Calling this a Forum, is like Calling the Local Morning News Program, News

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 5/29/2023 at 8:58 AM, Mariusz Ivanovic said:

This is pretty much the perspective you get of SL reading these forums.

These are corporate forums for a corporate platform. Marketing is a part of running any business and so much of it is for show — far more hype than substance. And likewise some people insist on being part of the show, self-importance makes a lot of ppl's worlds go 'round. What would happen if they stopped carrying on? OP would seem smart enough to realize this, but occasionally it still needs to be pointed out.

Edited by Ineffable Mote
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Ineffable Mote said:

And likewise some people insist on being part of the show, self-importance makes a lot of ppl's worlds go 'round.

These forums were a far freer platform for open discussion not that long ago. Oh the sprawling fist fights we had ... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

If those Gold, Silver and Bronze awards had $L rewards, I might post more. 

Thank goodness there are no L$ rewards for posting.  Otherwise we would have a lot more people making a bunch of inane posts just for the sake of posting and getting Likes.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The forums are, what they are.
In the end it means take it for what it is and participate or don't and find another place where you fit in better.

Or maybe go play Get The Freight Out?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Or maybe go play Get The Freight Out?

Telling people to GTFO really is the height of the average SL customer's mental, emotional and social skills. It's looong been that way and stretches far beyond the forums.

Edited by Ineffable Mote
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Thank goodness there are no L$ rewards for posting.  Otherwise we would have a lot more people making a bunch of inane posts just for the sake of posting and getting Likes.

I'm not going to stop my inane postings until I have the same number of posts you and @Rowan Amore have ... combined! So there :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ineffable Mote said:

Telling people to GTFO really is the height of the average SL customer's mental, emotional and social skills. It's looong been that way and stretches far beyond the forums.

Get The Freight Out is a game played in Second Life.  Check it out!  I'm not telling anybody to leave, not even you, for not knowing there is a game with a ... weird name.

Okay, let me explain myself here.  I could have, and probably should have, selected another game with a name that might not be misconstrued.  FROOTCAKE is the one I used to suggest when people maybe need a break from the community.secondlife.com and the acerbic behavior perpetrated within.  Unfortunately, that game seems to have ceased to be available, so I picked a game that I am currently hearing people talk about.  Pick another if it is not to your liking?

I wonder if I should put my FROOTCAKE table out on publicly accessible land for people to play.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2023 at 6:33 PM, Ineffable Mote said:

These are corporate forums for a corporate platform. Marketing is a part of running any business and so much of it is for show — far more hype than substance.

This is always a userful thing to remember when having nostolgia about 'community'. I mean how many times has LL taken a weed-whacker to these forums already? Three or four times that I can think of (twice on the old vbulliten-or-whatever forums, then twice after switching to whatever this is).

This is a community in the sense there are long time members who know and recognize each other; but at the end of the day? It's a corporate platform sponsored for the sake of promotion and marketing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ineffable Mote said:

Thank ***** you're not an SL customer -or is it that you're not the "average" one? (more mean than average perhaps?)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Han Held said:

Thank ***** you're not an SL customer -or is it that you're not the "average" one? (more mean than average perhaps?)

I thought they were referring to the game, GTFO!

0B0D54A8-65D1-4599-AF74-0AA92E53DABD.jpeg

*Edit* Darn, I was trying not to post in this thread and forgot! In my defense, it's only 3am here. Oh well, guess I "broke the seal". Wheeee! 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What?

Maybe joke ad for giant cereal is joke? 
Is difficult to follow, given the response. 

Lemme see, connecting it to the thread: cereal, giant cereal, giant Forum threads are serialized sugary goodness, possibly best consumed in the morning (and probably not good for you).

How'd I do?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe joke ad for giant cereal is joke? 
Is difficult to follow, given the response. 

Lemme see, connecting it to the thread: cereal, giant cereal, giant Forum threads are serialized sugary goodness, possibly best consumed in the morning (and probably not good for you).

How'd I do?

I'm always a bit dismayed when I read this kind of reaction to the forum. Sometimes, it means we've failed. (Although sometimes it means the person is a jackass, too.)

But there are also so many busy parts of this forum with their own dramas and culture, like the Land Forum, that I rarely visit that it's hard to know what is being referred to.

I honestly had a difficult time working out exactly what the OP was saying, though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I honestly had a difficult time working out exactly what the OP was saying, though.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the Forum, I pulled my analysis out of my tail-hole!

ETA: I remember now, the cereal was a giant "Fruit Loop"; the poster was referencing a previous post about some SL game called "Frootloop". I hope that helps!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

*Edit* Darn, I was trying not to post in this thread and forgot! In my defense, it's only 3am here. Oh well, guess I "broke the seal". Wheeee! 

At least you don't need to worry about the OP coming back and commenting on your comment.  😁

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:
5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

At least you don't need to worry about the OP coming back and commenting on your comment.  😁

You say that NOW, but..

By definition, "flouncers" come back! 

I think they are made of Flubber.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm always a bit dismayed when I read this kind of reaction to the forum. Sometimes, it means we've failed. (Although sometimes it means the person is a jackass, too.)

Thanks. Good to know.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Always the possibility that those who don't see a problem are part of the problem.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.