Mediterranean Theme

Leora Greenwood

Some of the best parcels now may be in those regions closest to the Ranch regions. I think there's a very strong possibility of a waterway dividing the Ranch and Mediterranean regions, which means there won't be more homes built between them, just water, landscaping and possible roads or a train track. There's also a possibility of water rez zones.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

There's also a possibility of water rez zones.

Yeah. There's at least one water rez zone in the river already:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sesame/97/90/21

But that river ends to the south.

There's also probably a plan for something on that island between the two themes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Started working on the Mediterranean - Primavera home. I still have 1 room to finish (3/4 done) with the bathroom,  along with some landscaping left to finish up.

Mediterranean - Primavera  Kitchen

Mediterranean - Primavera Dining Room

Mediterranean - Primavera Dining Room

Mediterranean - Primavera Livingroom

Mediterranean - Primavera Master Bedroom

Mediterranean - Primavera Master Laundry Room

Mediterranean - Primavera Second Bedroom

Mediterranean - Primavera Second Bedroom

Mediterranean - Primavera Art & Music Room

Finished the Bathroom and did some light landscaping on the front and back yard.

Mediterranean - Primavera Bathroom

Mediterranean - Primavera Bathroom

Mediterranean - Primavera Front yard

Mediterranean - Primavera Backyard

Mediterranean - Primavera Back yard

Mediterranean - Primavera Backyard River View

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 21

58 minutes ago, PrudenceAnton said:

Started working on the Mediterranean - Primavera home. I still have 3 rooms to finish (3/4 done) the bathroom, art room, and second bedroom, along with some landscaping left to finish up.

Mediterranean - Primavera  Kitchen

All of these are absolutely stunning, amazing skills!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I'm curious, do the windows open on any of the Med model homes?  They have a lot of doors and light, but I do like to feel like fresh air is moving around.  Haven't noticed any windows that open yet.

Only the double patio doors (window type) open and close. The windows only have the blinds feature, they do not open.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Baiphen Quintessa said:

PrudenceAnton, which trees did you use? That's the issue I'm having with my landscaping. I'm leaning towards cactus and Joshua trees but I really would like a tree or two. It just looks so naked and they didn't include any trees in the content pack. 

The 2 tree types I used were these 2:

TLG - Classic Trees -Acacia Tree 15L (sized it down slightly to 12L)

TLG - Classic Trees -Bombadil Tree 7 LI

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

@Baiphen Quintessa

You could use olive trees and date palms too.

Cacti are not native to the Mediterranean. 

https://www.nwf.org/Educational-Resources/Wildlife-Guide/Plants-and-Fungi/Cacti#:~:text=Almost all genera of cacti,South Africa%2C and Mediterranean countries.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Very true. But since I have no "grass" on my plot the cactus don't look that bad. I am literally surrounded by the sand/seashell floor. My sister said that it reminded her of Zorro, so I went in that direction. Unfortunately I didn't come with Antonio Banderas. Dang it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I was picturing these as being set more in the Southwest. Especially as the content package contains cacti.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I had a weird visual jolt seeing cacti in the mole landscaping. They look nice though.
My sometimes literal brain gets very caught up in the naming of these home types. I wish they were not called Mediterranean as this is very confusing.

When I first saw this home type within second life I had them described to me as 'californian spanish style' and if I think of them that way everything seems to snap into place nicely. That probably doesn't cover it really but it stops my brain getting too caught up in dissonance.

• Like 5

Perhaps it is better to think of it as a style of architecture rather than a geographical location. 

7 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

When I first saw this home type within second life I had them described to me as 'californian spanish style' and if I think of them that way everything seems to snap into place nicely.

I grew up in California. I never heard this style of architecture called anything but Mediterranean or California Mission. It wasn't until I moved to Texas that heard it referred to as Spanish style.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Perhaps it is better to think of it as a style of architecture rather than a geographical location. 

I grew up in California. I never heard this style of architecture called anything but Mediterranean or California Mission. It wasn't until I moved to Texas that heard it referred to as Spanish style.

It absolutely is an architectural style, with very specific characteristics.  I spent most of my life in Texas, and it has always been known as Mediterranean to me, though Spanish Colonial also comes up from time to time.  

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-mediterranean-architecture-5072822

Edited by Matthieu Quander
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

It absolutely is an architectural style, with very specific characteristics.  I spent most of my life in Texas, and it has always been known as Mediterranean to me, though Spanish Colonial also comes up from time to time.  

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-mediterranean-architecture-5072822

It isn't Mediterranean architecture though.
It is completely its own thing, a style which grew up in the USA and had elements of design which have been adapted from other cultures.
The name only makes sense within the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

It is completely its own thing, a style which grew up in the USA and had elements of design which have been adapted from other cultures.

I'd be interested to see examples what you deem to be Mediterranean architecture. When I search Mediterranean architecture I get examples of ancient Roman and Greecian buildings or Mediterranean Revival buildings like those found in the US and many other parts of the world. Given what I believe you are implying then any buildings found in the geographical regions surrounding the Mediterranean would be deemed Mediterranean and not really a particular style of architecture. I don't find the new theme being named Mediterranean confusing at all but your limited version of it does confuse me.

5 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

That's exactly my point.  You may find some examples in Mediterranean countries, but the style wasn't born there, it merely borrowed design elements from there.  

Edited by Matthieu Quander

2 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

That's exactly my point.  You may find some examples in Mediterranean countries, but the style wasn't born there, it merely borrowed design elements from there.  

Yes, this is a US based style, and we all borrow from each other.

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I'd be interested to see examples what you deem to be Mediterranean architecture. When I search Mediterranean architecture I get examples of ancient Roman and Greecian buildings or Mediterranean Revival buildings like those found in the US and many other parts of the world. Given what I believe you are implying then any buildings found in the geographical regions surrounding the Mediterranean would be deemed Mediterranean and not really a particular style of architecture. I don't find the new theme being named Mediterranean confusing at all but your limited version of it does confuse me.

Blush, I don't know what to say, this might be a quirk of google, or it could be you would need to search for particular areas of countries which border the Med Sea as the area is so large and there isn't one kind of architecture which covers this vast sweep of cultures.
I copied this list of countries from wikipedia;

List of countries on the Mediterranean Sea[edit]

Below is the list of the countries and territories bordering the Mediterranean, listed clockwise from Gibraltar on the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula:

Southern European coast, from west to east

Western Asian coast, from north to south

Northern African coast, from east to west

I need to go do Christmas stuff so have probably run out of time to find examples. The American 'Mediterranean' style picks out Italy and Spain as the main influences (or so it seems) and there homes in the UK based on those, particularly spain which has been a popular holiday destination since the advent of cheap flights decades ago.
Even if someone from the uk couldn't come up with this whole list (and I couldn't!) they would probably be able to name the main holiday destinations all of which have quite varying architecture.

There is nothng wrong with having homes which are influenced by other cultures, and the USA med style is quite attractive, it's just that the word makes no sense because it picks out a very small selection of styles from a vast choice. It would be like, to use an exageration, saying my own home is an example of 'northern hemisphere architecture'.

editing in another example;

If second life was based in the UK, and the new 'McLinden' Home was advertised as 'American', and it was maybe a selection of ranch styles, you could quite rightly object to that and say 'hang on a minute, there isn't only one type of american home that name doesn't make sense!'.

Edited by Raspberry Crystal
extra example
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

Yes, this is a US based style, and we all borrow from each other.

Blush, I don't know what to say, this might be a quirk of google, or it could be you would need to search for particular areas of countries which border the Med Sea as the area is so large and there isn't one kind of architecture which covers this vast sweep of cultures.
I copied this list of countries from wikipedia;

List of countries on the Mediterranean Sea[edit]

Below is the list of the countries and territories bordering the Mediterranean, listed clockwise from Gibraltar on the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula:

Southern European coast, from west to east

Western Asian coast, from north to south

Northern African coast, from east to west

I need to go do Christmas stuff so have probably run out of time to find examples. The American 'Mediterranean' style picks out Italy and Spain as the main influences (or so it seems) and there homes in the UK based on those, particularly spain which has been a popular holiday destination since the advent of cheap flights decades ago.
Even if someone from the uk couldn't come up with this whole list (and I couldn't!) they would probably be able to name the main holiday destinations all of which have quite varying architecture.

There is nothng wrong with having homes which are influenced by other cultures, and the USA med style is quite attractive, it's just that the word makes no sense because it picks out a very small selection of styles from a vast choice. It would be like, to use an exageration, saying my own home is an example of 'northern hemisphere architecture'.

editing in another example;

If second life was based in the UK, and the new 'McLinden' Home was advertised as 'American', and it was maybe a selection of ranch styles, you could quite rightly object to that and say 'hang on a minute, there isn't only one type of american home that name doesn't make sense!'.

I am very aware of the countries found along the Mediterranean. Which was what I was getting at. There is a huge difference between a geographic location and that of an art style, which was developed paying homage to architectural elements found in a given location or a period of time. 

On 12/23/2023 at 1:18 AM, Raspberry Crystal said:

My sometimes literal brain gets very caught up in the naming of these home types. I wish they were not called Mediterranean as this is very confusing.

This is exactly my point. It sounds like you are saying that to name it after a style that was born in the US but uses Spanish and Italian influences is just out right wrong. This is an architectural style that was birthed nearly 100 years ago. So is your beef with those who named the style back in the 1930s? It certainly can't be LL's fault for using a widely popular and well established architectural style. 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

I don't think there is a known home architecture style known as simply "American".  So, the difference between your example and the Mediterranean theme is that in your case, LL would be inventing a new architectural style and calling it "American".  LL did not invent "Mediterranean" style homes - here is Architectural Digest's tour of the style. Your quarrel is not with LL, it is with whoever named this style of home. 

Oh, and the Bella Rosa/Vista home can scarcely be termed a McMansion.  I'm glad that LL has listened to feedback from users that we'd like a small footprint home in every theme.

• Like 5

It would probably be less frustrating if one doesn't take Second Life and minor details like theme names so seriously. This isn't the first time there has been protest about the "accuracy" of a theme's name. It seems odd to be to be quite that literal about this minor detail (which in this case, isn't inaccurate at all) in a world where we accept dragons and fairies without blinking an eye, a world where we can fly without need for aircraft, a world where we can change the size of our butts by clicking a slider.

Anyway, naming aside, the theme is interesting, though I'm not sure what I think about the landscaping. It's certainly a change from other themes, which is cool, but it makes me feel dusty 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 2