The new Second Life Community Exhibition

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 95 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

There is a lot to unpack here. Your claim is that...

1. We have a serious problem in real life

2. Some assigned-male-at-birth persons are claiming to be lesbien [sic]

3. These persons present as male (e.g. male clothing, styling, etc.)

4. These persons "demand sex" from people they believe to be lesbians (no dinner first?)

5. The consequences of not engaging in "demand sex" is to be "publically shamed as transphobic"

This scenario seems rather far fetched.

I believe you. Rather, I speculate that you read it on social media and simply repeated it.

Is anyone moderating this forum?

dont worry, if my post is in someway offensive, a mole will be along shortly to delete it. 😂

Billi Jo speaks the truth. I have experienced it also. Beware protesting too much, lest you become too obvious in your motives for being indignant.

There are also places where everyone waits until the new person says they're okay with people being different, and then they all whip out the weenies. It's many people's inside joke, apparently.

Being on a "women only" sim, which says it's a "safe place for women", and seeing every avatar equip boy thingies as they all come out about being played by men, well, it was enough to make me avoid any place that says "only this" or "safe place for that" in the future.

Especially if they say "safe place for kids, family friendly".

Back on topic, I'm still trying to make my sim's owner aware of the exhibition, I just need to pry him away from Star Trek and other distractions long enough to get him to follow me there and see it. Hopefully there will be a spot left by the time we apply, lol.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Billi Jo speaks the truth. I have experienced it also. Beware protesting too much, lest you become too obvious in your motives for being indignant.

There are also places where everyone waits until the new person says they're okay with people being different, and then they all whip out the weenies. It's many people's inside joke, apparently.

Being on a "women only" sim, which says it's a "safe place for women", and seeing every avatar equip boy thingies as they all come out about being played by men, well, it was enough to make me avoid any place that says "only this" or "safe place for that" in the future.

Especially if they say "safe place for kids, family friendly".

Back on topic, I'm still trying to make my sim's owner aware of the exhibition, I just need to pry him away from Star Trek and other distractions long enough to get him to follow me there and see it. Hopefully there will be a spot left by the time we apply, lol.

But, she said it highlighted a RL problem so kind of off topic, IMO.

Men in SL do present as lesbian women to engage with other lesbian women.  They've done that since the beginning.   I assume quite often it's actually 2 men presenting as lesbian women.   I asked someone once why some men do that.  Answer...they like watching 2 women having sex and it had nothing to do with the men being anything other than horny men who enjoy girl on girl action.

Is there a community for that?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Men in SL do present as lesbian women to engage with other lesbian women.  They've done that since the beginning.   I assume quite often it's actually 2 men presenting as lesbian women.   I asked someone once why some men do that.  Answer...they like watching 2 women having sex and it had nothing to do with the men being anything other than horny men who enjoy girl on girl action.

There ought to be, so people can differentiate, maybe. I'm sure some of them wouldn't even freak out too hard about their play partner being the same kinda dude they are...

At least on "women only, all lesbian" sims the majority of them are okay with every other person there being the same as them, and they're probably over the whole hypocrisy of demanding their partner be genuine while they deceive. Too bad it leaves out women and lesbians, is all.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Too bad it leaves out women and lesbians, is all.

Yes, there are authentic lesbians in SL 'playing it real' and would like the courtesy of their partner not lying to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There is also some (deliberate?) confusion about the difference between cis men who represent in SL as women for any variety of reasons, one of which may be what you've described above, and trans women. Trans women are women, and therefore, yes, they can be lesbians.

There are no "safe spaces" for women in SL, if by that is meant a place where women are "safe" from engaging (in whatever way) with RL cis men. I'm not against the principle of such places, but this platform is, at a really foundational level, not built for that. "Your world, your imagination," right?

There are various ways in which one can, in one's one-on-one relations and negotiations with others, "assure" to some degree or another (mostly imperfectly) that the person with whom you are engaging is the kind of person they represent as, or that you "want" them to be. But to expect that someone will conform to one's own ideas of "proper" or "truthful" representation here is pointless and, moreover, constraining their imaginations.

To get this back on topic, there should absolutely be a kiosk or, if necessary, kiosks that cater to a wide range of sexual identities and orientations. Exploration of identity is one of the main draws of this place, and always has been -- which in turn means that that "gay" man you are engaging with may be living an entirely straight life in RL. I think that this platform's enabling of such explorations is one of its strengths, not a "flaw," and should be celebrated, and enabled through the provision of community gateways.

But if you are uneasy with the ambiguities of the relationship of someone's SL identity with their RL one, you're frankly on the wrong platform.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There is also some (deliberate?) confusion about the difference between cis men who represent in SL as women for any variety of reasons, one of which may be what you've described above, and trans women. Trans women are women, and therefore, yes, they can be lesbians.

There are no "safe spaces" for women in SL, if by that is meant a place where women are "safe" from engaging (in whatever way) with RL cis men. I'm not against the principle of such places, but this platform is, at a really foundational level, not built for that. "Your world, your imagination," right?

There are also cis women who represent as gay men so.we women aren't the only ones without a "safe space".

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

To get this back on topic, there should absolutely be a kiosk or, if necessary, kiosks that cater to a wide range of sexual identities and orientations.

This would fall under what I said earlier.  It's not LL's job to seek.out these communities.  If they want representation, and i think they should, they need to get together materials and apply for a position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I go away for two days and now this mess.

How about this? The community exhibition should have a gateway to an adult region that has an adult community exhibition. All sex-oriented stuff moves to the adult side.

(Maybe re-purpose and overhaul the useless Zindra Help Vortex, which is supposed to be an adult community exhibition but is mostly broken exhibits and a sandbox.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are also cis women who represent as gay men so.we women aren't the only ones without a "safe space".

Exactly so (although I've never run across that phenomenon before!). The point is that the platform itself is not built for such things.

This would fall under what I said earlier.  It's not LL's job to seek.out these communities.  If they want representation, and i think they should, they need to get together materials and apply for a position.

Sure? Although, while I'm not particularly conspiracy minded (not being a member of the FIC myself), I'm pretty sure that LL does actively engage in seeking out or at least "encouraging" particular communities to highlight themselves in this way. How did these currently featured groups hear about this initiative in the first place? None of the groups with whom I am closely involved (including some pretty large ones) knew anything about it.

And that's hardly surprising: the point of this new affordance is to strengthen SL.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Double negative!

10 minutes ago, animats said:

I go away for two days and now this mess.

How about this? The community exhibition should have a gateway to an adult region that has an adult community exhibition. All sex-oriented stuff moves to the adult side.

(Maybe re-purpose and overhaul the useless Zindra Help Vortex, which is supposed to be an adult community exhibition but is mostly broken exhibits and a sandbox.)

Kind of like the "ADULTS ONLY" back room at the old Video Rental stores.

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Since LL is targeting actual communities I'm not sure what they can do, or really should do to address an unknown number of individuals.

I don't know either but since they are being paid the big bucks to figure out ways of promoting SL to the masses, the ball is in their court how that should be done. They said:

As part of our effort to better connect virtual world newcomers with some of the best and most active inworld communities, we’re excited to debut an all-new expansion to the Hub 

Sure there are small communities within SL that would like more exposure but there are also some fairly large subcultures that attract a significant portion of residents that are not so organized that they would have individuals willing to apply for a booth and create a display. In those cases I feel SL itself maybe needs to at least point out their existence to others. They are after all the ones that will benefit at the end of the day.

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I don't know either but since they are being paid the big bucks to figure out ways of promoting SL to the masses, the ball is in their court how that should be done. They said:

Sure there are small communities within SL that would like more exposure but there are also some fairly large subcultures that attract a significant portion of residents that are not so organized that they would have individuals willing to apply for a booth and create a display. In those cases I feel SL itself maybe needs to at least point out their existence to others. They are after all the ones that will benefit at the end of the day.

What community would YOU like to see targeted?

21 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What community would YOU like to see targeted?

Well surely you know by now!

1. Community for a working mobile viewer

2. Community for a better Inventory interface

3. Community for pushing SL programmers to clear up long standing bugs

4. Community for the slowing of the ever increasing learning curve.

etc, etc.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Kind of like the "ADULTS ONLY" back room at the old Video Rental stores.

Oh, is THAT what was behind those curtains? I always wondered :)

BACK TO THE TOPIC...

I have submitted an application for a booth in the Second Life Communities Exhibition, that being a form you fill out.

It would be appreciated if some feedback could be given about the status of the application.

• Like 2

zindrahelpvortex.thumb.png.a7f103a23e938acec03723601f2798ad.png

The Zindra Help Vortex ("Vortex Adult Sandbox")

Run by the Zindra Vortex Group, created by Viale Linden. Are they still a LL employee?

This is Linden Lab's official introduction to its adult communities. "Out of Order" signs, broken teleporters, and a dispenser offering the Zindra Vortex News from 2012.

A major overhaul is in order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, animats said:

The Zindra Help Vortex ("Vortex Adult Sandbox")

Link please (can't find using inworld Search or web Destination Guide)

Found IT!   http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Vortex Adult Sandbox/128/120/23

I searched the world map for a region named Vortex

The teleporter is interesting. I teleported to a place called Hobo Slums which is a skybox in the same region. Nice teleporter FX.

Edited by diamond Marchant

14 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

And I'm off-topic again. >.<;

I shall have to remedy this by going to the Welcome Hub in a bit and posting some selfies taken at the Exhibit, or something. I'm kinda wondering who all is there today, anyway, I'm not used to being on this early. (<--- explains everything, huh?)

I'm knackered but I'll go there for a bit to keep you company. :) 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Oh, but before I go, I'll just say that if people are continually having to bring themselves back to the topic it might be because they have another topic that's ripe for discussing and is thus worth taking elsewhere.

Agreed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

It was a nice thread while it lasted, another fatality, among others, may we remember it with honor and dignity.

My school had a tradition of "Silver Taps", with multiple trumpets playing in harmony.

• Like 1

2024-02-05_15-47.png.5a0a6c3bea840235e9a4d3b26f00fe2a.png

Mini Map at the Welcome Hub. It's not dead, lol.

Hung out with Garnet a bit, loads of people around, and the Exhibit is looking spiffy.

Made friends with someone I've always admired, as a bonus. Some people don't even realize how legendary they are. This only makes it more of an honor to have them as friends.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 95 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.