Second Life Mobile 2023 - First Look

Linden Lab

1 hour ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

TBH, how are they going to vet who has time and skills to find bugs and flaws? Would this just be on your say so?

I am happy that they are only offering this to premium plus members for right now. I finally can justify the cost of my membership and it's nice they gave us this perk.  They had to start somewhere and I guess they figured that if you are paying for premium plus you are actually using and investing in SL. (don't come at me with arguments that isn't the case. I know full and well it isn't a guarantee)

I get that it's disappointing to those that pay for premium and not premium plus.  Maybe the alpha test will go well and soon premium members will get access.  

As for free members, they should get access once it's fully released to the public. (yes, free doesn't mean you don't spend money or are not supporting LL)

Also, what company doesn't use perks to "lure" entice members to upgrade their membership. That's how they make money. You make it sound like it's criminal.

Read the last line of their announcement of today.

The Lab even thinks that people will upgrade now, only to have a chance to do alpha testing for them.
Yeah right. That is not how the software industry normally works. Most of the time there is even something in it for the testers apart form early access.

It is another blunt example of Philip's Love Machine dream at work. They want the alpha and beta testers to pay for their efforts.  Brilliant. 
Do you know why this still isn't the industry standard after all these years that mr. Rosedale is dreaming this dream already? I do.

The new phone browser is so important to become a success for the further development of SL.
But, not my company, not my livelihood, only a part of my entertainment.

Why do I worry about it?  I won't any more. Yesterday I was really baffled about this approach.
Now I think kudos for the Lab if they succeed. They should be competent enough to handle it. Look how often they already put a successful product in the market. They know what they are doing.
Owwww..... wait..... 

But not my beer anymore. I just shrug and move on after this post.
Maybe visiting the last Shop'n Hop sims? The ones I skipped so far?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Read the last line of their announcement of today.

The Lab even thinks that people will upgrade now, only to have a chance to do alpha testing for them.
Yeah right. That is not how the software industry normally works. Most of the time there is even something in it for the testers apart form early access.

It is another blunt example of Philip's Love Machine dream at work. They want the alpha and beta testers to pay for their efforts.  Brilliant. 
Do you know why this still isn't the industry standard after all these years that mr. Rosedale is dreaming this dream already? I do.

The new phone browser is so important to become a success for the further development of SL.
But, not my company, not my livelihood, only a part of my entertainment.

Why do I worry about it?  I won't any more. Yesterday I was really baffled about this approach.
Now I think kudos for the Lab if they succeed. They should be competent enough to handle it. Look how often they already put a successful product in the market. They know what they are doing.
Owwww..... wait..... 

But not my beer anymore. I just shrug and move on after this post.
Maybe visiting the last Shop'n Hop sims? The ones I skipped so far?

I agree, LL should buy me an iPhone!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I agree, LL should buy me an iPhone!

If LL buys me a new android phone, I will be more than willing to upgrade to Pplus  and spend a few hours every week testing the alpha mobile viewer 🙃  If they throw in a pizza (peperoni, none of that pineapple nonsense) once a week, I'll do an extra report or two for that week.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

TBH, how are they going to vet who has time and skills to find bugs and flaws? Would this just be on your say so?

I am happy that they are only offering this to premium plus members for right now. I finally can justify the cost of my membership and it's nice they gave us this perk.  They had to start somewhere and I guess they figured that if you are paying for premium plus you are actually using and investing in SL. (don't come at me with arguments that isn't the case. I know full and well it isn't a guarantee)

I get that it's disappointing to those that pay for premium and not premium plus.  Maybe the alpha test will go well and soon premium members will get access.  

As for free members, they should get access once it's fully released to the public. (yes, free doesn't mean you don't spend money or are not supporting LL)

Also, what company doesn't use perks to "lure" entice members to upgrade their membership. That's how they make money. You make it sound like it's criminal.

There are many residents who have been in SL since almost the beginning who have never been any sort of premium member.  They know more about how SL works in front and behind the scenes yet they'll have no input into the mobile viewer.  

There are people 2 months old who have become premium plus customers who have yet to learn even a small percent of SL.

Who would I want testing?  Your account status has no bearing whatsoever on your ability to assess the new viewer.  At all.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There are many residents who have been in SL since almost the beginning who have never been any sort of premium member.  They know more about how SL works in front and behind the scenes yet they'll have no input into the mobile viewer.  

There are people 2 months old who have become premium plus customers who have yet to learn even a small percent of SL.

Who would I want testing?  Your account status has no bearing whatsoever on your ability to assess the new viewer.  At all.

I am not disagreeing with this at all.  However, wouldn't you say the mobile app is aimed to bring new users into SL? They had to pick a group to test it out before it was released to the public testing things such as bandwidth, log in issues, navigation.  Any user can do this whether they are old or new.  We also don't know what the future plans are for alpha testing but as usual there is never anything nice said about something LL does.  A lot of this forum is bitter and unsupportive of anything they do.  If they had released it to only premium users then the premium plus users would come here and b*tch about not being included.  Whatever they do someone is not going to be happy.  

How would you have proposed that they figure out who would be a good candidate to test the mobile app.  Send a survey out? Interview people?  Look at login stats? 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

I am not disagreeing with this at all.  However, wouldn't you say the mobile app is aimed to bring new users into SL? They had to pick a group to test it out before it was released to the public testing things such as bandwidth, log in issues, navigation.  Any user can do this whether they are old or new.  We also don't know what the future plans are for alpha testing but as usual there is never anything nice said about something LL does.  A lot of this forum is bitter and unsupportive of anything they do.  If they had released it to only premium users then the premium plus users would come here and b*tch about not being included.  Whatever they do someone is not going to be happy.  

How would you have proposed that they figure out who would be a good candidate to test the mobile app.  Send a survey out? Interview people?  Look at login stats? 

I agree. And not just because I'm ploos.

• Haha 1

Paying a company to be their alpha tester is kind of out there.  The pool of candidates that they will have available which have premium plus accounts, as well as the hardware and software requirements, in addition to the technical knowledge to test the alpha viewer out is going to be much smaller due to their choice.  The project could suffer as a consequence.

Unless this is just some sort of preview, then sure, it is a perk.  Still though, a perk that is likely to be filled with bugs, connectivity issues, possibly locking up their phone, perhaps causing problems with their avatar's inventory, possibly sexting everyone in their friends list or groups by accident, losing linden, possibly purchasing linden, the list goes on and on.  This is still alpha after all.  

I'm not saying this because I'm jelly, I couldn't do it regardless due to my phone not being up to the specifications required.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, kipperthedog said:

I can’t join the testing of second life mobile because they said I’m not allowed to be on that page because I can’t sign up 

Are you premium plus?
If not, forget it.

It also means we’re looking for your help in making it better. 

Not Premium Plus? Upgrade today at https://secondlife.com/premium

This is Linden Lab and Second Life. One has to pay up.
Even if one wants to volunteer to help.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Always edit a good responce. 😏
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Trimmer Navarita said:

The email links to this chat are rubbish  - hi Sid - yes I’m a premium plus member - god knows if you’ll see this reply, the notification links do not take one to the post 

I don't use notifications by mail.
I simply regularly check the threads that I'm interested in.

Check your e-mail spam box. It might be very well possible that the notifications land there if you don't exclude Linden Lab mails.
I had that when I started as a merchant and let me send a mail for every purchase.

1 hour ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

Needs Android 13. How peculiar of a situation for me, my phone is too low end to run SL but my desktop is more than enough. I wonder how many people are in this situation.

I think people are under-estimating how many people are gonna sneak on SL during work with the mobile client.

Ah, wanted to try it. I can run Unity apps on my Android 12 phone. The SL mobile viewer runs on Unity, yeah? 

ETA, nope I don't have a paid account, just another free roaming Resident.

Edited by JeromFranzic
Clarifying my account level on SL
  • Sad 1

I think alot of software companies do this. the alpha is for just a few people, like friends and family and some testers. then the closed beta for a more. id guess PP for the alpha, Premium for the closed beta then open it to anyone to apply for an open beta before release.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sire Sands said:

I don't have PREMIUM PLUS, just premium. but I want to be alpha test!@!

We'll have to come back, 1 year!

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Got my "Test Flight" invite today..we shall see if it works on my iPhone or not, and/or whether being told to "go get Test Flight" means "wait for more invites".

Best of luck 😊 keep us updated

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Istelathis said:
2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Got my "Test Flight" invite today..we shall see if it works on my iPhone or not, and/or whether being told to "go get Test Flight" means "wait for more invites".

Best of luck 😊 keep us updated

I'm in! Guess I won't upgrade my phone until I find out that it makes a big difference.

• Thanks 1