Second Life Mobile 2023 - First Look

Linden Lab

38 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

They are like keyboard shortcuts, for example when you zoom in on your mobile screen using two fingers.  For a browser you can scroll up or down using an up or down gesture with one finger.  A gesture would be like drawing a circle on the screen to open the inventory, or drawing an "m" on your screen to open your map. You might draw a "B" to go into build mode.  Something like taping the screen with two fingers might teleport you to where your camera is located, things that make it more convenient in SL.

On some phones they also have air gestures, which use the camera to perform actions on the phone basically like SL puppetry (considering they were working on this, for the PC perhaps it got shifted to the phone)   In such a case, it might be possible to wave hello at your phone and your avatar would use a wave animation, or you could shake your head "no" and your avatar might likewise shake it's head no.

The mobile app has "gestures" for movement (a "joystick" area on the screen), Fly/Land (tapping an area near the joystick), and Sit/Touch (although I'd hardly call "long press" a gesture).

Unless I missed something, that's literally all so far. Personally, I wouldn't call any of those "gestures" in the normal "screen flick/swipe" sense except maybe the joystick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:
2 hours ago, severinus41 said:

When this will be available for Android ?

Yes.

Oops sorry, I missed the "when".

The "Alpha" testing for Android is available now, just like the "Alpha" testing for iOS.

But yes, general availability will be 

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Soon™

4 minutes ago, severinus41 said:

can someone give me the direct link to download it 
?

No, you have to first change your account "Premium Plus", then put in the request to join the Alpha testing program, then if they accept  you into the program they will send you a link..

Here is a link to one of the original "news" articles, which has a link to the "sign up".

On 3/10/2023 at 11:56 AM, Linden Lab said:

Learn more about Second Life on mobile, and other upcoming features, changes, and our roadmap for 2023 on Lab Gab. In this episode our VP of Engineering Mojo Linden shared that a beta version of Second Life mobile will be coming later this year. Keep an eye on this thread for future updates!

Still waiting for none vip/subscription users to be able to use this app. Still not on iPhone apple App Store. 

I’ve been in secondlife since clay people I’ve been waiting for this a long long long time and they failed us once before so I am on edge that there is no updates and no game footage from anyone but staff/linden labs. 

What are the updates? Also on a search it says 2022-2023 why? You said it’s suppose to come out in 2023 and here we now are 2024 and it’s acting like it went under in 2023 and started in 2022. 

On 3/12/2023 at 5:41 PM, Flea Yatsenko said:

This is fantastic. And I hate to get too far ahead of myself but great job going with a standard game engine. Unity can also work on Windows, Linux, WebGL, PS4/5, Xbox one and X|S, Oculus, Android TV, tvOS, Switch, etc. This could be huge for reaching new markets and it could easily be the biggest thing to happen SL since mesh.

I’d absolutely love to see them put it on Xbox one and newer. That would be awesome to play it on consoles.

• Like 1

LL sends update emails to the Alpha participants regularly, about changes that are being worked on. These updates seem to go out about weekly.  The have links directly to user reports, with the Linden replies, etc.  So the process is very, very transparent to those of us in the program.

Since I joined the program, I only saw one new "release" announced of the viewer app.  (The changes must mostly be server-side.) 

I've occasionally seen references to things I missed or didn't try yet, like group chat, etc.

38 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Is the mobile ap ready yet? If not, why not.

No. We are in Alpha testing.  After that comes Beta testing. Then release.

There are lots of features to be added.

Not sure if your question was serious..

35 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Also why is this thread hidden so far inside the forum that the sun doesn't shine here.  Is it so no one will ever see it, sigh.

If nobody comments on it, then you won't see it pop-up in the "unread".

And, probably most people aren't aware of the relatively new "Mobile" Sub-Forum under the Technology Forum.

That's not "hidden".

Again, I am not sure you are serious.  Maybe you don't spend a lot of time in the Technology Forum?

Threads don't "become invisible".  Most people just read recent posts, in the General or "Your Avatar" section.

Sorry they can't make everyone happy.

27 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

@Love Zhaoying Many do not bother to actually look at anything outside of very specific categories and have the viewpoint that if it is not in General Discussion (up in the first Category) or in one of the places they frequent ... Then it is either buried or does not exist.

Yes, I know popular posters who don't use the "unread feed". Since I always do, it is hard to remember that.

One odd thing about this thread (buried or not), is that is is an "official" post - that allows comments. 

There aren't a lot of those, and the fact this one is "buried" probably explains why it doesn't get more posts.

I think a lot of us more "frequent" posters also depend on "news" about certain items. If there's "no news", then..there's "no news".

I expect there won't be more news about the Mobile effort until some major change, such as finishing the Alpha program, etc.  Why? Because nobody can SEE those changes (unless they - LL - post another video of it).

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, I know popular posters who don't use the "unread feed". Since I always do, it is hard to remember that.

I never use the unread feed.  I just see which topics are highlighted as I scroll through. 

The ones with the SL hand on the left side that are highlighted have unread content.  If I tap on that, I can designate it as read even if I haven't read it.

Screenshot_20240127-214412.thumb.png.a09c1a878cf33d9173c1642918386fec.png

8 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:
10 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I never use the unread feed. 

Yep! I was referring to our conversation about it. 🙂

Do you think that if other people use the Forum as you do, maybe they miss posts such as in this thread because the post "rolls off" the "recent posts" status (due to "not enough recent updates"). Or perhaps, as shown in your screen shot, "mobile" is far down enough that people using your method may miss the updates if they don't scroll down?

The point, being on topic: I was thinking about starting a topic such as "Mobile Viewer Update Thread" in General, since a lot of people may only read General and this thread really doesn't get any love at all.

• Like 1