💡 Positive News Regarding Scripted Agents Function 💡

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After the server update yesterday I was curious to see if any progress was made regarding the testing of the scripted agents restriction. I just tested this new function now and it appears to have been implemented on the standard Second Life server code. I even made a pretty picture of it.

Bots.png.6f6a50f0bc4671b69d4d4d2b8d3cedec.png

Here you have the full tutorial Scripted Agent Estate Access FAQ - deny_bots setting : Linden Lab (freshdesk.com)

For those who want to block scripted agents aka bots entering their region or sim or Homestead here is the easy to follow version.

1. In the Second Life viewer you need to select the Developer Menu. 

2. You select the consoles option in the Developer Menu

3. You select Region Debug Console (not the Debug Console but the REGION DEBUG CONSOLE)

4. In the new window which you see above you type this:      Set deny_bots TRUE

5. To verify you did it correct you type this:  Get Deny_bots this will give you a confirmation that you activated the setting. I do not think a sim restart is needed after activation.

*If you do not see the Developer menu in your viewer you press CTRL + ALT + Q

This is an informational post to make people aware of this new feature, please don't post meaningless replies of anything off topic. Thanks to @Linden Lab to implement this in a timely manner.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Count Burks said:

After the server update yesterday I was curious to see if any progress was made regarding the testing of the scripted agents restriction. I just tested this new function now and it appears to have been implemented on the standard Second Life server code. I even made a pretty picture of it.

Here you have the full tutorial Scripted Agent Estate Access FAQ - deny_bots setting : Linden Lab (freshdesk.com)

For those who want to block scripted agents aka bots entering their region or sim or Homestead here is the easy to follow version.

3. You select Region Debug Console (not the Debug Console but the REGION DEBUG CONSOLE)

5. To verify you did it correct you type this:  Get Deny_bots this will give you a confirmation that you activated the setting. I do not think a sim restart is needed after activation.

This is an informational post to make people aware of this new feature, please don't post meaningless replies of anything off topic. Thanks to @Linden Lab to implement this in a timely manner.

Thank you for this :)

I take it this will only work on the ones that have been registered and not work on the ones that have not been registered?

I hope it does help those that they are bothering in private homes and places they want to be rid of them..But at the same time, if it is the case of only working on registered scripted agents, Some may just go under ground to bypass it.. Some may just exchange the registered for unregistered and continue with what they were doing..

Hopefully for those that want or need this it works out, my fingers are crossed for them.. May the odds be in their favor.. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belindacarson said:

Still old news.

you must be fun at parties.  🙄

But to the OP.  For reasons, I wasn't expecting it this week and so I'm glad to see it rolling on out and getting some notice/attention here in this space.  Thanks. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Count Burks said:

Now, put it on the Mainland, please. Oh, and Bellisseria. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Count Burks said:

Should have posted this earlier:

Today I learned about the "Region Debug" concept! I wonder if that existed back when I owned a region?

Thanks again for the technical information!

34 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Well if enough people ask Linden Lab might do it. Also people who are renting land on a private Estate can simply ask their Estate company or Landlord to switch on this function, it is not even needed to Restart the region.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Problem is that technically it's right there on Mainland and Belli too now. But same as on estates it's only accessible to estate manager. Which we mainlander aren't. We would need something like the scripted agent flag made visible to lsl scripting if we want to have an equivalent.

So this is the end of roaming bots? My bot, which has a profile that states exactly what it is doing, and has had zero complaints in the last 12 years, can no longer teleport into some Linden-owned, completely open, and completely public regions (No access teleport is the message). So products like my Ban Line HUD that depends on a benign bot are just going to have to die? A large number of people are using it. Are they just to be left out in the cold? We need a way for "approved" bots to roam, or a lot of products are going to suffer.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.