Second Life Mobile 2023 - First Look

Linden Lab

6 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Back on topic, I'm happy to wait until LL and all the unpaid suckers volunteers have got it nice and all polished up before taking a look.  Would definitely be handy to use from time-to-time but I cannot imagine using it a great deal personally.

Sure, understood.

However, if you were to check the questions people DO post about Mobile viewer, in general they are in 1 of several categories: "When?", "Will it work with my XXX?", and "Will it have XXX feature?".

I think the Forum would be well-served with a thread for people to ask those same questions and see answers, possibly in General as I suggested to Rowan:

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was thinking about starting a topic such as "Mobile Viewer Update Thread" in General, since a lot of people may only read General and this thread really doesn't get any love at all.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I haven't heard very much about it in a while, new world notes does have some updates on mobile though

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2024/01/second-life-mobile-app-ipad.html

Their source's blog

https://juicybomb.com/2024/01/second-life-mobile-app-for-ios-private-alpha-test/

I think it's going to progress faster than most realize. LL started with the most difficult bits, rendering AVs and the world. Adding things like inventory, IMs, friends list, etc are a lot easier to do than requesting assets from a server and rendering them on a mobile device.

I don't have access to the mobile viewer on my device, I'm not prem plus and my phone is too slow and old. But I have seen it and it's the most optimistic I feel about an LL feature/upgrade/product I've felt in a while. Just as long as they don't go totally public with it too soon.

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sure, understood.

However, if you were to check the questions people DO post about Mobile viewer, in general they are in 1 of several categories: "When?", "Will it work with my XXX?", and "Will it have XXX feature?".

I think the Forum would be well-served with a thread for people to ask those same questions and see answers, possibly in General as I suggested to Rowan:

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Adding.. @Rowan Amore @Gabriele Graves, this thread is really about the "First Look" at Mobile.

The questions in this thread are more from people asking when they can get it, etc.

Possibly this thread would be a good candidate to "close"!

As this topic is really about the first look all the questions that can be answered about the mobile viewer are only really possible from what's been shown in one form or another from first look to early adopters.

After 12 pages in, I cannot disagree that this topic has probably run it's course.

Not sure there is much point to people asking those questions at all though.  You know what kind of answers they get about "when".  There hasn't really been a set of posted hardware requirements I can tell even now except Android and iOS which is a pretty broad catch.

"Will it have X feature" is also the kind of question to generally goes unanswered or have vague hand-wavy answers.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

As this topic is really about the first look all the questions that can be answered about the mobile viewer are only really possible from what's been shown in one form or another from first look to early adopters.

After 12 pages in, I cannot disagree that this topic has probably run it's course.

Not sure there is much point to people asking those questions at all though.  You know what kind of answers they get about "when".  There hasn't really been a set of posted hardware requirements I can tell even now except Android and iOS which is a pretty broad catch.

"Will it have X feature" is also the kind of question to generally goes unanswered or have vague hand-wavy answers.

Part of the reason I suggested "moving on" from this specific thread is, "First Look" - to me - means what LL showed everyone in the early videos, etc. and really isn't related to the testing and "what we've learned" since that "first look" . (Just my opinion.)

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Part of the reason I suggested "moving on" from this specific thread is, "First Look" - to me - means what LL showed everyone in the early videos, etc. and really isn't related to the testing and "what we've learned" since that "first look" . (Just my opinion.)

It's an opinion I agree with as well.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Plus, I just created a thread about it:

ETA ARRRGH I should have created it in the "Mobile" Forum! At least it will get more visibility in "General". (I won't ask for it to be moved.)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

Hello Im testing the new app. I love the sky, the environment. But I have some problems. I can’t sit in anything. My iPhone 14 burns when It is charging the word. In the list of groups, under some it says “user offline” and if you write in the group it says “user offline” and people don't read. This app is a dream for me. Thanks 

IMG_3336.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Niem Dakota said:

Hello Im testing the new app. I love the sky, the environment. But I have some problems. I can’t sit in anything. My iPhone 14 burns when It is charging the word. In the list of groups, under some it says “user offline” and if you write in the group it says “user offline” and people don't read. This app is a dream for me. Thanks 

If you are having problems with the app, I would advise you to submit feedback using the official Canny for that.  This is just a thread to inform users about the changes.  Note that LL does closely watch any Canny posts about the Mobile app, respond/reply and send periodic update emails.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Honey Hadisson said:

Sorry for my ignorance and indisponence: Lumiya did ALL this years ago, why can't Lindenlab do it?

(Sorry for my english...u.u)

You are I think, the second person who supports Lumiya posting on the Forums. The other person is very outspoken and posts about Lumiya all the time.

To answer "why can't Linden Lab do it?"  They ARE doing it. That's what this mobile app is.

• Like 2

The app it is a dream. It is better than lumiya. I love the sky. I love the shine of the light in the trees, in the sea. I went to a full place and I could see the objects right away, I was able to sit down (I still don't know how I did it :) ) I love the app. If they have achieved that, I am sure that they will be able to use Second life mobile exactly like entering with the computer. I am very happy to be part of this project

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You are I think, the second person who supports Lumiya posting on the Forums. The other person is very outspoken and posts about Lumiya all the time.

To answer "why can't Linden Lab do it?"  They ARE doing it. That's what this mobile app is.

• Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Penso che tu sia la seconda persona che supporta Lumiya postando sui forum. L'altra persona è molto schietta e pubblica continuamente post su Lumiya.

Per rispondere "perché Linden Lab non può farlo?" Lo stanno facendo. Ecco cos'è questa app mobile.

I haven't used Lumiya for many years, since it was no longer legal. I wonder why Linden Lab is taking so long to create an app similar to Lumiya. linden lab is rich, she has very skilled developers, it's taking a long time. my question is this.

11 hours ago, Niem Dakota said:

L'app è un sogno. È meglio di Lumiya. Amo il cielo. Adoro lo splendore della luce tra gli alberi, nel mare. Sono andato in un posto pieno e ho potuto vedere subito gli oggetti, sono riuscito a sedermi (ancora non so come ho fatto :)) Adoro l'app. Se ci riusciranno, sono sicuro che saranno in grado di utilizzare Second Life Mobile esattamente come accedere con il computer. Sono molto felice di far parte di questo progetto

I hope it will be like this

On 2/25/2024 at 4:04 AM, Honey Hadisson said:

I haven't used Lumiya for many years, since it was no longer legal. I wonder why Linden Lab is taking so long to create an app similar to Lumiya. linden lab is rich, she has very skilled developers, it's taking a long time. my question is this.

Lumiya was never designated as illegal but only removed as an official third party viewer. I asked Oz Linden about that specifically when he was still in charge. There have only been a couple viewers that I know of made illegal as they were being used for nefarious purposes and SL blocked their use on the grid. Lumiya is still being used by some of us though there are some limitations now with the protocol changes and lack of support for BoM. It still can be useful for groups, IM and notices in spite of its limited 3d view functionality. If one still has the viewer on an old phone or download, it can still be transferred to a newer phone and used until such time SL releases their version.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Voyager said:

Lab Gab about Second Life mobile development been delayed or something because its not been uploaded on the Second Life YouTube channel ? 

I think it's probably been delayed due to a recent SL controversy that could affect personnel, including who might be interviewed for the video.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope the release of SL Mobile will not lead to overcrowded places, where „mobile“ people are just standing around and doing nothing …

And yes, I know that we have the same with people being „away“ actually today  … but what worries me is that the number of inactive people will dramatically increase with the ability to access SL everywhere via mobile and eventually turn good hotspots in SL to laggy places …. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CherryChantal said:

I really hope the release of SL Mobile will not lead to overcrowded places, where „mobile“ people are just standing around and doing nothing …

And yes, I know that we have the same with people being „away“ actually today  … but what worries me is that the number of inactive people will dramatically increase with the ability to access SL everywhere via mobile and eventually turn good hotspots in SL to laggy places …. 

Maybe SL needs internet cafes, where people can have their avatars just sit around while they chat in groups, IMs or on Discord? That could be the ultimate meta of recreating inworld what they're doing in RL anyway.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Maybe SL needs internet cafes, where people can have their avatars just sit around while they chat in groups, IMs or on Discord? That could be the ultimate meta of recreating inworld what they're doing in RL anyway.  

Or office spaces where people are just sitting at their desks, chatting in IM or Discord when they should be working.  😂

• Haha 3