SLB20 Opening Ceremony Lab Gab - Announcements?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

When I was in school, math was actually my favorite subject.   

Ok, so...if the grand price is valued at $749 with let's say a 1000L stipend, the actually price would be?

Around $1000?

Edited by Rowan Amore

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Ok, so...if the grand price is valued at $749 with let's say a 1000L stipend, the actually price would be?

Around $1000?

1000L * 52 wks = 52000L at L$225 per $1, that equates to $231.11, so a total of $980.  

Regular Premium is $99 yr w/ 300L stipends.  300L for 52 wks = 15,600L.  At the same rate of L$225 per $1, that is $69.33, leaving the $99 price at roughly a $30 true cost/value.  That makes the $749 prize value be roughly 25 yrs of regular Premium.

That Lifetime thing needs to definitely be lots more than what we get at Premium level to even come close to being worth it.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

BTW, was no one else surprised at the announcement that LL is giving away an actual CAR??

In talking about what LL wanted to accomplish with this Birthday (at about 6 minutes into the speech) Patch said: 

Visually, we wanted to create a landscape which focused on a future where we live in harmony with the environment. 

I imagine this design criteria contributed to the decision to give away an e-car.  Talk about putting your money where your mouth is!     

Incidentally, Patch's speech also included several references to second life as a place where "fantasy and reality intersect". He stated:

Just as Walt Disney envisioned a world where dreams come true, Second Life continues to be a place where dreams and reality are re-imagined, realized, and acted out.   .... ... ...

Now we stand on the brink of a new era of virtual reality.

So I'm thinking that LL's ideas about a "Fantastic Future" include more partnerships with RL companies, and keeping a close eye on VR (to be expected with Philip once more in the mix). 

Incidentally, the few words that Patch actually SAID about lifetime premium occur right after 9:30 in his speech.  Basically, after giving a single hint, he said to check his Monday Lab Gab.

• Like 5

I think it’s always good to see more membership options whether they are suited for me or not. I’m happy so far with Premium Plus, it has aligned with what I’m currently wanting to do, other that wishing for the 2048 Linden Homes to arrive sooner. But I’m not opposed to looking at something else either, if a Lifetime account or other option had more or different incentives. 

• Like 1

I was sad not to see the 2048 houses which have supposedly been in the work for almost a year. Not that "I" was going to use them but there were so many folks that signed up for PP BECAUSE of the promise of those houses "soon".  A year is not soon so that bothers me a lot. 

The Moles have been doing great work though so THAT'S a plus.   

Hopefully the promises for the future will be here before the next birthday comes around. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The opening was just a brief opening thing. It doesn't mean that's everything they're going to announce during the event. It'd be pretty weird for them not to mention the new theme area they're building at some point. We can see it on the map. They've got to admit it eventually.

Edited by Polenth Yue
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Patch's speech was carefully prepared, so no slip-ups were possible.  The thing I found interesting was the only new item worth mentioning at the opening speech was another subscription scheme to extract high dollar amounts from some loyal residents, and in the very near future.  Just like Premium Plus was ready the minute it was announced last year at SL19B.

We know what LL priorities are - quick dollars.  Not that this is anything we all did not know before. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I was sad not to see the 2048 houses which have supposedly been in the work for almost a year. Not that "I" was going to use them but there were so many folks that signed up for PP BECAUSE of the promise of those houses "soon".  A year is not soon so that bothers me a lot. 

The Moles have been doing great work though so THAT'S a plus.   

Hopefully the promises for the future will be here before the next birthday comes around. 

What surprises me, is that there are parcels ready for 2048 m homes in the new Welcome Hub. 

I do not remember where I read it, but can the PPlus homes be revealed later in the celebration? Next week? Have LL done it before with a theme?

What I can remember, is that the word "soon" was not used about the houses. They used very convoluted language. "The houses may at best come late in 2022". (Not a quote, but as I understood the PPlus benefits) Since then, LL have not even hinted about a possible date for the houses.

I am too careful with my money to give over a cent before I see them and can decide if they are worth it. If I buy PPlus, the homes will be the main reason. 

• Like 2

I am very, very sceptical to buy lifetime anything in SL now.

Of course I will see the price before I decide, but I am not sure that SL will last so many years. It will have to be a gamble for me.

I have become so frugal about money. Maybe excessively frugal. I worry that the most inept government since WW2 is running the economy to the ground. They have already started well, increasing taxes, the interest rate is going up, the price on food and electricity is going up, and the value of the currency is sinking like a rock. (I am not living in the US)

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I do not remember where I read it, but can the PPlus homes be revealed later in the celebration? Next week? Have LL done it before with a theme?

I seem to remember the new Linden Home regions being blocked and hidden before the official announcement before.  I would guess that the 2048 homes will suddenly rezz on the SL20B Welcome Hub LH parcel just before or after this Lab Gab meeting with Patch and the Moles:  The Moles (June 30 at 1:30pm PT)

If earlier, than a first mention during Patch's Lab Gab on June 26 at 1:30pm PT.

They are waiting because Patch and Abnor love surprises and drama.  When PP members can actually move into the 2048's is anyone's guess.  It does seem that an area near the Belli Stilt homes could be their first location just one region from Squeegee to Glory.  This is no secret - there are topics in the Linden Homes section about the new regions, which are presently hidden from us mortals.

NewBelli2048HomeMap.thumb.png.f31dc0dcf9c3c6a71d163460966754af.png

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

if they need new subscription levels, i guess the last change wasn't very successfull, we had to beg many years for more choice, and now again getting more without asking?
First of all.. give what you promised for the ones we already have please.

I'm mostly not that positive with announcemts like these, it's proven to be presented as shiny golden bars, but in the end it's mostly just polished copper, losing the shiny part fast. and you end with a dime instead of a dollar.

IF there comes a lifetime membership, please be cool this time and make that all is offered with it, is ready and available.
Don't make it, again, a goal to get as much money as possible to make the books shiny for new investors.
Or worse.. we'r  in the window again.. ( or soon)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Patch's speech was carefully prepared, so no slip-ups were possible.  The thing I found interesting was the only new item worth mentioning at the opening speech was another subscription scheme to extract high dollar amounts from some loyal residents, and in the very near future.  Just like Premium Plus was ready the minute it was announced last year at SL19B.

We know what LL priorities are - quick dollars.  Not that this is anything we all did not know before. 

I thought maybe the speech was written by ChatGPT.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Around $1000?

It's a smart idea for LL, get old farts (like me) to buy "lifetime" memberships. Old farts (like me) only live about 15-20 years, so LL makes out like a bandit! Benefit for users is 1-time payment, so if your fixed income gets tight at least your LL is already paid. 

• Like 5

I'm not gifted to see in the future, who can tell how their live looks in 3 years or even the day after tomorrow?
So for me there is no reason whatsoever to pay upfront for very long term use.
I mean, Second Life isn't in the essential category like my RL apartment or car.
One year upfront is the longest I will go for an Internet experience like SL or a game.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if they need new subscription levels, i guess the last change wasn't very successfull, we had to beg many years for more choice, and now again getting more without asking?

So, if someone introduces a new product that means the old one wasn't successful? Does that mean that Hindustan Motors was the most successful car company in the world in the second half of the 20th century?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm not gifted to see in the future, who can tell how their live looks in 3 years or even the day after tomorrow?
So for me there is no reason whatsoever to pay upfront for very long term use.
I mean, Second Life isn't in the essential category like my RL apartment or car.
One year upfront is the longest I will go for an Internet experience like SL or a game.

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It's a smart idea for LL, get old farts (like me) to buy "lifetime" memberships. Old farts (like me) only live about 15-20 years, so LL makes out like a bandit! Benefit for users is 1-time payment, so if your fixed income gets tight at least your LL is already paid. 

I am, quite frankly, not sure that SL has 10 years left.

That is my worry, to pay now and think SL will last many more years. I pay a large amount and think that after year 5, I live SL for free. Land and stipend, the good retirement plan.

What if SL has only 3 years left... The world economy is very frightning. Can a leisure activity as SL survive? Especially if we start to shop less, we do not rent large plots of land, we abandon what we have of mainland and move to a tiny skybox. LL need the income from land and shopping.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.