The new Second Life Community Exhibition

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 95 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Who brought up "SL  After Dark"

Fun idea!

Me, because I'm old enough to remember when HBO and Showtime had "After Dark" programing on cable tv. 

Ooo, we could have a lingerie party for Valentine's Day.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Looks like we're drifting off topic a bit.  Have we had all the thoughts on the Community Exhibition itself or have people thought of questions they might want to put to LL about applying but are too shy to ask?

More like why bother with a company that literally prides itself on not listening to its community and makes statements on how they don't read the forums.

PS- other then to delete posts which might make them uncomfortable of course.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

More like why bother with a company that literally prides itself on not listening to its community and makes statements on how they don't read the forums.

Some people have trouble getting others to listen to them for some reason.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I think most of the small staff are probably without a lot of spare hours to be reading the forums.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Me, because I'm old enough to remember when HBO and Showtime had "After Dark" programing on cable tv. 

Ooo, we could have a lingerie party for Valentine's Day.

Cartoon Network's had "Adult Swim" for many years, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Looks like we're drifting off topic a bit.  Have we had all the thoughts on the Community Exhibition itself or have people thought of questions they might want to put to LL about applying but are too shy to ask?

Can I start a Boistown project for consideration or would I be infringing on the Boystown name ?          <<<< is facetious question

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Can I start a Boistown project for consideration or would I be infringing on the Boystown name ?          <<<< is facetious question

You'd better allow more than just bois. LOL

I'm currently working on getting my home community's owner/manager on board with all this, he's just in the middle of a live fiction read right now. I think it's an awesome opportunity, and anyone who doesn't at least apply and see if they can get a spot is missing out.

I mean yeah, not everyone is going to get a spot, but hey, you know, that whole Wayne Gretzky quote thing.

I can think of quite a few places that would make awesome additions to the exhibit.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

You'd better allow more than just bois. LOL

I'm currently working on getting my home community's owner/manager on board with all this, he's just in the middle of a live fiction read right now. I think it's an awesome opportunity, and anyone who doesn't at least apply and see if they can get a spot is missing out.

I mean yeah, not everyone is going to get a spot, but hey, you know, that whole Wayne Gretzky quote thing.

I can think of quite a few places that would make awesome additions to the exhibit.

Is that Innsmouth? I was very impressed when my friends took me there long ago, I believe it was the first time I met you. Should definitely be an exhibit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Is that Innsmouth? I was very impressed when my friends took me there long ago, I believe it was the first time I met you. Should definitely be an exhibit.

I always just say "my home sim", because we're on the forums and yeah. But...

*nods*

And thank you for saying that, it means a lot.

Also, I've seen your dot there since that visit. ^-^

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Asking for a friend of course but was there an exhibit for male lesbians? If one hears all the rumours of how many lesbians are actually male, it would be a sizable community and one SL should promote and support. 🤯

I wouldn't even find it ironic. It is a large demographic, and many are quite open about it, too.

If they had an exhibit (theoretically, I mean, because reality and all) it would probably be a massive draw for a lot of people, and actually serve its purpose quite well, I think. I'm not even joking.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PheebyKatz said:

I wouldn't even find it ironic. It is a large demographic, and many are quite open about it, too.

If they had an exhibit (theoretically, I mean, because reality and all) it would probably be a massive draw for a lot of people, and actually serve its purpose quite well, I think. I'm not even joking.

Like my friend though I think a lot would prefer to remain anonymous so maybe they would have to supply masks or paperbags to put over their heads while attending ;)

Woman-with-paper-bag-over-head.jpg

• Haha 1

I've only had good words for the welcome hub so far. Now I stand in front of some/many of the portals and wonder what the heck they are about. Boystown stands out as a good example. Well readable text, clear message. When I stand in front of some others I feel pain trying to read the text, and also trying to figure out what the heck they are about. I like the idea of the community portals in general but Linden should create some stricter guidelines when it comes to what they need to show and how.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xDancingStarx said:

I've only had good words for the welcome hub so far. Now I stand in front of some/many of the portals and wonder what the heck they are about. Boystown stands out as a good example. Well readable text, clear message. When I stand in front of some others I feel pain trying to read the text, and also trying to figure out what the heck they are about. I like the idea of the community portals in general but Linden should create some stricter guidelines when it comes to what they need to show and how.

Accessibility is a consideration, yes. Even I've been guilty of putting too small of text on things for public display. I think it comes from reading books for so long, you expect everyone is used to walls of tiny text.

I like things like highly-visible signage that you can click to get info folders, and such.

• Like 2

I had a good look around the communities area and I think on the whole they are providing a good start.

The only drawback I would say is that is that it is all a bit English language focussed (and I only speak/read English). Whilst English may be seen as a language used by many in international communications it would be nice so see several of the "foreign language" communities represented in future expansions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Randy Pole said:

I had a good look around the communities area and I think on the whole they are providing a good start.

The only drawback I would say is that is that it is all a bit English language focussed (and I only speak/read English). Whilst English may be seen as a language used by many in international communications it would be nice so see several of the "foreign language" communities represented in future expansions.

Thank you for pointing that out! 

I think that LL could easily ask exhibitors who are willing, to create multi-lingual signs with perhaps "Click here for Multi-Lingual Notecard" .

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 12:58 AM, PheebyKatz said:

There are communities here who are so niche a person might think they were all alone in the whole world if they didn't go exploring one day and stumble upon them. Not every region bothers with showing up in Search either, because it took them this long to find their special place where they can be themselves and not have to deal with judgemental people, and they aren't always going to be the most open to fresh traffic.

I think the point that the people within a region are ultimately what decide the character of a community is an under-appreciated one sometimes.

I have friends who run sims with similar interests and they simply do not put themselves out there or on search because too many new people too fast can make a familiar place become unfamiliar and cause it to lose any culture or homeliness it may have harvested. Guests can feel entitled to have permanence in your community, even if they do not integrate or fit the overall goals.

In my own region, Kokoro Academy, we encountered this problem in the past. We tackled the problem by creating a ticket system whereby you have to obtain a free ticket to travel into the main community area (the roleplay school). A guest can only get so many tickets per month, but a member of the community has no limits.

What that achieved was to completely change our relationship with the people who enter the sim. New guests no longer expected to be able to stay forever, and they understood themselves to be guests. Where in the past, we would have to explicitly move people on that were not good fits or if the sim was simply getting too hard to manage (which results in confrontation, hurt egos and general stress) the ticket system meant no such confrontation was necessary as nobody was expecting to be able to stay forever in the first place.

Instead of the majority of administrative tasks being to confront people for behaviour, the majority of administrative tasks are simply issuing more tickets, or enrolling particularly good guests. It turned administration from something stressful to something nice. Many of our guests comment on how they feel much more calm and at home at Kokoro than other sims they hangout in, and I think that's why. It's always familiar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

The post is made in jest I’m sure, but it highlights a serious RL problem, regular old males with no attempt to present as women claim to be lesbien, then demand that real lesbiens have sex with them, lest they be publically exposed as transphobic.

And no, i don’t make this crap up.

Only somewhat tongue in cheek as it is definitely a thing. Keeping it on topic within the context of SL, I've known a number of males RP'ing females within the lesbian communities who eventually transitioned virtually to gender fluid and then after a time to trans in both virtual and real life and focused on males rather then female.

From what I have seen in the forums over the years is that this large minority is not looked on favourably leading me to wonder if that is not something SL should be acknowledging on a community level.

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Only somewhat tongue in cheek as it is definitely a thing. Keeping it on topic within the context of SL, I've known a number of males RP'ing females within the lesbian communities who eventually transitioned virtually to gender fluid and then after a time to trans in both virtual and real life and focused on males rather then female.

From what I have seen in the forums over the years is that this large minority is not looked on favourably leading me to wonder if that is not something SL should be acknowledging on a community level.

Since LL is targeting actual communities I'm not sure what they can do, or really should do to address an unknown number of individuals.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Since LL is targeting actual communities I'm not sure what they can do, or really should do to address an unknown number of individuals.

Any community is allowed to apply for a spot so it's not really up to LL to go out and find these groups.  If they want to put up a display, they're more than welcome, I'm sure.  Not sure why anyone would think it's LL's responsibility to spend time finding niche groups when they have a process in place already for groups to join in the Community Exhibition.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Any community is allowed to apply for a spot so it's not really up to LL to go out and find these groups.  If they want to put up a display, they're more than welcome, I'm sure.  Not sure why anyone would think it's LL's responsibility to spend time finding niche groups when they have a process in place already for groups to join in the Community Exhibition.

We were just talking about how a lot of the more niche groups, even large ones, could benefit from the Community Exhibition.

Unlike in the past, the new Welcome Hub is a lot more "comfortable" feeling, without much of the icky vibe that clings to a lot of the older unofficial helper sims, and is, IMO, more conducive to longtime residents actually being willing to hang out and meet newer people.

Getting to know a newer person, and liking them, well, that leads to SL opening up for them, as it were. The people they meet start showing them places that aren't in Search, for example.

I met my mom, and ended living in a faery glen instead of being homeless, because a certain tiny hadn't yet decided to give up on cruising for newbies to befriend. If he hadn't been on that helper sim hanging out, we wouldn't have met that day, and I would probably have missed out on 3 years of having a mom and a beautiful home in SL.

Having a nicer place for people to orient themselves, with a little more courtesy expected of everyone there, well, I can't help but see the benefits of that. And the Community Exhibition gives people more to look at while meandering about, and increases the likelihood of meeting cool people who are hanging out and looking, too.

I even used the word "indirectly" in my original post about this. Not every benefit to anything is direct, some are sideways, indirect.

More people willing to be there increases the chances of friendships forming, and people seeing more of the "real SL".

• Like 3

• Moles
3 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Is anyone moderating this forum?

Yup.  As long as the conversation stays on topic we're OK, but please resist the temptation to drift off into discussions that aren't focused on the SL Community Exhibition.  

• Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 95 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.