Calling this a Forum, is like Calling the Local Morning News Program, News

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Always the possibility that those who don't see a problem are part of the problem.

I have no idea whom you might be fingering as "part of the problem," Arielle, but I'd agree that there are occasions when we, collectively, are a little quick to jump all over new posters.

The "problem," insofar as there is one, is that forums have developed their own expectations and culture, and noobs posting here often violate those without knowing it.

Or, as I say, they are themselves jackasses, which certainly happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have no idea whom you might be fingering as "part of the problem," Arielle, but I'd agree that there are occasions when we, collectively, are a little quick to jump all over new posters.

The "problem," insofar as there is one, is that forums have developed their own expectations and culture, and noobs posting here often violate those without knowing it.

Or, as I say, they are themselves jackasses, which certainly happens.

At the top of every section there are stickied posts for the community guidelines, which are the expectations of the overlords for the forum and therefore the only ones we need to follow. Those noobs who come in and post in the forums, should have a reasonable expectation of being able to do so as long as they follow the etiquette listed in those guidelines. What some long-term forumites think it should be is of no consequence in spite of their tendency to try to dictate how and what others should post. Sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea if the lab would put posters with more than 10,000 posts or x amount of years out into pasture. Forums may have become an addiction for them so maybe they need a gentle nudge to get out and get a life, preferably of course, a Second Life!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Those noobs who come in and post in the forums, should have a reasonable expectation of being able to do so as long as they follow the etiquette listed in those guidelines.

In general, I don't disagree -- although every community develops its own culture and way of doing things. I don't think that's a bad thing at all. It only becomes an issue when (and I think it's pretty rare here, even if it does happen) we immediately criticize or ostracize those who may not subscribe, or even yet know that culture.

Overall, though, I agree that we should be tolerant of different approaches. Mostly, I think we are.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You weren't talking about Silent? Maybe she thought so?

Ambiguous posts are ambiguous!

Well, yes. It's pretty simple: I don't understand her reference. And I certainly wasn't talking about her.

Simply put, I'm asking for a clarification.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, yes. It's pretty simple: I don't understand her reference. And I certainly wasn't talking about her.

Simply put, I'm asking for a clarification.

Happened to me, too! After a lengthy explanation, I got no response.  In the Peeve thread, no less! 

At least Friday is almost here.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In general, I don't disagree -- although every community develops its own culture and way of doing things. I don't think that's a bad thing at all. It only becomes an issue when (and I think it's pretty rare here, even if it does happen) we immediately criticize or ostracize those who may not subscribe, or even yet know that culture.

Overall, though, I agree that we should be tolerant of different approaches. Mostly, I think we are.

Often the noobs in question are long-term veterans of second life already but just not frequent posters in the forums. I disagree that they should be aware of or need to acknowledge supposed different cultures within the areas of second Life up to and including the various sections of the forum itself. Especially now when the guidelines stipulate all forum postings should be about SL. Being an  SL resident is the  denominator that ties us all together and that as such a part of the culture already, not something that the new old poster should have to take into account when operating in a different area of the platform then they are normally in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I disagree that they should be aware of or need to acknowledge supposed different cultures within the areas of second Life up to and including the various sections of the forum itself.

You're over-determining what I said if you're implying that I suggested that new people need to genuflect or conform to a dominant culture.

Should they make themselves aware of it? Well, if they're going to post more than a handful of times, yes. I wouldn't walk into a room, or into any other cultural context, and just run roughshod over everyone and everything there. That's almost the definition of the "ugly tourist." And I think it's civil and polite to acknowledge that culture -- even if you are intent on trespassing its norms. I'm not suggesting everyone needs to conform: I'm suggesting that they're being dicks if they just don't care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty much all online discussion forums (or fora, if you're particular) tend to be mostly toxic in one way or another. I blame human nature.

I do think we all need to be more open minded - and specifically, we should accept and embrace the fact that ALL pizza is good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since I have been on the internet decades ago, forums were like this: partly very helpfull with people who answer questions seriously and partly people who want to chat socially. Of course, there are other places for that, but for as long as I have been experiencing forums, they also have that social function. And where there are people, there are groups, that too I know from before, not only from the SL forums. I have experienced quarrels and near-wars on forums in which worse things were said than I have ever read here. Having grown older and wiser, I only look for the places in the forums where I feel at home, where I feel taken seriously and where I get serious answers to questions I have, where I can give answers to serious questions myself but where I also meet residents I like and have a good time with.

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 3

This forum isn't much use but then that's because it's official and there's a lot of stuff people probably want to talk about that they can't.

Thing is though there doesn't seem to be any unofficial forums either. Forums are pretty dead online in general but there's also an assumption people have just moved onto different platforms but I don't know if that's true, if it is then I have no clue where those places may be. Online discussion in general just seems to be dying.

7 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Thing is though there doesn't seem to be any unofficial forums either.

One unofficial forum that was highly recommended to me is "www.virtualverse.one".  It is so popular, that there were many posts on this Forum when that one went down due to the owner being unavailable.  It seems friendly and has less strict moderation.

I am not certain why, but people seem reluctant on this Forum to mention the alternatives.  It could be due to some TOS rule I am unaware of.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Twitter, discord, Facebook ..... not my beer, but they are busy places for sure.

Reddit, Twitch, Mastodon, Slack, TikTok, YouTube livestream chat (best avoided), Instagram, Steam discussion boards, chat apps, dating sites/apps, game and developer-specific forums that are always hopping - especially when stuff breaks and things get nerfed, self-employed/freelancer forums, on and on. We outchea 😄.

As for SL discussion, I only know of three current non-Discord places - the other forum, drama central, and the subreddit. The forum and subreddit are pretty active.

As for Discord, there's no official SL server (there should be!), but the head and body brands usually have their own, as well as stores, events, bigger shopping groups, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

One unofficial forum that was highly recommended to me is "www.virtualverse.one".  It is so popular, that there were many posts on this Forum when that one went down due to the owner being unavailable.  It seems friendly and has less strict moderation.

I am not certain why, but people seem reluctant on this Forum to mention the alternatives.  It could be due to some TOS rule I am unaware of.

Neat, I'll take a look. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Twitter, discord, Facebook ..... not my beer, but they are busy places for sure.

Very little actual discussion happening on any of them, it's that Web 2.0 thing... people have more platforms than ever but apparently a lot less to say.

I miss forums

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 9:23 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

There are no prizes for getting threads moderated or punted into the sin bin, or worse.

So you're basically trolling and hoping to bait people out of position so they can be reported.

This is like joining a ball room dancing class, complaining there isn't enough moshing, insulting those present who do understand the rules and then calling the cops on anyone who complains.

There are other places to talk about SL you know .. although honestly, I don't suggest you being this ranting trolling to the Reddit sub, our rules are more strictly enforced than here.

This is why I don't use the SL subreddit, because it's unofficial and heavily moderated to the detriment of residents being able to have lively discussions. I prefer Discord/twitter and anywhere away from moderation by a small group of people.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AzureWaves said:

This is why I don't use the SL subreddit, because it's unofficial and heavily moderated to the detriment of residents being able to have lively discussions. I prefer Discord/twitter and anywhere away from moderation by a small group of people.

Well considering we mainly only remove or ban for crypto-spam, actual trolling, hate speech and deliberately trying to encourage people to break the tos, post copybotted content or sell hacked accounts. I'm not sure what kind of "lively discussions" you're hoping to have about SL that we wouldn't permit .. anyway .. The rest of reddit has all the forum you might need for ethically questionable debates that don't need be burdened by being about SL.

Or did I ban you already 😘

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.