A Suggestion on Improving Mainland

Annie Evergreen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:
1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Also get rid of every linden mole "contribution" to the mainland that isn't made with mesh. Just delete. They don't have to live with it on Belli so why should we? 

Totally disagree. The best Mole builds by far were prim based. Many of the Mole's mesh builds have been… educational for their shortcomings.

Aren't all the legacy LH's prim?

ETA: OMG all my favorite legacy places and things are Prim still. (Luna, etc.)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Aren't all the legacy LH's prim?

Apart from some sculpty content, yeah. Not sure those would be my first choice of examples, but they beat some of the mesh stuff I've seen, with crazy complex geometry. The early mesh stuff was particularly bad, but still some of their models are marginal, to be generous. (It wasn't I who first commented on the flags given out for the first SL20B hunt prize. Rez one and marvel.)

• Like 2

While we're tossing out old content, though, I nominate many of the original Linden plants, starting with that Eucalyptus monster. I realize they have a Land Impact of only 1 so I'm not sure what magic needs to be wielded to replace them, but those in particular really need the chainsaw treatment.

[ETA: This isn't to nuke the content from the grid universally or anything, but rather the Moles could improve Mainland by replacing many if not all of those Eucalyptus trees on Linden land. It's a pretty rare Plumeria that couldn't stand a pruning, too.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Also get rid of every linden mole "contribution" to the mainland that isn't made with mesh. Just delete. They don't have to live with it on Belli so why should we? 

Arghh! Then in RL let's just bulldoze Stonehenge and the Pyramids and....sorry.

I'm very fond of all those old SL prim and sculpt builds because they are a part of our history. 

Edited by Rufferta
Trying not to start a fight.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

100% this.

It will never happen because "it's historical" .. the only people who care, are those who don't have to look at it  aging like fine milk left out in the sun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I think that's a bit harsh. Prim roads & other builds can be fine. Some of the plants are fine too. I think most of the weeds on land could go, though they look fine underwater. Some sculpted trees could go, since they rez slowing and don't look great anyway.

Edited by Persephone Emerald

On 6/20/2023 at 9:20 PM, 4lice Cerise said:

This happened for the easternmost section of The Shortcut, on Jeogeot — see https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-231165 — it took six months to be attended to, though, and indeed the JIRA ticket is still marked as accepted but still unresolved.

But if you look at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nangrim/194/146/22 you'll see there's more occupancy there now than there was when the ticked was filled: It sure seem to be one of the ways to go about improving Mainland from individual user’s perspective.

I could be wrong but I think that was the section that wasn't officially paved and had been used for 'greenlaning'. I know the yavapods went up a “protected land” shortcut that was never paved

2 hours ago, Rufferta said:

Arghh! Then in RL let's just bulldoze Stonehenge and the Pyramids and....sorry.

I'm very fond of all those old SL prim and sculpt builds because they are a part of our history. 

They're ugly. And they're not Stonehenge. And they're not the pyramids 

LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

100% this.

It will never happen because "it's historical" .. the only people who care, are those who don't have to look at it  aging like fine milk left out in the sun.

I am very pleased with the view from my parcel of a Governor Linden prim build

Snapshot_002.thumb.jpg.7bb3cfa870dc5deb18dcd7b991a284c1.jpg

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Please play another game. Anything really.

The only thing impressive about hat build is it's scale. Because most of us can't afford to build at that scale.

Why should I play another game? how rude and insulting.

What I find impressive, and my visitors probably varies by person. Some may like the Classism, the "Acropolis like" form of the build from my parcel's viewpoint, some might cam in and enjoy the little details like the Pathfinder Lester or Seifert Surface objects. Some might just like it because it is protected water.

It doesn't need to be impressive or look like it is from another game, it would be out of place if it did. 

It just needs to look good and look interesting. It fulfils that function fine to my taste.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 14

Some of the loudest complainers about Mole builds here clearly don't actually spend much time on mainland.

Not only do Mole builds represent only a tiny fraction of mainland, to the point where removing them would barely have any effect on the overall aesthetic, but plenty of them still look a lot better than a lot of resident parcels on mainland, regardless of the fact that they're made of nasty old prims.

Since I'm not seeing a blanket call to remove all residents "ugly" stuff, I don't see the need to target Mole builds, which at the very least offer some interesting places to visit for people who actually spend their time on the mainland.

Excuse me now whilst I grab a chair and relax at this lovely Mole-made area :P

kingspost.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Some of the loudest complainers about Mole builds here clearly don't actually spend much time on mainland.

Not only do Mole builds represent only a tiny fraction of mainland, to the point where removing them would barely have any effect on the overall aesthetic, but plenty of them still look a lot better than a lot of resident parcels on mainland, regardless of the fact that they're made of nasty old prims.

Since I'm not seeing a blanket call to remove all residents "ugly" stuff, I don't see the need to target Mole builds, which at the very least offer some interesting places to visit for people who actually spend their time on the mainland.

Excuse me now whilst I grab a chair and relax at this lovely Mole-made area :P

I still don't understand why so many people hate prim buildings. Mesh  buildings are totally over rated. Give me prims any day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/12/2023 at 7:58 AM, Qie Niangao said:

The goal is to appreciate content of different generations (and styles, etc.) 

No it's not, nobody new is going to appreciate old stuff that doesn't look good. They're just going to think it's a crap platform. Put all that stuff in a mole museum if enough people want  that but get it off the grid. 

• Like 1

No it's not, nobody new is going to appreciate old stuff that doesn't look good. They're just going to think it's a crap platform. Put all that stuff in a mole museum if enough people want  that but get it off the grid. 

The problem with the "nobody" and "everyone" statements is that they're wrong.  You speak only for yourself.

I enjoy exploring around and just finding the occasional hidden old builds.  I am somebody.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Who is going to decide what looks good and what doesn't look good? 

Here is a 'Mole Build' from 2009. I'd take it over many a modern mesh structure.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bhima/145/83/43 (Poster from my Mole Museum)

Snapshot _ Mole Lido, Bhima (174, 56, 42) - Moderate.jpg

Edited by Rufferta
Usual second thoughts.
  • Like 7

53 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

Who is going to decide what looks good and what doesn't look good? 

The people paying tier on it. 😉

says the gal who pays tier on 2 ‘legacy builds’ (though in a private region, it’s true - but I’ve considered relocating one to a Mainland parcel - and still may). 

edit: if it’s Mole-built, then LL, as they paid the Moles to build all of it. 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

The problem with the "nobody" and "everyone" statements is that they're wrong.  You speak only for yourself

I'm not speaking for anyone. Prim objects look old because they are old. They objectively don't look good in comparison to today's good content. You can cherry pick anecdotal examples where this isn't the case  but for the most part, as sl gets upgrades, the content gets better when it's made by people who know what they're doing.  

A new user is going to fly  by that stuff and wonder why sl looks so garbage compared to other games. While it may have some other significance for you other than aesthetics. 

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.