Second Life Mobile 2023 - First Look

Linden Lab

That has to be the most mental thing I have ever read. That they expect us to pay for the privilege of alpha testing the mobile viewer. Sadly, I am only in the peasant premium category and therefor not able to apply. I don't understand why though, there are many of us who have been on Second Life for years now, don't have PP, or premium at all, and have a much better understanding of how things work than most people that DO have PP.

Get it together LL, this is your user base you are talking about. I can see it now....

"We released the new mobile viewer today. However, unless you are a PP member, we have locked most of the necessary features behind a PP paywall, upgrade 'here'".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

That has to be the most mental thing I have ever read. That they expect us to pay for the privilege of alpha testing the mobile viewer. Sadly, I am only in the peasant premium category and therefor not able to apply. I don't understand why though, there are many of us who have been on Second Life for years now, don't have PP, or premium at all, and have a much better understanding of how things work than most people that DO have PP.

Get it together LL, this is your user base you are talking about. I can see it now....

"We released the new mobile viewer today. However, unless you are a PP member, we have locked most of the necessary features behind a PP paywall, upgrade 'here'".

They do because they can.

They simply accept that there will be a lot of more or less useless mainly vanity applications along the route.
LL doesn't need hundreds of good alpha testers. If 5 - 10 of the people who apply are really usable for alpha testing, they are good for the project.
They will concentrate on those 5 - 10.

The rest they basically just let dabble around.
"Thank you for your highly appreciated input. We have send it straight away to the right place in our organization".
(The trash can.)

And as a side effect they might get new PP sign ups ($$$$$$$$$) and free early advertisement by the vanity only and blogger applicants.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trinity Blakewell said:

If you have Test Flight already installed for another app, do you need to uninstall and reinstall it?  I got it a while back to test another app. Not that it matters anyway, at least right now.

No

Personally, as a user who's been on SL for nearly 18 years, I thought I'd make a good tester for a mobile viewer (even spoke to support over this.)

In RL, I'm a shift worker so I extensively use Lumiya when I'm at RL work to use SL.

I use it on mobile data, not on Wifi.

My signal strength varies throughout my shift from 5g to 4g to 3g.

However as I'm "merely" a grandfathered premium user from 2006 and not "premium ploos" I don't qualify.

Sad to say, you've lost out on a ton of connectivity data and user interaction data there (which my claim is easily verified by you checking connection logs).

But, it is what it is.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

He's saying he would be an ideal test-user because he uses mobile viewers a lot.

Then say: "I utilize mobile viewers often" and do not name drop a long deprecated viewer - the only user/person who really ought to be doing so in any context related to LL's own mobile viewer is the Lumiya Dev or the Dev of any other Mobile Viewer if pitching their expertise/services in an effort to join the existing team or offer them improvements.

Beyond those scenarios, which mobile viewer you've used is irrelevant here.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

In fairness, I've seriously though about comparing Speedlight functionality to the official SL Mobile functionality. Since Speedlight was basically promoted by Grumpity (stating they actually used it), etc.

But at some point I was disillusioned enough by Speedlight (maybe 6 months or more ago) that I don't even want to use it to compare.  Because "we know" the official SL mobile viewer will be "better in the end".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Then say: "I utilize mobile viewers often" and do not name drop a long deprecated viewer - the only user/person who really ought to be doing so in any context related to LL's own mobile viewer is the Lumiya Dev or the Dev of any other Mobile Viewer if pitching their expertise/services in an effort to join the existing team or offer them improvements.

Lumiya is the only mobile viewer of any note so I'd say saying Lumiya is basically synonymous with "mobile viewer" right now.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Lumiya is the only mobile viewer of any note so I'd say saying Lumiya is basically synonymous with "mobile viewer" right now.

That's nice.

Lumiya is no longer being updated - it is deprecated. Check the TPV Directory and you'll see more than it as Mobile Viewers.

Simple fact.

So no, it is not "basically synonymous" with "mobile viewer" - it is a singular, deprecated/obsolete mobile viewer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

mmm no, it's not,.

As i stated - I use it on mobile data, with varying signal strengths.

The information that could be gleaned from this is understated.

Connection length, usability etc.

Issues in connecting to lumiya etc.

Stuff that could really have helped, as opposed to users whining and complaining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice.

Lumiya is no longer being updated - it is deprecated. Check the TPV Directory and you'll see more than it as Mobile Viewers.

Simple fact.

So no, it is not "basically synonymous" with "mobile viewer" - it is a singular, deprecated/obsolete mobile viewer.

No, it's not.

The viewer may be outdated for 3D mode, inventory management etc, but it still works perfectly for text chatting on SL.

It's still used by a lot of users, I once asked for stats on just how many use lumiya.

The information was not released.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah no - unless you're the Dev of a particular Viewer, name dropping any singular one in particular in these situations is absolutely unnecessary - beginning and end.

The information types you're suggesting would be "useful" are "useful" no matter what mobile viewer one has been using - end of.

Just now, bob Iwashi said:

No, it's not.

The viewer may be outdated for 3D mode, inventory management etc, but it still works perfectly for text chatting on SL.

It's still used by a lot of users, I once asked for stats on just how many use lumiya.

The information was not released.

Yes, it is. Wishing it is otherwise does not make it so - especially in this age wherein having 2FA as an option locks you out of using it if you have 2FA enabled.

It is outdated - beginning and end.

Here are your straws back - use them elsewhere.

Just now, Solar Legion said:

Yeah no - unless you're the Dev of a particular Viewer, name dropping any singular one in particular in these situations is absolutely unnecessary - beginning and end.

The information types you're suggesting would be "useful" are "useful" no matter what mobile viewer one has been using - end of.

That's why i tried to get on the test release.  As I said on my earlier posts, I've spent a LOT of time using it on mobile data, finding solutions to problems, best ways to connect.

You, on the other hand, seem more interested in trying to stir the pot.  I'm 17 years beyond caring for that kind of attention seeking, so blocked.  Have fun.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bob Iwashi said:

That's why i tried to get on the test release.  As I said on my earlier posts, I've spent a LOT of time using it on mobile data, finding solutions to problems, best ways to connect.

You, on the other hand, seem more interested in trying to stir the pot.  I'm 17 years beyond caring for that kind of attention seeking, so blocked.  Have fun.

That's nice. Not interested in anything whatsoever except making certain actual facts on this are being utilized and the actual history and present situation are understood.

You may call that "attention seeking" if you like - a response to my posts was not required of you.

Don't like being corrected? That's fine. Don't pretend it is anything other than what it is: Being corrected.

As for "attention seeking" - there is no need to announce blocking an individual. Block or do not - announcing it is nothing more than seeking drama.

11 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice. Not interested in anything whatsoever except making certain actual facts on this are being utilized and the actual history and present situation are understood.

You may call that "attention seeking" if you like - a response to my posts was not required of you.

Don't like being corrected? That's fine. Don't pretend it is anything other than what it is: Being corrected.

As for "attention seeking" - there is no need to announce blocking an individual. Block or do not - announcing it is nothing more than seeking drama.

Yo.  Dude.  You are ...  what are you doing again?  Explain it so Linden Lab can understand.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Confused 1