Calling this a Forum, is like Calling the Local Morning News Program, News

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/3/2023 at 10:19 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

One unofficial forum that was highly recommended to me is "www.virtualverse.one".  It is so popular, that there were many posts on this Forum when that one went down due to the owner being unavailable.  It seems friendly and has less strict moderation.

I am not certain why, but people seem reluctant on this Forum to mention the alternatives.  It could be due to some TOS rule I am unaware of.

In my case, it's a hold-over from days gone by, when there was a threat of losing your account if you were banned from this forum. Honestly, I'm not sure that isn't still the case ...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Han Held said:

In my case, it's a hold-over from days gone by, when there was a threat of losing your account if you were banned from this forum. Honestly, I'm not sure that isn't still the case ...

This is why VV came into existence.

I honestly don't know if this is still the case ... or that it offered any actual account protection. I can think of one external website where it didn't ... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This is why VV came into existence.

I honestly don't know if this is still the case ... or that it offered any actual account protection.

SLU pre-dates the "SL ban for Forum ban" policy. It dates back to 2004 or so and I don't think there's anyone around except Cris who can speak to what motivated its' creation. SLU, of course, became VV1.

Circa 2006 or so there was some drama or another which led to the creation of Second Citizen (which has it's own drama, and has now closed) an SL forum that co-existed with SLU, then later there were others with varying degrees of activity. At one point you probably had 4 or 5 SL-oriented forums coexisting. VV1 comes from that era, and that ecosystem, and is unrelated to what we're talking about -though some people (raises hand) decided to focus their posting efforts to there after the policies became sketchier here.

The fact I'm here (and to date unbanned) is the tasting that is the proof of the pudding.

Edited by Han Held
typo potrtol
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The next logical step for LL will be ditching the forums all together.
It is hardly worth the effort from a business point of view to keep this zoo open.
I mean, how many frequently active posters are there left?  50-ish at best IMHO. And for that they have to pay a few people to moderate it.
There is very little gain for LL left, to keep this part of their web community running.
I wouldn't be surprised if the announcement was made withing the next few years, that the forums go into read only mode as archive function.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

There is very little gain for LL left, to keep this part of their web community running.
I wouldn't be surprised if the announcement was made withing the next few years, that the forums go into read only mode as archive function.

Irony: The OP flounced because people disagreed with them. People who disagreed with them were Linden Lab supporters and "shills".  I assume this must be "just fine" on the non-LL Forums.

Is THAT the kind of Forum you want? Where people are basically attacked because they don't agree with you?  If attacking people who disagree is fine on the non-LL Forums, is that a utopia we should be flocking to?

It is hardly worth the effort from a business point of view to keep this zoo open.
I mean, how many frequently active posters are there left?  50-ish at best IMHO. And for that they have to pay a few people to moderate it.

You imply that a "few people" are paid for moderation as if that is their only job.  I not-so-humbly submit that the Forum Moderators probably only spend a tiny bit of their "working time" in the Forums, and only if posts are "reported" or rise to the top of some "alert" system (due to high post activity in the thread, multiple "reports", etc.). 

If the latest, coming-soon mobile features really "take off" and draw a large number of new users, a Forum will be needed more than ever.

• Like 1

The attitude on this forum part of the community section is very negative at the moment IMHO. A few examples:
- A lot of the sparsely appearing new posters are bitched away after their first question, depending on who reacts first.
- Look how much negativity your recent film trailer post accumulated based on less than 1 minute film fragments.
- Look at the venom spread the last weeks in the pet peeve thread.

If they handed me the keys of SL ("Here you go Sid, you are the SEO now")  closing the forums would be high on my priority list. Critical views are good, can help a lot but pure negativity isn't. And the latter is happening a lot these days. The forums don't add to a possitive experience around and about SL these days.

Plus the way it is moderated here at times..... I can't discuss, due to the forum rules, but you get the picture as a full time regular.

About the other SL related forums: I only know VV1 and the atmosphere is way more relaxed over there than here at the moment, but sadly SL isn't the core business of that forum anymore. And that tells a story too I guess: There is very little new to discuss about SL related stuff.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Why not?
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The attitude on this forum part of the community section is very negative at the moment IMHO. A few examples:
- A lot of the sparsely appearing new posters are bitched away after their first question, depending on who reacts first.

Ironically, my first thought on the above was, "Boy, a lot of 'new posters' tend to post really negative stuff!" In those cases, as a "net supporter, I hope that any response I give is more "Hey! Second Life is Great!" than, "you dummy, why did you ask something so dumb?"

23 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

- Look how much negativity your recent film trailer post accumulated based on less than 1 minute film fragments.

On this point, I had a very interesting (to me) thought:  I had to go back several times so far and make sure my original post in that thread was NOT "critical of the film".  My post may have been "inferred" by others to be critical, but I did not mean to "imply" criticism of the film itself by asking, "Who was this for?".  So yeah, here I agree.  

25 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

- Look at the venom spread the last weeks in the pet peeve thread.

Lately, I see the Pet Peeve thread as a lot of complaining about other people / posts.  I have been caught doing that myself!  Not sure how that started, but perhaps some of the complainers are feeling "entitled to complain"?  I thought Rolig had an awesome point by posting a peeve based on an XKCD cartoon that some people (Guilty!) can't seem to walk away without posting  because "someone was wrong".  I suppose the less we use our "filters", the more this happens.  

29 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Plus the way it is moderated here at times..... I can't discuss, due to the forum rules, but you get the picture as a full time regular.

Yep and of course, this is part of what really bugs some of the newbies.  ("Why do I need to filter?!?" * ragequit *)

31 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

About the other SL related forums: I only know VV1 and the atmosphere is way more relaxed over there than here at the moment, but sadly SL isn't the core business of that forum anymore.

I was thinking, if there was only a way to self-select the "good guys" over to VV1 and the "true trolls" over to "virtual secrets".  We wouldn't need this here place!  

32 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

And that tells a story too I guess: There is very little new to discuss about SL related stuff.

It's fine if we disagree on this or any other point.  Short version: New mesh bodies (NUX), new Linden Homes, new scripting options, new graphics models, new mobile viewer, new "real time" capture systems, new use of ChatGPT in Second Life, new rules for Scripted Agents...I'd give a better list but you really know it already.  (Last time I gave a "good" list I was called out as a "shill" LOL!)  I suppose that if none of the "new" stuff interests you, sure.  "There is nothing new under the Sun."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

It's funny you mention this, because I've been noticing a bit of a slowdown in activity in all of my SL-related Discord channels lately. I figured it was just a seasonal thing. I'm so not good at noticing trends and I have no idea if this happens yearly or not, but even servers that used to be absolutely bustling with chatter are only seeing a few messages per day (if that).

The forum itself has been slow, too, but that happens from time to time, so I didn't pay much attention to that. It's a pretty useful resource in general, so I hope it sticks around.

There is very little new to discuss about SL related stuff.

There's some, but we're just in limbo waiting for it all and I guess we're all talked out, lol. Not just the LL stuff, but things being promised by big designers, too. None of what's on the horizon interests me in the slightest (it's all stuff I can get elsewhere right now), but there is some enthusiasm here and there - though the longer people wait, the more that interest wanes (which would also explain why people are drifting away from some Discord discussions for the time being).

Since this is the feedback forum, I guess I should leave some - maybe toss a link to the forum right on the splash page/homepage. I know you can get to it by scrolling down and clicking on Join Friends (and then scrolling down from there), but putting it front and center in the navbar might encourage more people to check it out.

Also, maybe a slightly less restrictive newbie posting policy would keep some coming back. I've had some IM me in-world on occasion because they ran out of posts for the day and needed help with their avies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes, "no news is good news".  A state of "normalcy" means "nothing new to complain about", etc. 🙂  

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Also, maybe a slightly less restrictive newbie posting policy would keep some coming back. I've had some IM me in-world on occasion because they ran out of posts for the day and needed help with their avies.

Wow! I forgot new users had a limited post count. I also still remember there are a few special users who don't have to wait 60 seconds between posts.

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Since this is the feedback forum, I guess I should leave some - maybe toss a link to the forum right on the splash page/homepage. I know you can get to it by scrolling down and clicking on Join Friends (and then scrolling down from there), but putting it front and center in the navbar might encourage more people to check it out.

This is a good idea, "Ask the Community", etc.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I THINK this only happens (nastygrams from Moles/Lindens on the Forums) when someone reports your posts.

So, somebody out there "sat on a tack".

I've recently had posts removed which I'm sure were reported yet haven't received a message from a Mole.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I THINK this only happens (nastygrams from Moles/Lindens on the Forums) when someone reports your posts.

Well there seem to be a fair few of those on the forums currently. Why can't they just use the block feature and p1ss off. (And again I will say, this block/ignore feature needs to be two way.)

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've recently had posts removed which I'm sure were reported yet haven't received a message from a Mole.  

Good point.

USUALLY, when a Mole removes a "string" of posts, they add a post acknowledging they did it (in my limited experience).

And USUALLY if you didn't get a message, it was because someone else's post triggered the "cascading cleanup" (in my limited experience).

If posts get deleted and there is some "cascading cleanup" but the Moles don't post about the fact they did it, that's a little unusual. (Sometimes they come back after the cleanup and post about it, of course.)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.