Second Life Mobile 2023 - First Look

Linden Lab

thanks @Wulfie Reanimator & @Flea Yatsenko for your comments. i didn't consider sl already has the rating system in place, so liden labs could very well limit the ios and andriod versions to be only general and mature sims/content. which i think would be the best bet if apple decides to nuke the adult side out of the mobile sl.

I agree with you flea maybe if the sl app  ends up leaning more g or m rated, it'd be nice to see more stuff created for those categories. not everyone comes to sl for the sexual stuff.

Edited by Devilgrey
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 3:31 PM, Trinity Blakewell said:

I'm curious how the mobile viewer will handle the purchase of user created items in general, given that the app stores get a cut of developer add-ons. 

As far as the Adult stuff, there are plenty of people in SL for whom that is not a priority, and the release of the mobile viewer may increase those numbers. Or, mobile users could choose to just go about their adult-rated activities in the desktop viewers.

One issue I can see is that some skin shops are on adult sims

i'm not personally worried myself about not being able to do naughty stuff on mobile. i only dabbled in erp a few times and that was over a year ago now. i'm worried if liden labs has to restrict the mobile viewer to g or m rated sims it'll affect stores, and other non-sex sims that happen to be on a-rated lands.

edit: on second thought, if mobile sl ends up being barred from accessing a-rated content, it may incentivize mobile users to download sl on their computers. so maybe it won't be all that bad?

Edited by Devilgrey

Looks good, but I feel like the end product will not be like the demo, specially on the rendering part. 

There are more than I can count sims out there who are very heavy on prims and can make high end desktop pc struggle at times, let alone a mobile device that can't even come close in hardware power.

I see it to be mostly used as form communication rather than actively interacting with the virtual world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 4:12 PM, Trinity Blakewell said:

I looked back over the demo video recently and I believe there's no shadows. I don't mind sacrificing shadows on a mobile viewer.

On one hand, shadows seem like an optional feature. On the other hand, they aren't too demanding on modern hardware (including mobile devices).

Take a look at the difference in our SpeedLight mobile rendering on an iPad. Adding shadows doesn't affect FPS but definitely enhances the visuals.

There are many nuances (like which objects should cast shadows and which should receive them). However, skilled developers can certainly tackle this challenge.

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 00.17.06.png

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 00.16.54.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Glaznah Gassner said:

On one hand, shadows seem like an optional feature. On the other hand, they aren't too demanding on modern hardware (including mobile devices).

Take a look at the difference in our SpeedLight mobile rendering on an iPad. Adding shadows doesn't affect FPS but definitely enhances the visuals.

There are many nuances (like which objects should cast shadows and which should receive them). However, skilled developers can certainly tackle this challenge.

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 00.17.06.png

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 00.16.54.png

I hope we get both Shadow Dancing, and Shadow Boxing!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, akiresu said:

I'm curious to know how they did the migration of Secondlife to be compatible with Unity owo

The neat thing about Second Life is that pretty much everything happens server-side.

In simple terms, the viewer just displays the world as it is, having no control over its behavior. (That's why we call it a "viewer.")

And so, because the world isn't dependent on the client implemention, it's relatively painless to use any game engine as a viewer. There's nothing to migrate. 🙂

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Monique Bellambi said:

I can't wait until I can play from my chromebook.  Sometimes I just want to hop on really quick or my kids are hogging the desktop. This would be great.

Can you please check if SpeedLight viewer runs well on Chromebook? We have no such device available for tests

• Thanks 2