The new Second Life Community Exhibition

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 82 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This sounds like great news to me.  I saw it not long after it had been published and passed it to a manager of a community I'm in.  Thoughts, anyone?

Please note replies concerning Politics or Religion will be off-topic except for a brief mention of a community relating to either of those.  I don't want this topic closed because someone can't behave; not even me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

I saw this blog post a few hours ago and I think this is an excellent move from the Lab. One can't tell new signups enough about what there is to explore in SL.
If the new resident finds something of their interest, they will more likely stay and return than when they think after 5 minutes: "Now what?"

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6

Currently watching a live feed where Strawberry and Patch are interviewing people who are at the few exhibits already set up there. It does look to be a great idea, need many more exhibitors though to give more of an idea of what is available to new residents. Seems a little bit "niche" at the moment, Gay Town, Caledon/Steampunk theme, Burn2, Second Norway, Virtual Ability, Bay City. These groups have been in Second Life for longer than I have and certainly do portray the diverse nature of Second Life, and gives out the message that anyone and everyone is welcome. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Currently watching a live feed where Strawberry and Patch are interviewing people who are at the few exhibits already set up there. It does look to be a great idea, need many more exhibitors though to give more of an idea of what is available to new residents. Seems a little bit "niche" at the moment, Gay Town, Caledon/Steampunk theme, Burn2, Second Norway, Virtual Ability, Bay City. These groups have been in Second Life for longer than I have and certainly do portray the diverse nature of Second Life, and gives out the message that anyone and everyone is welcome. 

There is an invitation to apply already in the blog post. So communities have a chance to get a spot if they want to and are a bit newbie friendly.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

There is an invitation to apply already in the blog post. So communities have a chance to get a spot if they want to and are a bit newbie friendly.

When I think back through everything I've enjoyed in Second Life the most, I hope Giant Snail Racing becomes part of the exhibition, but they probably need to rotate the exhibitors so it stays fresh and newbies can revisit for more inspiration and so it doesn't get massive and overwhelming. It's like a 3D Destination Guide in a way and if it changed from week to week it would remind me of the top of the Magic Faraway Tree.

Oh to be a child again. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

This sounds like great news to me.  I saw it not long after it had been published and passed it to a manager of a community I'm in.  Thoughts, anyone?

Please note replies concerning Politics or Religion will be off-topic except for a brief mention of a community relating to either of those.  I don't want this topic closed because someone can't behave; not even me.

The Dinkie community was.the first one I thought of when I visited.  I do hope they become one of.the exhibits!  @bigmoe Whitfield, your community needs representation here, too.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Modulated said:

I appreciate the effort going into this but they need better talking heads for these things. Listening to those 2 is like watching paint dry.

Maybe they can get Sam Elliott to do.the voiceovers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, Modulated said:

I appreciate the effort going into this but they need better talking heads for these things. Listening to those 2 is like watching paint dry.

They could have chipmunk voices (like so many SL videos from users). Would that be better?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Modulated said:

Every single strawberry linden labgab is ruined by her dryness. Dear god, it's bad. The worst interviewer i've ever seen. If you ever go watch the interviews with Phillip Linden.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Modulated said:

I've heard Artificial Idiocy generated voices on Youtube videos with more life that the "Gab Flab" PR people.

• Like 3

I actually dropped by, I even got dressed and everything.

I met and had an interesting conversation with another avi that had been around forever.

Its great for noobs, gives them in idea of what Second Life is about, and what you can do.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

gives them in idea of what Second Life is about, and what you can do.

Except, shhhhhh, you know where, the continent that dare not speak it's name, the land of unlimited adult rated naughtyness...

"Hey noob, look! Steampunk world! You can visit, but they will hate you for wearing a suburban jogger mom sux-ra avatar, because it's not steampunk enough"

"Hey noob, look! Gay world! You can visit, but don't get too close, they might want to do naughty stuff we don't talk about, best not go at all really"

"Hey noob, look! Snob World! You can visit but Bay City is for RICH people who don't wear sux-ra, don't loiter or you'll be arrested for vagrancy."

Meh.

This will end up just like the "Community Pages" they touted LAST time, unused Corporate Virtue Signalling

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Midnoot said:

Every single strawberry linden labgab is ruined by her dryness. Dear god, it's bad. The worst interviewer i've ever seen. If you ever go watch the interviews with Phillip Linden.

I couldn't get past her and Patch's lips not moving. 

I think this is a groovy idea. And cooler than just some generic welcome area thing, or themed event, too.

SL is a community of communities, after all, and not just some hodgepodge of stuff all in one place, or categorised by theme; each place not only has cross-traffic from other communities, but also tends to have its own unique core culture, and there's literally room for anyone and their interests.

Making people aware of this is important, and it's healthy for new people to see just how diverse this platform can be, and to see that not only is there a place for them amongst others of a like mind, but that there's room to manifest their own unique vision, as well, because every place and group in SL started the same way. Someone had an idea, and they made it happen.

Seeing examples of what SL really is, and giving some representation to the very real communities within it, well, I think that's great.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 5

Didn't sl do something like this many years ago? I remember having to choose a community when i first started.  One was named "scion " or something.  I could be confusing it with some other game , but I think it was sl.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The Dinkie community was.the first one I thought of when I visited.  I do hope they become one of.the exhibits!  @bigmoe Whitfield , your community needs representation here, too.

Hey thank you for making the bell ring for me,  I'll have to ask the community leader if they feel up to having us in it or not.  

• Like 3

Raglan Shire was the first place I visited (aside from typical "welcome" spots and London City, which did not like me) that actually had actively-occupied avatars in it that were participating in the region's theme when I showed up.

Just saying.

And yeah, I think more people should get on board. This is something I'd actually want to go to see, and I hardly even leave my home sim, usually.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 82 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.