No IMing me the second I log in before I've even rezzed.

Or being ok with me not responding until I am good and ready. One who gets upset with me not responding immediately won't last long.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Friends don't eat friends.

I only eat friends. Can't go around nibbling on strangers - you never know where they've been!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Orwar said:

I only eat friends. Can't go around nibbling on strangers - you never know where they've been!

Glad you chimed in, I was going to post "Friends don't bite friends and steal their souls.."

• Like 1