Second Life Mobile 2023 - First Look

Linden Lab

On 12/19/2023 at 12:09 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Did anyone else use mobile yet besides me? I posted a couple photos..

Yes, I am in. I am not going to participate in this thread though because of all the potential drama. I'll test it and report back to where they asked us to on Canny.  There really is no need to report back here to people not in alpha testing so they can argue back and forth about how stupid it is or how they should be the ones testing it. :)

• Thanks 4

Just now, Sam Bellisserian said:

I'll test it and report back to where they asked us to on Canny. 

I only got notification about Canny replacing Discord, and no Canny info. I even filed a ticket asking for the Canny info. So, I can't participate in that.

Anyway, I agree with you in general. It is interesting that so many people have an opinion yet they don't know about the mobile app itself.

I do plan to continue to post mobile pics on the "what does your SL look like today" or similar thread (AFAIK, no one told me not to).

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 2:00 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

II do plan to continue to post mobile pics on the "what does your SL look like today" or similar thread (AFAIK, no one told me not to).

I can't speak for everyone, but IMO those of us who don't yet have access still want to know about people's experiences, as long as it doesn't violate an NDA or something similar.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2023 at 7:55 AM, Sam Bellisserian said:

Yes, I am in. I am not going to participate in this thread though because of all the potential drama. I'll test it and report back to where they asked us to on Canny.  There really is no need to report back here to people not in alpha testing so they can argue back and forth about how stupid it is or how they should be the ones testing it. :)

Thanks for your ultimate bragging.
Sorry that there are no golden testers name tags in world. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Thanks for your ultimate bragging.
Sorry that there are no golden testers name tags in world. :D

You seem really butthurt you weren't asked to be a tester for the mobile app.  You have two choices.  Upgrade to PP+ or quit bitching about not being able to test.  IMO, you wouldn't even be a good tester as every post you make is against LL. Why in the world would they want someone like you testing a new feature they are releasing.  Get over it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

You seem really butthurt you weren't asked to be a tester for the mobile app. 

Not at all. I don't play games on my phone.
I just would have organized the testing differently, if it were my company that's all.
I would have chosen for a more result orientated approach.
LL has chosen to monetize and hope for the same results that way. Personally I think the phone viewer is to important to use that second path, but it is their company so their show. I hope they will get the desired results this way.

6 hours ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

IMO, you wouldn't even be a good tester as every post you make is against LL. Why in the world would they want someone like you testing a new feature they are releasing.  Get over it.

About my skills: You don't know hardly anything about me and this thread is not about my skills or the lack of it.

I did not mention my beta testing in the past because I wanted to do it now too. It was just to mention that I know how it can be done. I was never in the market to do so for this new software, I was only very surprised that LL chose the path they have chosen, when so much of their future is riding on this for SL. This new device has to become a success to achieve new growth.

I never was in the market. I'm retired, enjoying my retirement with as little obligations as possible.
If I feel like a road trip tomorrow, I'll go. If I want to sleep late tomorrow morning, I'll do. If I want to do something  SL related, I have a to do list for my tiny marketplace shop.

If I were in the market, I would have contacted LL directly, no public application through their website, which I didn't either, you read that somehow into it.

Edited by Sid Nagy

Out of curiosity from another thread involving shortcuts, I wonder if there are gestures for the mobile viewer, such as showing transparent objects, sitting, running, flying, opening your places or multiple other windows.  Games such as Eternium make heavy use of them, and it is a pretty nice feature.  SL is not quite as twitchy and in need of them, but I find them kind of fun regardless  

For those of you in the know or even just using alpha, have you noticed any such gestures while using mobile or perhaps stumbled into any?

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Out of curiosity from another thread involving shortcuts, I wonder if there are gestures for the mobile viewer, such as showing transparent objects, sitting, running, flying, opening your places or multiple other windows.  Games such as Eternium make heavy use of them, and it is a pretty nice feature.  SL is not quite as twitchy and in need of them, but I find them kind of fun regardless  

For those of you in the know or even just using alpha, have you noticed any such gestures while using mobile or perhaps stumbled into any?

Nope, but it doesn't mean Mobile won't have those things someday.

ETA: Not sure about chat gestures, didn't try that yet. Haven't noticed audio support (although something may be there). 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1

For those of you testing, I have been curious for a while how much of a drain on the battery SL has on your phones, as well as if you notice your phones getting a bit warm while running the app?  One of my earlier concerns was with battery life as well as battery longevity.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

For those of you testing, I have been curious for a while how much of a drain on the battery SL has on your phones, as well as if you notice your phones getting a bit warm while running the app?  One of my earlier concerns was with battery life as well as battery longevity.  

I only perform short tests, as I am not very imaginative. (Plus, I get frustrated at the difficulty navigating with walking and flying.) So, I did not notice any difference in battery life. But, I did notice my phone gets warm. I suppose "phone getting warm" indicates more CPU (thus more power) usage.

Noting, I use an old iPhone XS, which I was surprised and pleased actually "works".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Re: Battery. 

It drains about as fast as any other 3D game, I'd say it's on par with pokemon go when you keep it active. My phone does warm up some but not much, unless I charge and run the app at the same time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Dragon Mommy said:

Re: Battery. 

It drains about as fast as any other 3D game, I'd say it's on par with pokemon go when you keep it active. My phone does warm up some but not much, unless I charge and run the app at the same time. 

I figure, if my phone wasn't literally ancient (iPhone XS), I'd not care as much about the battery usage (but perhaps it would still get warm).  Newer phone = more efficient battery usage.  

I need to use the app more, once they get some of the navigation tweaked to be easier.

But except for issues wearing Flexi, and certain of my Furry avatars, and some attachments, it LOOKS good. So far.

IMHO.

• Like 2

So conclusion nothing much just in process.. Lol. 

Well it's 2024 nw n SL still nothing much it seems.

The mobile issue was so long drag n the download on what on mobile no specific even if we use the t/p app it will not be ok for mostly mobile or Android. 

Anyway too long waiting. I take a break from SL, better play IMVU mobile for now, kind of frustration waiting for SL Mobile to really play on it.  Just hope that it's not to late when the SL mobile is really operating good that time but users SL are really leaving already for better mobile gaming better the SL. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

All I can say is that I seriously hope that, once the closed alpha testing with Premium Pro residents is deemed to be finished, there is a closed beta testing with regular Premium residents 🤣

Especially those who have been faithfully paying for their Premium account for the past twenty years (well, 19½...). <hint, hint>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Fraser Lisle said:

Still yet to see a single screenshot from anyone involved in the alpha... Am I looking in the wrong place?

Yes. There are several threads where I myself posted screen shots.  Just a few, I don't spend much time using it. 

Unfortunately, I don't recall seeing screen shots posted by anyone else. This could be because a) there are not many people on the Forum who are testing, and b) some people seem reluctant to post anything about Mobile in case they are violating some agreement.  (I don't remember any such agreement.)

This is just an "official" thread. 

Basically - as with any "closed Alpha" testing program, you probably should not expect to see many details unless you are part of the testing program.

On 12/26/2023 at 3:03 AM, Istelathis said:

What do you mean by "gestures" in this context?

If you can explain that, and it means what I think, then I can answer for a few of your examples.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What do you mean by "gestures" in this context?

If you can explain that, and it means what I think, then I can answer for a few of your examples.

They are like keyboard shortcuts, for example when you zoom in on your mobile screen using two fingers.  For a browser you can scroll up or down using an up or down gesture with one finger.  A gesture would be like drawing a circle on the screen to open the inventory, or drawing an "m" on your screen to open your map. You might draw a "B" to go into build mode.  Something like taping the screen with two fingers might teleport you to where your camera is located, things that make it more convenient in SL.

On some phones they also have air gestures, which use the camera to perform actions on the phone basically like SL puppetry (considering they were working on this, for the PC perhaps it got shifted to the phone)   In such a case, it might be possible to wave hello at your phone and your avatar would use a wave animation, or you could shake your head "no" and your avatar might likewise shake it's head no.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Thanks 1